• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

"The outlook for the Swedish economy is -

Deteriorating" - The Swedish Wire reports

byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 08:42 AM
Post #1

The "Swedish wire" has just published another article relating to Sweden's economy.
Judge as you will.

http://www.swedishwire.com/component/conte...ing-anders-borg
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering
post 23.Nov.2012, 10:22 AM
Post #2

No surprises there smile.gif

On the positive side: http://pandodaily.com/2012/11/20/why-tiny-...since-tel-aviv/
+
Visit
post 23.Nov.2012, 06:57 PM
Post #3

Qliktech was founded in Lund, not Stockholm.

So what if there is start up activity in Stockholm? The failure of start ups in any country is high, and Sweden is known for not being an entrepreneurial hotbed hence the government is strongly encouraging entrepreneurship. There are many obstacles to successful new ventures in Sweden, taxation being one of them, the Swedish mindset towards entrepreneurship is another!

It takes quite a while before start ups can be successful and can contribute or make a difference to the economy.
+
byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Did anyone the user comments in the second link posted?
As while there were many locals who were appreciative that such a nice article was written regarding their home country. It would seem that many of the user comments regarding the reality of living and working drew very stark differences to what was printed.
+
wondering
post 23.Nov.2012, 07:38 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Visit @ 23.Nov.2012, 06:57 PM) *
Qliktech was founded in Lund, not Stockholm.So what if there is start up activity in Stockholm? The failure of start ups in any country is high, and Sweden is known for not be ... (show full quote)

I don't have much experience with startups or Qliktech but yeah I agree that startups are exactly what they are by name. A really small company with an idea which will either hit it off really big or crash and burn.

But one thing positive in my opinion is that startups can perhaps help in a small way with the youth unemployment.
+
the_partisan
post 24.Nov.2012, 11:35 AM
Post #6

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/20/startup-g...a-lead-the-way/

Stockholm is not in the top 20. No doubt the non availability of housing, high taxes and restricted immigration is not helping.
+
skogsbo
post 27.Nov.2012, 08:15 AM
Post #7

http://www.thelocal.se/44674/20121126/
+
byke
post 27.Nov.2012, 08:46 AM
Post #8

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-26/s...gage-loans.html
+
skogsbo
post 27.Nov.2012, 08:57 AM
Post #9

which one is right, perhaps both, they both refer to personal debt being an issue, but both refer to active measures that are being taken to protect the banking structure.. so aren't you reporting on something good or positive?

ps. Looks like Greece has been saved for a few more months. Throwing good money after bad, or good after good.
+
byke
post 27.Nov.2012, 09:14 AM
Post #10

Skogs,
Listen.

While I don't disagree that I have posted news articles previously that some may seem as less than positive, the point in posting such stories has been to offer a greater range of news in English (regarding Sweden). Most news, irrespective of nation or boundaries focuses on the elements of information that is negative, as a way to make change. My point has been to try and attempt to present a more balanced structure of information, to help offset that of the bi-polar stories on the front page. (And notice I have mostly kept them within the swedish news section of the forum)

However TL's front page usually fore-fills the need for happy filler, in-between all the other stories which helps generate advert payments.

So in regards to this story, my last post merely looked to use other reports to get a better idea of the situation. I don't feel it is my place to always comment on all aspects of stories, as I don't always feel a view should need to be placed publicly. But that doesn't mean with holding useful information that may be beneficial for others to help make up their mind.

So in regards to the economy, who knows where its heading.
Maybe the latest forecasts is more positive, my point is that persons shouldn't rest on their laurels which is often the case regarding news and information in English relating to Sweden. But more importantly, if information being more easily accessed helps create more debate on important issues. Then its taken a negative, and looked for a positive.

Win/Win
+
skogsbo
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:56 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 27.Nov.2012, 09:14 AM) *
While I don't disagree that I have posted news articles previously that some may seem as less than positive, the point in posting such stories has been to offer a greater ... (show full quote)

I have to say, I never thought of it as a public service, I thought that you were just moaning about everything and anything, 24/7.

ps. Most people who can navigate their way to the discussion pages, are probably quite capable of googling "bad news for Sweden" 20 times a day. wink.gif
+
byke
post 27.Nov.2012, 01:03 PM
Post #12

Most news in public media focuses on accidents, loss or other alarming issues (with the majority of the news being items of concern).

One of the greatest issues Sweden faces is biased news.
Not just by how its reported, but what is chosen by the editorial in terms of public image perception.

By having members actively posting articles links concerning local news, it only helps give a greater insight to the larger picture, than what many simply see through the front page of TL (concerning English speakers).

Who knows, maybe the forum is having an influence on the stories on the front page.
Now we see a new story that would seem to concern similar issues discussed on this thread rather than yet another shooting in Malmö or some half assed journalist who has made the move to sweden and wants to print out another generic story as part of a project to keep themselves busy in the hopes they may find work in the future.

TL relies on AD sales (according to many) and discussions and interests keep punters flocking back. If stories can be linked on here, maybe ... just maybe it could have an influence on the editorial of the news site and help paint a more realistic picture of life in Sweden.
+
Mib
post 27.Nov.2012, 03:54 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (byke @ 27.Nov.2012, 09:14 AM) *
Skogs,Listen.While I don't disagree that I have posted news articles previously that some may seem as less than positive, the point in posting such stories has been to off ... (show full quote)

I would say that your comment above is balanced and acknowledging that the direction of the Swedish economy is unpredictable. I don't feel that you have done that in some of your previous posts. So...good on you.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com