• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

HARD .why is it so hard?

All became so difficult to live in Sweden

7/1
post 20.Oct.2013, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Hi,
Because i was living outside Sweden the Af can not help me , my friend told me that they can not send me to jobb centrum because i am not on Welfare or arbetlös on A kassan , so i am outside of those ´2 cases.
What shall i do , i need Money to help my wife paying the bills and i feel worthless , and my age is 42 and i do not find myself in school again at this age to learn SAS.
I KNOW that many of you will begin to shoot at me now by their harm words , so let us have fun ..
PS : a friend told me that it is not such a big deal if am arbetllös because there is actually in these Days 400,000 people who have not a work in Sweden so let it be 400,001 .Funny friend i have , but still need the Money.
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 20.Oct.2013, 10:50 PM
Post #2

I wonder if unemployment is much higher than stats released.

With so many people unable to live on state help, I do wonder if they are forced to attend adult schools just so they can take out loans to live on. And by doing so, the government can reduce the actual numbers of unemployed it releases.
+
Potentialexpat
post 21.Oct.2013, 03:00 AM
Post #3

Unemployment statistics all over the world only include active job seekers...Ie people who have given up or students on loans are not counted as "unemployed." The actual numbers of unemployed people everywhere is higher...Still I found getting work in Sweden to be way easier than getting work in Los Angeles. Actively looking for work in the summer I found 1 job. In Sweden not actively looking I found 2 part time jobs unfortunately I had to turn down a job as a dishwasher because it conflicted with one of my modules.

I do feel like Swedes are only after certain jobs, and ignoring others. It makes no sense a foreigner is able to find jobs so easily with such high unemployment. Granted I have also only had luck at finding part time work never ever full time.
+
Cusbot
post 21.Oct.2013, 08:32 AM
Post #4

Are you saying you don't want to go back to school because you are 42.
I can understand your point but if you are literally not doing anything and struggling to find work in Sweden education is your best option. On my last stint in education I remember some students were in there 60s+. Your not too old, just give it a go, what would you have to lose.
+
Ivor stephé
post 21.Oct.2013, 08:36 AM
Post #5

Education is simply being used as a last option for many, not because they necessarily want it or need it. But because the unemployment reality is a lot worse than being reported.

So education is simply becoming a excuse for many to be able to take out loans to survive and live.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Oct.2013, 09:12 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 21.Oct.2013, 08:36 AM) *
Education is simply being used as a last option for many, not because they necessarily want it or need it. But because the unemployment reality is a lot worse than being reported.

or, for whatever reason, their skills don't match those required in the work place.

It doesn't matter if it's an immigrant with a very poor or zero education, or the Swede with a worthless degree, they all need re-training to meet the demands of the work place.

Universities across the world churn out thousands of people, every year, whose chosen field of study is simply not needed.
+
Cusbot
post 21.Oct.2013, 09:16 AM
Post #7

Well I'm referencing this individuals question, he wants to know what he should do. By SAS I assume he doesn't mean the special air service or Swedish airline but Swedish for immigrants, maybe I'm wrong he can clarify that I guess. Learning Swedish would certainly increase his chances of employment in percentage terms.

"So education is simply becoming a excuse for many to be able to take out loans to survive and live."

Well I don't know about that, I would never claim to speak for the many. For this guy who has nothing to do it seems clear that learning or starting to learn Swedish would be a step in the right direction.

"unemployment reality is a lot worse than being reported."

How do you know If it hasn't been reported, case by case analysis? Do you have a link?
+
AgeOfReason
post 21.Oct.2013, 10:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (7/1 @ 20.Oct.2013, 11:22 PM) *
Because i was living outside Sweden the Af can not help me , my friend told me that they can not send me to jobb centrum because i am not on Welfare or arbetlös on A kassan , ... (show full quote)

OP, Your friend is wrong. If you are legally resident here in Sweden then you can register with Af as a job seeker, and they will create a plan with you, and also let you know what, if anything, you are entitled to with regards assistance. It may be a case of nothing, and the plan being go learn Swedish etc... but the main point is to register. If you do not register, then you cannot be classed as unemployed, and therefore also lock yourself out of future assistance with regards the programs that are available for long-term unemployed. Go register with Af.

As to the other question, Sweden like just about every other country manipulates it's unemployment figures indirectly. Sweden's unemployment figures have always been artificially low since youths are expected (made or little choice) to
stay in education until at least 19, and more often continue to early 20s so are not classed as unemployed. It also distorts the real figure with regards education, since those youths are not really learning anything, yet Sweden maintains it has a large number of youths that stay in education!!!

This is also why when you listen to the political parties, especially the Social Democrats, that they will reduce unemployment by either creating more jobs in the public sector (more cost to us tax payers) or push those unemployed into continued education!!! (again useless since they are probably not interested nor will learn anything useful). But, it will reduce for a moment the unemployment figures ...but doesn't actually create any real long term jobs.

As for those living outside the statistics/classifications, this was actually a result of a study done last year where they checked income declarations and unemployment registrations etc... and found there was 160.000+ people that were not registered as unemployed, not claiming any benefits, not declaring any income ...yet they survived??? The only conclusion is that they make money somehow, use your own intelligence to guess how! rolleyes.gif
+
Opalnera
post 21.Oct.2013, 11:49 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (AgeOfReason @ 21.Oct.2013, 09:44 AM) *
As for those living outside the statistics/classifications, this was actually a result of a study done last year where they checked income declarations and unemployment regist ... (show full quote)

Intelligence or imagination??? Bludging off parents, partners, cash jobs, living off savings etc. Probably not quite as seedy as one COULD imagine! My husband, before he met me, sat at home playing computer games for 3 years whilst his parents supported him (though they were not that happy about it).

Everyone has a different road, it's easier for some than others. I'm working harder than ever and getting paid less than ever, supporting myself with part time work and CSN but I'm getting by...thankfully with a lot of help from my husband!
+
Timbosaurus
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:04 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 21.Oct.2013, 09:12 AM) *
Universities across the world churn out thousands of people, every year, whose chosen field of study is simply not needed.

You're confusing education with training. Unfortunately, many governments do the same. Education is about teaching critical thinking, effective learning skills, and teaches a person how to learn reflectively, and how to improve themselves and their performance. The current inverse snobbery that exists around non-vocational higher education comes entirely from people who do not understand how academia actually works. It is not there to put you in a job.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:26 PM
Post #11

Nope, you are trying to make education mean something it doesn't. Education means learning to do a practical skill, or writing a thesis for a higher level piece of paper. It is all part of education, it's an all encompassing word, you just apply it in different ways. You can be educated in practical skills or trained to think critically, the words are interchangeable.

Yes, education is not there to put you in a job. But if you go to Uni and pick a degree, which you know is unlikely to lead to full time employment, then it's the individuals fault. No one elses. Even if your version was correct, most graduates, can't do any of those attributes you describe!

The problem is education isn't tied to employers demands and people are easily led into education paths by their friends and families, when they should be doing what they are best suited to or enjoy most, or what skills the world will need in 4,5,6,7 years time, not because university X is desperate for people for certain courses. What is often missing is honest career advice and independent assessment of just what potential talent people might have.

The problem is many of the non vocational courses are completely worthless, unless you are only doing them for fun, as many have no practical applications and only prove you can study for 1 or 2 years and spend the other one mainly drinking. Going to say Oxbridge and studying 'classics' isn't that relevant to most employers demands, granted one or two will finds jobs connected, 1 or 2 others will just remain in education forever, probably teaching 'classics' to future clueless souls in decades to come. The rest will go into jobs and never use what they learnt, even once, they'd have done better learning to plumb or weld!
+
7/1
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:41 PM
Post #12

Yes i feel silly , i can not imagine myself on my age someone has to go to school to get study bidrag because there is not other way to get the Money from, and i am not in that mood to go and sit again in a Place which i left it when i was 19 years old .
As for SAS matter yes i have finished the SVENSKA SOM ANDRA SPRÅK .
I will register myself at AF even that i know that they will not be helpfull for me , but anyway nothing to loose.
I LIKED the way that 160,000 did register as unemployed, not claiming any benefits, not declaring any income , it is the way of ( i will not give and i will not take). smart way .) to act in Sweden.
As for the lady (opalnera) i can feel and understand how your husband was feeling when he was worthless at that time , and hope no one will try those feeling.
As for the other things that you are talking about , none did mention a solution for me except go to af , to those unhelpful people.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (7/1 @ 21.Oct.2013, 12:41 PM) *
Yes i feel silly , i can not imagine myself on my age someone has to go to school to get study bidrag because there is not other way to get the Money from, and i am not in tha ... (show full quote)

but learning is a life long experience, I think courses are great, part or full time, weekend or evening classes etc. A chance to meet new people, learn a new skill.. it's what makes life more fun. The notion to me of learning to do something at 20 then not doing anything different for the next 40-45years is not a good one, how boring could that possibly be!?

Even if you spent the next 5 years in education, you could then spend the following 20years doing something you enjoyed, everyday and get paid for it. A bit of classroom time now is a small price to pay for the future joy of getting up in the morning and actually wanting to go to work?
+
Opalnera
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (7/1 @ 21.Oct.2013, 11:41 AM) *
Yes i feel silly , i can not imagine myself on my age someone has to go to school to get study bidrag because there is not other way to get the Money from, and i am not in tha ... (show full quote)

I left school in 1997 and now I'm in my mid 30s and I'm back...I am not the oldest there either.

I think it's a bit arrogant to say that you don't want to go back to somewhere you left when you were 19, you're in a different country suck it up.
+
7/1
post 21.Oct.2013, 12:59 PM
Post #15

A bit of classroom time now is a small price to pay for the future joy of getting up in the morning and actually wanting to go to work?

IT is not fun to go to work , my wife was about 5 years at home (hemfru) when i used to go to work in my country and now she is working and she does not feel the joy that u r talking about , her Dream now is to be a hemfru again all her Life long hehehe.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply