• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Is Telenor 4g portable broadband good?

Internet at home

amelie7777777
post 28.Jul.2012, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Hey everyone!

I wonder if anyone tried the telenor 4g mobile router? As I am in countryside, the speed looks better with telenor 4G then Telia normal broadband.

Looks like we can have up to 10 devices connected.

Just hope that the speed is regular.

The only bad things is if I take the home phone with them, then the prices to call in France
higher compare to telia.

Waiting for advices.

Thanks for your help.
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 28.Jul.2012, 07:38 PM
Post #2

From my understanding, 4G is still in Beta mode in the city.
So any outside place will or could see dramatic speed decreases depending on local phone exchanges and numbers of customers in the area ... And some how I cant see 4G speeds reaching such areas yet.

Personally I wouldn't sign up to something like such.
As paying a premium price for a service I dont think they could offer would be a waste of cash.
+
DaveN
post 28.Jul.2012, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Tele2 sent me a nice letter asking if I wanted to upgrade my mobile broadband to Turbo 4G Extra Fast, or something. Unfortunately, they should have targeted the mailshot to the areas where it is actually available, ie. Stockholm, Malmö and Göteborg. Here in the country the network only gives me 56K, so I suggested they might like to save the mailshot money and spend that money upgrading the network to the many millions that don't live in a large city.
+
amelie7777777
post 28.Jul.2012, 08:03 PM
Post #4

The offer I am speaking about is this one:

http://www.telenor.se/privat/mobilt-bredba...band/index.html

The coverage looks pretty good in my area, so I can get up to 32 mbit/s.
Only 16 mbit/s with telia normal broadband...

The offer is better then tele2 4g, Better coverage, unlimited data allowance.
+
Gordy
post 29.Jul.2012, 05:19 PM
Post #5

I'm looking to install Telenor 4G when we move house later in the year but can't help you with any feedback yet.

Even though we are in the coverage area I intend to install a high gain antenna like this on the roof so that we are sure of having the best signal possible.

As for the phone charges I would suggest that you get some alternative VoIP service and use that for calls rather than Telenor.

If you have friends or family in France you should be able to get a VoIP service with a French dial in number so that they call call you at local French call rates rather than International, that what we currently do with an Irish VoIP service.
+
Children Of Adam
post 10.Aug.2012, 12:55 AM
Post #6

4g or 3g, It disconnects one or two times a day, also depending on the traffic. As we know the wireless access points these days can not support million of customers and it becomes very slow so often.

I would prefer a 10 Mbps LAN than any wireless 3g or 4g. My advise is to avoid any sort of 3g or 4g if you can get a it via cable.
+
Essingen
post 10.Aug.2012, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Have used it in Stockholm for about 6 months without any problem whatsoever. Just done a speed test and found that it was giving speeds of 18 meg down and 5.7 meg up. However, this is slow and the speeds do indeed vary a bit.
+
amelie7777777
post 29.Aug.2012, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Hi, thanks for your answers!!!! I am moving to a new address in October, still don't know which company i Will use to broadband & Téléphone... I will ask to telenor if there is like a trial period so I can cancel if I am not satisfied.
+
amelie7777777
post 8.Sep.2012, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Any other users with good or bad feedbacks?
Thanks!
+
philios33
post 22.Oct.2012, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Just saw this post and I feel I must comment. My girlfriend has signed us up to a 2 year contract for telnor 4G for 249SEK/month. We live just outside of Gothenburg.

Good points are that bandwidth is usually around 20 or 30 mbps (never more than 30, seems to be capped when i do a speed test). And also that the pings are quite good if you want to use the dongle for sharing wifi for ps3.

Service has been absolutely fine except for a few periods where connections are just not being made. It is a strange problem, but I would say about 1 in 10 TCP connection attempts just take absolutely ages to connect (20 or 30 secs). I thought it was a DNS issue at first, or a problem with my laptop, but the problems seems to come and go. Today has been particularly bad, as well as a few days back in September. The symptons are that when browsing web pages, you sometimes dont receive all the resources (perhaps 1 .js file wasnt downloaded or a css file). The loading graphic stays there for ages and sometimes the whole page just times out. When you refresh, it usually works fine again. Its getting quite annoying now tho, well, annoying enough for me to write this post.

Anyone else with similar issues with browsing using Telenor 4G with HUAWEI dongle?

Also, there must be a service status page on their site, but cant find it.
+
philios33
post 22.Oct.2012, 04:23 PM
Post #11

What I would suggest is that you don't initially sign up for a long term contract. Speeds and service are only going to get worse as more and more people sign up to 4G. The fact that there are already problems is not good. But I don't know whether my problem is based on capacity or just a problem with Telenor network. This is a new technology (not even available in UK yet) and hopefully it's just a glitch that will sort itself out soon, but that said, I would not risk a long contract. Definetely ask for a trial, or shorter contract.
+
beefpatty
post 22.Oct.2012, 08:15 PM
Post #12

We have Tele2 4G broadband with a router and it is super awesome. The speeds you get are peeeeoooowwwww fast. I can see the mast from our house though, so I think that helps. The 30GB usage allowance goes fast though :sad:

I don't understand why people have landline telephones any more. Mobile and Skype are all you need.
+
beefpatty
post 22.Oct.2012, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Speedtest:

22 download and 14 upload 32 ping. That is in the evening at peak time and is pretty standard for what we get. Usually over 30 download in the morning. This is on a 30mbps package.
+
byke
post 22.Oct.2012, 08:49 PM
Post #14

I am on a fixed fiber through Telia and find that while the speeds are ok, Telia in general is absolute pants in regards to connection consistency. The past 2 months I have seen issues such as DNS handling go down more times than a cheap hooker on a swedish cruise.

So even if 4G mobile is fast at times, the backbone operated by Telia is under par.
And I would never sign a long term contract based on the service we have been provided with for these past 3 years (through the house).
+
EtoileBrilliant
post 23.Oct.2012, 10:59 AM
Post #15

Wow, I'm impressed I used Tre for their 4G and rarely get above 12Mps (central Stockholm). My feeling is that whilst Tre were excellent 3 years ago the competition has caught up with and overtaken these guys.

The biggest problem with any mobile broadband are the dilution effects from other users. Still for parsimonious people like myself with two houses, it suits me down to the ground.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description