• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
  Reply to this topic

Advice for språkpraktik

Which companies/industries are best to apply to?

tuborgian
post 30.Jan.2013, 10:31 PM
Post #1

I want to do a språkpraktik to help me with my swedish. Here in Gothenburg we apparently have to approach companies and organise it ourselves. I was wondering if anyone has any useful experience about which types of companies/industries to apply to.

I want to concentrate on speaking swedish and not neccessarily building up contacts (all my work is english speaking and I have quite a few contacts already in my profession - I just want to be able to speak the language for personal rather than professional reasons). So I'd like a position where I get to interact with people and am not given jobs where I'm shoved out the back and don't get to say two words to anyone as free labour.

I was thinking of museum, library or estate agent work. Does that sound at all realistic?
Go to the top of the page
+
Kn33grow
post 31.Jan.2013, 04:49 AM
Post #2

Just a waste of time. You will learn the language better watching TV instead of this useless sprakpraktik.

If you really want somewhere to practice,volunteer in a 2nd hand shop.
+
tuborgian
post 31.Jan.2013, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Really? Can you explain? I don't want to work for free and get nothing out of it. Anyone else with any other experience - positive or negative?
+
Puffin
post 1.Feb.2013, 05:12 PM
Post #4

I don't know that it is a waste of time as several people in my SFI ended up with permanent jobs from their språkpraktik in my SFI group (accounting firm/Sawmill/electronics company/school library)

My advice would be to
- make sure that you approach a company where you will actually get a speaking job as it is a waste of time if the roll does not involve talking to anyone - one of the guys in my group worked for the parks department weeding flowerbeds and did not see anyone all day/whereas another one who also worked for the parks department was tasked with running the summer minigolf course at the campsite chatted to people all day
- think about what sort of role you want - one in my group regretted her bakery praktik as she had thought about a nice bakery/coffee shop selling some cakes - but what she got was a commercial bakery on an industrial estate where the shift started at 04.30 and most of the work involved scrubbing baking sheets and tins
- shops were popular (people often got free stuff) also popular were schools, daycare, old peoples homes - also knew people who did a riding school and a daycare for dogs smile.gif
+
trumanshow
post 2.Feb.2013, 07:26 AM
Post #5

I would do praktik somewhere sociable. I didn't end up with a job but it led to friends and other opportunities.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: