• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Sweden vs Denmark

What do you think?

Opalnera
post 17.Aug.2014, 10:31 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 17.Aug.2014, 08:54 AM) *
I would take a different view, how many Swedes buy holiday homes in Denmark? If it was so great there, the summer traffic would be the other way around. Although legoland, exp ... (show full quote)

I have a friend who lives in Oslo, has a great job and absolutely loves the life there. It's expensive but they are also paid very well. A lot of Swedish kids go there for menial jobs but there are also excellent professional opportunities, got me thinking at least!

QUOTE (köttbulle med sås @ 17.Aug.2014, 09:18 AM) *
@Opelnera: yes I speak Dutch ( I am Flemish) as my mothertongue,Besides that I speak French,German,English and Spanish. All more or less fluent. I must admit my French is gett ... (show full quote)

I was very impressed with Brussels! It's like Paris except very clean and a lot less poverty. I must admit though, I was not at all impressed with Belgian food, apart from waffles (which I don't like anyway) and chocolates it was very average to me, lots of fried things. We spent some days in Ghent during the festival which was awesome and they had some great ethnic restaurants but for traditional Flemish and Belgian food it was just bland (sorry). We spent a bit more than a week this summer in Belgium. I liked some parts better than others, Ghent and Brussels were stand outs, the only place I really disliked was Antwerp which unfortunately was worst city I've been to in the whole of Europe and I've traveled around a lot.

Denmark is very fun, I spent a wild new years there a couple of years go. I found the Danish people a lot more welcoming than Swedes and they are a lot more relaxed, everyone drinks and smokes and doesn't care. In some ways it's good but in others you can really see that their less healthy lifestyle affects their health just by how they look (dull hair and skin). In any case I certainly love visiting Denmark and Copenhagen is a very fun place. The food is certainly underwhelming, they eat a lot of junk food.

Sweden is a big country so it's a mix. I live in Uppland which is probably the most boring part of Sweden as far as nature is concerned. The food is on the way up, a lot of chefs are being recruited from overseas and a lot of Swedish chefs have spent considerable time out of Sweden improving their craft. Even the delicate Swedish palate has an improved taste for flavour (not just cinnamon and cardamom) and Swedes pride themselves on cooking simple foods well. But still when it comes to cakes and desserts there is no rival for places like Germany or Italy.

I actually find myself missing Sweden when we travel. Which is quite funny because the first year I lived in Sweden I was MISERABLE.

Go to the top of the page
+
Parzival
post 29.Sep.2014, 12:34 PM
Post #17

So I have stated this in another thread but give it a go again.

I am currently on my way to move from Denmark to Sweden.
The reason is completly due to cultural reasons.

Danes are dull, boring and compeletly incapable of socalizing with other cultures. They dont know what small talk is an the culture is so extreme that I see no other alternative than moving to Sweden. The comformity is high in Sweden realtively to the USA, but in Denmark is is extreme. Danes are also obsessed with their rules, while in Sweden rules more serve as a recommendation. Only exception is alcohol.

I have both Danes and Swedish friends, and the difference is that swedes are a lot more comfortable in themselves, easier to chat about silly things with etc. When you talk with a swedem he will smile and laugh from time to time, while a dane will look at you with an indifferent expression no amtter if he is angry to happy.

Denmark is by far the most boring country on earth. Danes show absolutley no emotions what so ever, and if you are a non-danish speaker people will immediatley put up an unvisible barrier. Ever visited a danish party? Well, dont expect to meet new people because that something danes just dont like to do. They are uninterested in evrything new and this is very clearly depicted in danish society on both polticial and societaol level.

Swedes are a lot more outgoing, they are more than willing to try out other cultures, embrace changes. Sweden is now building skyscrapers, something danes would never do. DANES HATE TO GO OUT OF THEIR COMFORTZONE. Both the society and their people.
+
Opalnera
post 29.Sep.2014, 01:46 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Parzival @ 29.Sep.2014, 12:34 PM) *
So I have stated this in another thread but give it a go again.I am currently on my way to move from Denmark to Sweden.The reason is completly due to cultural reasons.Danes ar ... (show full quote)

Swedes are maybe more modern but on the social level they also dislike going out of their comfort zone.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options