• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Family wins residency fight for senile mum

The Local
post 19.Dec.2012, 09:04 AM
Post #1

A Colombian-Swedish family is rejoicing after learning that a decision to deport their 78-year-old grandmother has been reversed on account of her deteriorating health.

"A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders," daughter Maria Larsson told the Aftonbladet newspaper after hearing her mother, Luzlinda, would be allowed to stay in Sweden.

Luzlinda has lived in Sweden for the last two years with her only daughter's family, but their attempts to get permanent residency were rejected by the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).

Subsequent appeals to the Migration Court of Appeals and the Migration Supreme Court of Appeals (Migrationsdomstolen and Migrationsöverdomstolen) were also rejected.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
RobinHood
post 19.Dec.2012, 11:23 AM
Post #2

It is quite right that the ailing Luzlinda should be allowed to see out her golden years in Sweden. But it is also quite right that Swedish tax payers cannot accomodate all the elderly people unlucky enough to live in countries like Columbia where there is no geriatric care.
If Mats and Maria Larsson invited Luzlinda to Sweden knowing it was unlawful for her to be here, they must be prosecuted and pay the consequences.
Perhaps also an invitation might be in order for the Columbian embassador to visit a few geriatric care homes in Sweden to encourage the Columbian government to properly care for its own citizens, instead of relying on other countries to do it for them.
+
k2kats
post 19.Dec.2012, 10:40 PM
Post #3

I was with you until your last paragraph, Robin.
I agree that every country should be encouraged to care for elders, but there is nothing "proper" about nursing homes; they're disruptive, disempowering, often depressing, and sometimes extraordinarily dangerous.
+
odinmp5
post 22.Dec.2012, 04:53 PM
Post #4

its colombia, columbia its some place in the united states.
colombia does have geriatric care , off course not perfect.
most elderly people in colombia, when unable to care for themselves will try to live with their children, which happily accept to take care for them. sadly european and american cultures, have this strange need to get rid of their children when they are 18, and to get rid of their parents when they are 60.
i dont know exactly but i dont think is the colombian government´s fault luzlinda left. colombia has the ICBF, again not perfect, but has made a serious change when it comes to abandoned children , elders and the mentally ill. my guess, ? luzlinda might be a target of some violent group , due to the land disputes in the colombian rural areas. WHICH THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING REALLY HARD TO SOLVE. get your facts straight!!
+
AnnaOtto
post 29.Dec.2012, 11:55 PM
Post #5

I would guess lots of expats reading the local. What would you guys do if you would have got married here, and 30 years after your parents in your home country are so bad they need your help? Would you not like have them by your side the last years?
If you are already in a situation like this. What do you do?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN