• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Nice places to live 10 - 20 min from Stockholm

Which surrounding places are the best?

jtperezgautreau
post 11.Feb.2013, 08:40 PM
Post #1

My wife and I are moving to Sweden (Stockholm) in the fall and we're looking for places to live (we'll be renting the first 6 months or so and then we want to buy an apartment).

Which places around Stockholm are the best to live? (a place that we'll be about 15 min driving from stockholm center) due to our careers we need to commute to stockholm everyday, but we've been told the housing prices in stockholm will be a little bit high so we're looking for alternatives in case we cannot find anything in the center. (with center I mean stockholm city not particularly the old town or any district in particular).

Thanks for the help guys.

J.T.
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 11.Feb.2013, 08:46 PM
Post #2

15 minutes driving to the center could mean 100m in morning or afterwork road conditions, or a few kilometers on a Sunday! ...Your budget on what You are prepared to pay for an apartment, to rent and/or to buy, will be a much better judge of where you would be able to live! If money is no object, then you can get right into the center wink.gif
+
jtperezgautreau
post 11.Feb.2013, 09:09 PM
Post #3

thanks for the help.

We don't know how much the rent is, but for certain nothing crazy, but not student budget either.

normal I'd say.
+
PDX
post 11.Feb.2013, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Ok, I could not resist here - if you ask them, 95% of the population will define themselves as "normal", including this forum smile.gif .

First, ask yourself: do you want to live in the "real" Stockholm? If so, here is the definition, and all of these places are very nice to live in:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholms_innerstad

At the other end of the spectrum, you could live in the "Ryanair" definition of Stockholm, which is a gigantic 100km radius around the inner city.

It's your choice really rolleyes.gif

~~~~PDX~~~
+
jtperezgautreau
post 12.Feb.2013, 03:03 AM
Post #5

thank you I think we're open to finding a place in the "Ryanair" as you call it in case the real stockholm gets too expensive for us.

what I mean with "normal" is this, we'd be making around 3,000 - 4,000 euros monthly (25,000 - 35,000 krona aprox.). with this cash we need to rent, and cover our expenses such as food, transportation, cel phone, internet, etc.
+
StephenR
post 12.Feb.2013, 10:31 AM
Post #6

There's not a few snobby types on these forums so you'll find a variety of opinions on where is nice and isn't nice. You'll also probably find relatively drastic differences between different suburbs.

For example, we live in Brandbergen in Haninge, about 20km south of Stockholm city. It's about 45 minutes by public transport, 20 minutes driving in lightish traffic. It's neither particularly good nor particularly bad.

We moved into a newly renovated apartment owned by Akelius and we're paying 11,500kr a month for a 4 room, 98 square meter apartment. A non-renovated apartment of the same size would probably be 9,500kr-ish. Go down the road to Jordbro which is more run down and you might find something for 8,500kr. There's a fairly sharp housing crisis in Haninge so prices are quite high though.
+
Roux
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:04 AM
Post #7

I moved to Kungsängen, from closer to central Stockholm, a little under a year ago and love it here. We're on the Bålsta train line and it takes just under 30 minutes to Centralen, a lot less to Sundbyberg and the Solna industrial areas and driving will be easier once they finish hacking the E18 to bits.
Just this little bit further out you get a lot more property for your pengar and even with the proximity to the city I feel like it's miles away what with the forest, lakes and farms around us.
An added bonus is the sports bar, next to the station, being really welcoming and not a pair of red strides in sight!
+
Pursuivant
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:33 AM
Post #8

if you ask them, 95% of the population will define themselves as "normal",

Nobody "normal" would contemplate driving in Stockholm center... nevermind the congestion charges. laugh.gif
+
Pursuivant
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:40 AM
Post #9

There's not a few snobby types on these forums so you'll find a variety of opinions on where is nice and isn't nice.

I warmly suggest Rinkeby, Tensta or Fittja as the first stop to stay. After that anything is nice laugh.gif
+
byke
post 12.Feb.2013, 11:55 AM
Post #10

With all due respect, I find the suburbs of Stockholm extremely depressing.
Just the environment of relentless repetitive architecture of low cost housing and generic retailers.
Usually consisting of a local food store, 2 or 3 hairdressers and maybe some fast food crap.

Somebody also mentioned Jordbro ... What a depressing place that is.
+
axiom
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:00 PM
Post #11

I live in Sundbyberg, totally recommended.
+
PDX
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:04 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 12.Feb.2013, 11:40 AM) *
I warmly suggest Rinkeby, Tensta or Fittja as the first stop to stay. After that anything is nice laugh.gif

Actually a quick ride on the blue line with a 5 minute walk around each of the stations of Rinkeby, Tensta and Hjulsta should be sufficient rolleyes.gif .

~~~PDX~~~
+
edd1
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:19 PM
Post #13

I'd reccomend Lidingö!

An island just outside the city, 10-15 mins by car or around 30 mins by pubic transport into town. Not the cheapest area to rent though, were paying 10500:- per month for 83sq meters with two bedrooms.

Nice if you like the outdoors though, there's a small ski slope, several beaches, outdoor pool and lots of nice walks!
+
Pursuivant
post 12.Feb.2013, 12:51 PM
Post #14

Actually a quick ride on the blue line with a 5 minute walk around each of the stations of Rinkeby, Tensta and Hjulsta should be sufficient rolleyes.gif .

Va sa du? Gillar du inte olika? laugh.gif
+
Lp74
post 12.Feb.2013, 01:34 PM
Post #15

There are always some idiots who want to put in negative comments that are not helpful at all!

Anyway, I live in Vällingby and find that it is really nice there. I also liked living in Bromma but it is more expensive.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com