• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

The typical...or not...ex patriot.

What is so virtueous about you?

jostein
post 2.Feb.2013, 06:15 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 1.Feb.2013, 11:51 PM) *
I think Jostein is into his cups. Unfortunately, I understood every word.. God help me.

Hehe, yea, you right. And, well, i had a moment of clarity about that movie yesterday so i was obsessing about it a bit. Anyway, they call me loopy, i give them loopy smile.gif But i DO feel pretty embarrassed, so i wont reread what i wrote, if i ignore my drunken silliness maybe i will forget it?
Go to the top of the page
+
AW1
post 2.Feb.2013, 06:42 PM
Post #32

Are you telling us that you displayed emotions, even, dare I say it, some passion? Are you sure you're Swedish? Because we just don't do that... wink.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Feb.2013, 08:42 PM
Post #33

I know what you mean!

Sometimes the next day I read what I posted and I think...*those guys* made me...say that??? laugh.gif
+
entry
post 3.Feb.2013, 10:46 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 1.Feb.2013, 08:44 AM) *
Why do we call ourselves Ex-pats and not immigrants? I am an immigrant and accept it. I have no intention of moving back and indeed do not refer to my birth country as my ' ... (show full quote)

I was an ex-pat until after a number of years we decided that we would stay and I became a Swedish citizen. Now I do not even say I am an immigrant, I say I am Swedish.
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Feb.2013, 11:35 AM
Post #35

The definition of an Expatriate is a person that is temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing.

Doesn't matter if your a Swedish Citizen or not, You are still an Expat. wink.gif ...you could be a Swedish Citizen born and raised in the USA, but when You move to live in Sweden ...You are an expat biggrin.gif
+
Elf_Moon
post 3.Feb.2013, 12:53 PM
Post #36

Expat, Immigrant... All words to describe what is essentially a slightly redundant concept when concerning migration within Europe.

Migration has been going on since the beginning of time, people move about. I wouldn't be here without the help of a Scottish woman, an Irish couple and a Norwegian man... Then further back some romanians, some french people a few irish people... Going back, going back... Africans probably (at some distant point in the past considering that is where we are all apparently from, originally.)

Though border protection is important at this stage, of course. It simply isn't viable to allow full unadulterated migration between borders.

I just feel it's silly to really bother with a label when quite clearly... Most of us are a mixed bowl of various different key ingredients ^^ Though, out of habit I label myself and there's not much I can do about being an expat or immigrant or whatever one might choose to call oneself and outwardly I feel that I have integrated.

Though of course, I miss my home comforts on the odd occasion, I mean, on the inside I miss my hobbycraft and art shops always being around the corner should I wish to purchase some raw materials for whatever strange project I've decided to undertake at that particular time ^.^ But I'm certainly not about to boycott the governmental buildings over that minor issue.
+
Hamsterdam
post 3.Feb.2013, 01:23 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (entry @ 3.Feb.2013, 10:46 AM) *
I was an ex-pat until after a number of years we decided that we would stay and I became a Swedish citizen. Now I do not even say I am an immigrant, I say I am Swedish.

Yes you are as Swedish as tandoori chicken. Surprising how someone who so tediously and fervently supports the rights of the US and their dated constitution has had no qualms in ditching your country and take up Swedish citizenship, probably for the right to claim something or other that lines your pockets rolleyes.gif

No surprise though as a republican you are in it for yourself.
+
oddsock
post 3.Feb.2013, 02:27 PM
Post #38

I am not an expat as that would imply that I am from temporary leave from a country where I last lived in 1986.

I am not really an immigrant either, that implies that I want to set up shop in a single place.

No. I am a nomad.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Feb.2013, 02:52 PM
Post #39

You never get angry?
+
oddsock
post 3.Feb.2013, 06:11 PM
Post #40

I was going to say something like that when I wrote it, but I thought I'd leave the open goal for somebody else. I like to share.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Feb.2013, 06:17 PM
Post #41

laugh.gif
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com