• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Flights from Sweden to Aberdeen

...whatever happened to Ryanair

blackswedishbloke
post 29.Oct.2012, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Hi all!

I would like to go on a trip to Aberdeen in December from Göteborg.
I am checking different airlines but the prices Im seeing are expensive.. ouch! I never knew Ryanair which is well known and used as a cheap alternative has stopped going to Aberdeen :/
Does anyone by knowledge or experience know what airline has fair air rates to Aberdeen from Sweden.
Has anyone travelled by this route before?

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
sometimesinsweden
post 29.Oct.2012, 04:13 PM
Post #2

ryanair cancelled quite a lot of sweden/uk flights about 3/4 years ago, i think when the newspapers revealed how much the swedish municipalities were paying bribes to the airline to get them to fly there.

they cancelled gothenburg/dublin, the mid-day gothenburg/stansted one and 2 scottish ones (aberdeen and glasgow i think) and also cancelled the other smaland hub they were going to open - the one near jonkoping.

theres way too much competition on swedish flights to make too many viable - easyjet got bounced out the gothenburg/gatwick route a while back and lost a lump on it - it was always only half full when i flew it
+
JulieLou40
post 29.Oct.2012, 10:27 PM
Post #3

I think you're going to have to fly to Edinburgh and then get the train.
+
Yorkshireman
post 30.Oct.2012, 12:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (sometimesinsweden @ 29.Oct.2012, 04:13 PM) *
ryanair cancelled quite a lot of sweden/uk flights about 3/4 years ago, i think when the newspapers revealed how much the swedish municipalities were paying bribes to the airl ... (show full quote)

All Ryanair flights in/out of Aberdeen have been removed, they have been arguing with BAA because it refuses to reduce the charge for using the airport to Ryanairs requested level. Same goes now for Edinburgh, where they are starting to remove flights.

Many of the other Ryanair flights from SWeden are on Summer only schedules.

You could try British Airways Göteborg->London Heathrow->Aberdeen , shouldn't cost much more than 2000:-
+
sometimesinsweden
post 30.Oct.2012, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Yes - didnt Ryanair threaten to move its Stockholm hub, which is one of its major ones, over costs.

Unless you can fly at weekday times during the day, Im not really noticing a huge difference between ryanair and BA/SAS/NorwegianAir prices the past few months, as fly to Sweden twice a month. Thinking something has to give at some point, but if the SAS bankruptcy rumours are true, they looking likely to fold first.
+
Willy
post 30.Oct.2012, 01:25 PM
Post #6

KLM through Amsterdam seems to cost in the range 2-3kSEK
+
Yorkshireman
post 30.Oct.2012, 02:24 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (sometimesinsweden @ 30.Oct.2012, 12:29 PM) *
Yes - didnt Ryanair threaten to move its Stockholm hub, which is one of its major ones, over costs.

There are 2 hubs laughably called Stockholm ... Västerås and Nyköping ...both 100 Km away from Stockholm. biggrin.gif

I read somewhere once a good one about their hubs and distance... went something like...

Ryanait are to open 2 new hubs, Dublin East, and London West ... both situated at British Midlands airport ... now passengers can pay 50 Euro to travel quickly and smoothly between Dublin and London ...you enter in the departures building and walk through to arrivals ... The Most cost effective and environmentally friendly route we have say Ryanair.

wink.gif
+
Hisingen
post 30.Oct.2012, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Ryaniar's O'Leary probably found that the Scots were living up their reputation of being 'careful' with their money, and couldn't get them to pay his extras, so he called it a day.
I would prefer a canny Scot any day to the likes of O'Leary.
So - lang may your lum reek. rolleyes.gif
+
blackswedishbloke
post 31.Oct.2012, 08:05 AM
Post #9

Thank you all for the replies.
Much appreciated.
+
littlemoomin
post 2.Nov.2012, 02:10 PM
Post #10

By the time you add in the fees and baggage easy jet and Ryanair aren't usually that much cheaper. BA fly from Gothenburg to LHR and you can connect there to ABZ might be a bit pricey if you're booking at short notice though.
+
dockmandock
post 3.Nov.2012, 08:22 PM
Post #11

You should use skyscanner.com if you want to plan flights.

You can even type in "Sweden" to Aberdeen or make the search narrower - it searches all the airlines and flight sales databases.

But off the top of my head, flying as suggested to Edinburgh then train or flying to London and then on to Aberdeen would probably be the best options.
+
omphus
post 4.Nov.2012, 11:05 AM
Post #12

The cheapest way to do it is fly from Nyköping to Edinburgh and take the megabus or scotrail up to Aberdeen. I'm between Aberdeen and Sweden quite a bit and this seems the best way for me.
+
Puffin
post 4.Nov.2012, 05:31 PM
Post #13

Some friends of mine got a low cost flight from Norway to Aberdeen last summer - but obviously it depends where you live whether this woul be useful - and whether these flights are still running
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se