• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Iphone unlock shop required

Any good place in Stockholm

the fonz
post 20.Jan.2011, 10:51 PM
Post #1

I've a 3GS on firmware 4.2.1 - yes I updated it before I understood what it meant.
Basically it's out of contract and I want to switch operator. I've tried an online software download but it was a total nightmare and I've had to request a refund through paypal.

Can anyone recommend a place in Stockholm I could take it to?
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 20.Jan.2011, 11:16 PM
Post #2

By law, you can go to the phone house and pay something like 200 sek and have it unlocked if the contract has finished.
if you unlock it the other way, it will still become locked again if you need to update the phone in the future.
+
the fonz
post 21.Jan.2011, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Thanks byke - i'll do that cheers. cool.gif
+
Garry Jones
post 21.Jan.2011, 01:00 PM
Post #4

No need to pay if you are out of contract. You can unlock it with Apple's own tool in Itunes.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apples-official-iphone-3g-unlock/
+
byke
post 21.Jan.2011, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Gary, you cant unlock it in iTunes ... you have to go to the phone shop and do it.
But when they have entered your serial into their database, and when you go home and plug the phone into iTunes then it will inform you when it has been unlocked.

Phone companies are still allowed to charge a nominal fee to do this, even if your contract has ended.
I am not sure what it is in sweden, but usually its not more than 200:-
+
Garry Jones
post 22.Jan.2011, 03:25 AM
Post #6

Well if you follow the link you will see that its a service that is provided free of charge. Furthermore the Swedish consumer law dictates that the provider must allow you to unlock "out of contract" phones free of charge. This is covered by the Swedish Consumers assocciation. That there are a lot of phone shops around selling a free service is just the way the market is.

In Sweden it is not illegal to unlock a phone. But you still have to pay for any contract you entered into. In the first year the operator does not have to help you unlock it. After 12 months - even if you are still under contract - the phone operator must unlock your phone for you.

For instance, I have an iphone locked to 3. Its a 2 year contract, 750 crowns a month, free calls, free internet. After one year I can use the phone with telia and 3 have to unlock it for me but they can charge a "fair" amount for this. However I still have to pay 3 the 750kr for the remainder of the 2 year contract. After the 2 years 3 have to unlock the phone free of charge. I phone to their customer support and they send the details in to Apple who will unlock my phone on next synch.

All this is covered by the EU's "Unfair Commercial Practices Directive".

What I wish is that I knew back in May that the Iphone is the most overrated consumer product in history. It's horrible to use and has many small irritating little "features" that drive me mad.

OT, but my top four Iphone gripes:
1 Apple have not been able to make "flash" work in the iphone making ca 70% of interesting internet sites less interesting.
2 No num lock, - if you wanna key in 08 123 4567 you have to hit num again after the spaces as it takes you away from numbers.
3 No way to stop usb charge: - When I travel I need to tether the internet from iphone to pc, but when I do this it charges from the pc and runs the pc battery down.
4 Long delay on startup . ca 8 minutes to restart after plugging into mains if power lost during phone call.

I could go on... I never should have bought it... biggest consumer regret I have ever had.
+
byke
post 22.Jan.2011, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Well if you follow the link you will see that its a service that is provided free of charge.

As far as I read, bloke goes into store ... gives them his IMEI number ... pays his money ... and later when he connects his phone to itunes discovers it is then unlocked (and he was based in Finland).

Furthermore the Swedish consumer law dictates that the provider must allow you to unlock "out of contract" phones free of charge. This is covered by the Swedish Consumers assocciation. That there are a lot of phone shops around selling a free service is just the way the market is.

I think you are wrong on that, they are allowed to charge a nominal fee to unlock the phone.
And if you look at most phone contracts with operators it usually states this in the small print.

What I wish is that I knew back in May that the Iphone is the most overrated consumer product in history. It's horrible to use and has many small irritating little "features" that drive me mad.

Bad luck, I really like mine.

1 Apple have not been able to make "flash" work in the iphone making ca 70% of interesting internet sites less interesting.

This is because Flash is owned by Adobe, and the software is a mess.
Apple also stated from day 1 they were not going to support flash.
The industry has known this for a long time and this is why so may other companies jumped ship with Apple and we are seeing so much alternative formats (such as html5). Obviously you can hack your iphone and install it ... but it still sucks. But this isnt because of Apple, but in fact just piss poor code from Adobe. There is a app called skyfire that gives you the ability to run more flash content on your phone as all the processing is done server side.

3 No way to stop usb charge: - When I travel I need to tether the internet from iphone to pc, but when I do this it charges from the pc and runs the pc battery down.

You have 2 options of tethering (USB or Bluetooth) ... just use the bluetooth and you wont have this problem.
I cant see the USB draining any noticeable amount of battery since the charge is so low - but you can use bluetooth instead.

4 Long delay on startup . ca 8 minutes to restart after plugging into mains if power lost during phone call.

I have never heard of that, but maybe something is wrong with it.
Mine loads within 30 seconds.
+
mikewhite
post 22.Jan.2011, 09:23 AM
Post #8

Garry: it's not that Apple "have not been able" to make Adobe Flash work: they have actually made a decision that they will not support it. Same with Java. Both prohibited in the T&C.

It's because both these technologies are "interpretive" meaning the software can run on other devices, and Apple only wants people developing applications specifically for the iPhone, the way they say.

Flash works ok on Android phones running the Gingerbread OS so I have no doubt that Apple could quite readily have Flash if they wanted to, it's not a coding issue !
+
Corvinus
post 22.Jan.2011, 04:10 PM
Post #9

For fear of interrupting the mudslinging I have a fix for the OP. I actually went through the same thing last night unlocking my old iphone 3g which was locked to Orange - France. I haven't got the details to hand but when I get home from work I can post the link you need for the relevant software. After lots of digging to find the software needed it took me literally 10 minutes to both jailbreak and remove the network block on my phone, all free of charge.
+
mikewhite
post 22.Jan.2011, 06:02 PM
Post #10

Nice one ! Where's this mud ?
+
Mib
post 22.Jan.2011, 06:57 PM
Post #11

For the sake of 300sek, I would go to one of the phone suppliers and get it registered to be unlocked. I was charged by Telia to do this after 12 months. I bought the phone as a PAYG, but I used my company SIM. They told me it would take up to 5 days to be registered by Apple and then it would be unlocked when connected via iTunes.

You can jailbreak it using software downloaded from the internet, but you then have to wait for an update from the hackers ater a new release of Apple's iOS is available via iTunes. If you can be othered to do this, then go for it. If you're a lazy tech who has more imporant things to do than jailbreaking, pay the money and it will be worth more if you want to sell it anyway.
+
Pursuivant
post 26.Nov.2012, 12:01 PM
Post #12

Interesting. I have my old 3GS, I jailbroke it when I still had a year of the contract left. I then phoned the company and they said the restriction is automagically lifted when the contract runs out. So I didn't need to do anything but plug it in.
+
wmtat
post 6.Jan.2013, 11:15 PM
Post #13

hi, which operator did you have?
Mine was with 3. The contract ran out for 2 years. I went to the shop today, they asked for 350 Kr to unlock the phone.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options