• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Gothenburg in Lonely Planet top cities to visit

Pity there's no flights!

pearldrummer
post 14.Jan.2013, 09:32 PM
Post #1

My daughter moved from living with us in the Manchester area to living in Gothenburg over 5 years ago. Visiting was never a problem as there were direct flights from Manchester to Landvetter with City Airline and for a while with Easyjet which was fantastic because they were so much cheaper! Now there are no more direct flights, the only way is usually via Copenhagen, Munich and such like, it's expensive and it takes all day.
I was frustrated today to read that Lonely Planet picked Gothenburg as one of the best destinations for 2013 along with places such as Rio de Janeiro, that would be fantastic except that it's impossible to get to Gothenburg easily from most of England!
Last week I read an article about Ryanair's CEO Michael O’Leary being in Gothenburg discussing flights, I only hope he recommends a route between Gothenburg and North West England to plug the gap.
I contacted Ryanair about this gap in the flight routes and apparently my email has been forwarded to their 'New Routes Manager' as 'all suggestions are given due consideration' the reply also said that 'Ryanair are continuously looking at potential new routes throughout Europe'
If anyone else wants to suggest a Gothenburg / NW England route here's a link to do it (hope it works) ...
http://frd.ie/complaints/
otherwise go on Ryanair's website, click 'Contact Us' where the 'Compliments or General Complaints' leads to a 'Contact Form'
I've done a similar message to Easyjet as well http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/ask
Ah well fingers crossed that one day it won't be such an ordeal and expense to get to see my daughter sad.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Taxalien
post 14.Jan.2013, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Norwegian flies from Manchester, but not directly. Probably as slow as going via CPH.

About 1800 kr return I think.
+
Hede
post 14.Jan.2013, 10:01 PM
Post #3

I grew up in Gothenburg its a lovely city I flew to England before easyjet came and flew later with easyjet , it was very cheap and easy but its sad to see that they dont fly there anymore , you should check flights here maybe they got a change but cheaper http://www.skyscanner.se . I liv in sthlm now and there are flights all the time but not from Manchester , I toke British Airways from Manchester to Sthlm but that cost me 1200 kr one way .
+
pearldrummer
post 15.Jan.2013, 01:22 AM
Post #4

Thanks for your replies, I think my daughter will probably try Norwegian next time, they seem to be more reasonably priced than Lufthansa!
I had a look at the 'skyscanner' website but as I suspected, the only way to get to Gothenburg is to go via another airport, it's so time consuming and tedious ... and expensive!
It was brilliant when Easyjet were doing the route, I wish they would do it again, soooooo cheap and easy, we could get to Gothenburg faster than we could drive to Cornwall.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 15.Jan.2013, 03:48 AM
Post #5

BA flies directly from MAN to GOT, however, they mostly cater business travellers so the tickets are horribly expensive.
+
byke
post 15.Jan.2013, 11:52 AM
Post #6

I don't really see what the problem is.
The ticket prices are based on what people are willing to pay in relation to demand.

If easyjet have decided to pull said route, then I highly doubt it was because it was making huge profits. And given that no one else is offering anything similar only adds to such suspicions.

Yes it may be more expensive for you, but thats the cost of getting to a place which is less popular than other destinations.

As for Lonely Planet declaring GBG as a "best destination".
Thats not exactly true is it.
Its been referenced more so as as a best destination for skin flints.
And I find that somewhat hard to believe.

http://www.goteborg.com/en/Do/Best-value-destination/
+
skogsbo
post 15.Jan.2013, 12:19 PM
Post #7

Going via Copenhagen and getting the train isn't too bad. In the past I've picked up cheap sas flights, but sadly these are usually to the southern UK. A cheap price is usually price you pay for some extra travel inconvenience. BMI is sometimes cheaper than easyjet too. I just don't think there is demand for another NW UK carrier going specifically to gbg.
+
byke
post 15.Jan.2013, 12:23 PM
Post #8

I must disagree, the train from GBG to CPH is dire.
Its close to 3 something hours one way and is horrible to travel on.
+
skogsbo
post 15.Jan.2013, 12:35 PM
Post #9

If you book ahead it is cheap, its warm, you get a seat. What else do you want, if you are not prepared to pay the higher price to fly direct? I think people expect too much, first class style travel at ryan air prices? It's a question of economics. The cph airport / rail set up is better than most airheads.
+
byke
post 15.Jan.2013, 12:44 PM
Post #10

Do they offer reserved seats on that train?
In the past, I found that even travelling first class is also often full.

Its not an X2 is it? - I am talking about the same train that is used for common folk to go over the bridge.
+
entry
post 15.Jan.2013, 01:26 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 15.Jan.2013, 12:23 PM) *
I must disagree, the train from GBG to CPH is dire.Its close to 3 something hours one way and is horrible to travel on.QUOTE (skogsbo @ 15.Jan.2013, 12:35 PM) If you ... (show full quote)

I have only taken it back and forth between GBG & CPH a little more than a handful of times. Always booked on the Internet thought it was pretty good. Had one problem during a winter snow storm and they had to put us on buses. This struck me a bit odd as I would think that trains would be better to maintain in the snow. After my incident I have read reports of claims that the rail service was beefing up their train track snow removal equipment and procedures.

This is not rocket science and in snow country it is a no-brainer even without the huge rotary front snow blowers.

Attached Image
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 15.Jan.2013, 06:02 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (entry @ 15.Jan.2013, 02:26 PM) *
I have only taken it back and forth between GBG & CPH a little more than a handful of times. Always booked on the Internet thought it was pretty good. Had one problem duri ... (show full quote)

It is snow/ice building up in the railway switches that is the main problem. Snow on the tracks is easy to plow away.
+
oddsock
post 15.Jan.2013, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Yes, you can reserve seats on the Öresundtåg. You then have the power to kick whoever is sitting in your reserved seat number out of their seat.

Another alternative is to take the Öresundtåg to Malmö and then switch to the XJ2000 train from Malmö to Göteborg. Not much faster, but much more comfortable.

The connection should improve if they ever finish the tunnel through the Hallandsås.
+
Willy
post 15.Jan.2013, 07:56 PM
Post #14

Currently, there is no SJ service on the West Coast Line, only the Öresund trains (Öresundståg). I travel with the latter regularly, although on the South Main Line towards Alvesta. For me, they are fine for a journey of a few hours, although they can get crowded at times. It is quite convenient to be able to take them directly from Copenhagen airport to wherever you are going in south Sweden.
+
Hamsterdam
post 15.Jan.2013, 08:33 PM
Post #15

If you fly via Copenhagen then get off the plane and stay there. Gothenburg is nice but it's no Copenhagen.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN