• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

EU Elections in Europe

Will NOT Vote

Mib
post 25.May.2014, 05:17 PM
Post #1

I cannot vote for a corrupt organization that is both undemocratic and bearing no relation to the real world. It has not had its accounts signed off for a decade. It does not allow immigrants to vote in their resident country or at least allows it to continue. The politicians that are voted in disappear, enjoying the amazing benefits while enjoying no scrutiny from their home country as most people are not interested or don't understand what is going on!

But the main point is that only 33% of voters voted I the last EU elections and therefore has no legitimacy to rule. The EU's silence on this terrible statistic convinces me that the current powers are happy to continue like this.

I WOULD vote under 2 circumstances. One is that the election would not be valid if at least 60% didn't vote OR there existed a recognized NO VOTE to signal/register a person's dissatisfaction with the choices on offer and/or the current EU. I won't hold my breath on either.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 25.May.2014, 06:08 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Mib @ 25.May.2014, 04:17 PM) *
I cannot vote for a corrupt organization that is both undemocratic and bearing no relation to the real world. It has not had its accounts signed off for a decade. It does not ... (show full quote)

Good post.
Ivor the Engine had a post like this the other day and slagged me off as i will not vote. Many people forget that we have the right to vote, it does not mean that we have to.
I choose not to vote as i do not trust these fat cats that are power hungry, have lost touch with reality and couldn't care less about the electorate. My not voting is a protest vote. To vote blank means in the politicians eyes that i am for the EU but couldn't decide what party to vote for
+
Willy
post 25.May.2014, 06:27 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Mib @ 25.May.2014, 06:17 PM) *
OR there existed a recognized NO VOTE to signal/register a person's dissatisfaction with the choices on offer and/or the current EU.

Blank votes are counted separately in Sweden for this very reason. In addition, if you want to make a statement, whatever you write as a party name, say, "Sweden leave the EU", will be officially reported in the election results. See the results of people's creativity in 2009 here: http://www.val.se/val/ep2009/slutresultat/rike/index.html

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 25.May.2014, 07:08 PM) *
To vote blank means in the politicians eyes that i am for the EU but couldn't decide what party to vote for

What makes you think that is the case? Besides, if you are against the EU, you have Euroskeptic parties right (SD), left (V) and center (Junilistan) to vote for.
+
intrepidfox
post 25.May.2014, 07:46 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Willy @ 25.May.2014, 05:27 PM) *
Blank votes are counted separately in Sweden for this very reason. In addition, if you want to make a statement, whatever you write as a party name, say, "Sweden leave th ... (show full quote)

If you are AGAINST EU then why should you vote. Using my vote in my opinion gives the fatcats joy to see that people accept the EU and their silly little games.

Also MP, many KDS, Socialdemocrats and center have Euroskeptic
+
TLSucks
post 25.May.2014, 09:41 PM
Post #5

Good for you, that means more voting power for me, suckers...
+
LLHope
post 25.May.2014, 11:37 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Mib @ 25.May.2014, 04:17 PM) *
But the main point is that only 33% of voters voted I the last EU elections and therefore has no legitimacy to rule.

Even if no-one voted it still has legitimacy, it has been given that by each Member State that has signed the treaty, pure and simple.

What is always surprising is that people are silly enough not to vote for a representative in a body that directly and indirectly control 70+% of Member State legislation! It might have escaped your notice but the EU Parliament is just the stepping stone to removing the Member State national Parliaments, what point do they play anymore, less than 30% of legislation is under their control. Social Welfare, Healthcare are on the road to being harmonised, duties are being harmonised, the only real main thing that is currently hands-off is taxation, but the EU Parliament have a sneaky move to try and change that by introducing indirectly their own EU wide taxation, though this is being fought against. What will now be interesting is if the EU sceptics hold the balance of power and if they can stagnate progress and continue their momentum in growing their support, and will the financial community and business community allow that to happen.
+
Mib
post 26.May.2014, 11:57 AM
Post #7

The EU has no legitimacy! Even more so with the corruption! Yes, the member countries agreed to the treaties etc, but only one or two put it to the vote in their respective countries.

The initial vote that most people had was before a lot of us were old enough to vote and then the vote was to create an EU pact regarding farming, free trade etc. Since then it has grown into something that was never agreed to by the voters in each country. That is why the right wing is growing, because the main parties are NOT listening to their voters. Have an IN or OUT referendum in each country and we'll soon find out whether the EU has legitimacy!

If the Swedish, UK and other non EURO countries decided to have joined the euro, we the voters would have unlikely ben consulted and look where that has taken the EU. Almost bankrupt if it isn't already.

I want to be in the EU, but it has grown into a monster that is out of control. We need to bring it back to basics and when changes are made that move laws/regulations to the EU, then it must be put to a referendum. The reason they haven't done this in the past is because they know that some votes would be a NO! And that is why the EU does not have legitamcy in my eyes. Bullying people, forcing changes against their will is not democracy. Until the main governments start listening, then the right wing will contnue to grow and people will eventually protest on MASS if we continue as we have down in the past.
+
gplusa
post 26.May.2014, 12:07 PM
Post #8

I agree. The big flaw in the EU design is the uncontrolled freedom of movement. That's where they have completely lost control and that is what most people are annoyed about. Norway stuck, in principle, to the old EEC format, and that has turned out to be a smart move. The issue of population movement needs to be sorted, just not through the methods suggested by the fruitbat parties. I think the the EU could work just fine if the physical border controls were reinstated.
+
gplusa
post 26.May.2014, 12:12 PM
Post #9

I view the EU vote as not just voting for who you want to be in charge of making the decision, but to make sure that you do your best to not let in those whom you DON'T want to be in charge of making the decisions. Those nasty little parties are very good at getting their own supporters along to vote.
+
intrepidfox
post 26.May.2014, 03:40 PM
Post #10

Sorry to swear but really politics is a load of bollocks
+
trumanshow
post 26.May.2014, 07:44 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 26.May.2014, 02:40 PM) *
Sorry to swear but really politics is a load of bollocks

Here, here..or is it hear hear.

Unfortunately this common sense view of the current political climate is opening the door to a rather unsavoury element. It seems that the people most interested in voting are small minded bigots who would see us only mixing on holiday in the costa del sol. Its very sad that the people who rally against the money wasted in EU bureaucracy will now spend the next 4 years ramping that up whilst lining their own pockets. Its the sort of racket you could never imagine possible. The EU is not going to be disbanded, noone is going to leave, the situation is just going to create further dis-ease amongst the people and member countries which will ultimately prove 'the haters' right. A self fulfilling prophecy so to speak. I think we have some tough times ahead and not because of the 'evil' romanians that you might find yourself living next door to.
+
Willy
post 26.May.2014, 08:05 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (gplusa @ 26.May.2014, 01:07 PM) *
I agree. The big flaw in the EU design is the uncontrolled freedom of movement. That's where they have completely lost control and that is what most people are annoyed abo ... (show full quote)

What are you talking about? Norway has freedom of movement of persons with the EU.
+
Mib
post 26.May.2014, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Switzerland has freedom of movement within the EU, but recently had a referendum where the majority decided to stop this agreement. Will be interesting how the EU will react to this? Will they overreact to demonstrate what will happen if others dare to take the same route or will they just make a token penalty and hope people don't notice?
+
gplusa
post 26.May.2014, 08:38 PM
Post #14

The advantage that both Switzerland and Norway retain is that they are only bound to EU conditions by bi-lateral agreements, which they are free to renegotiate at will. As Switzerland is currently considering. Countries bound by EU law are much more limited in their options.
+
Willy
post 26.May.2014, 08:48 PM
Post #15

No, they're not. Why would the EU agree to "re-negotiate"?

Norway could at best leave the EEA and lose all benefits from it. Regarding Switzerland, the EU has been very clear that they can't pick and choose the parts they like. It's all or nothing.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description