• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Moving in June, how to get prescriptions?

Anyone with experience

TimCairns85
post 28.Jan.2013, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Moving to Sweden in June and was wondering if anyone had experience of getting prescriptions once moved. I'm a type 1 diabetic that is on insulin (humalog mix 25). My wife is Swedish and will help me understand the process however I'd like to know what to expect as she has never received a prescription while in Sweden. We will be moving to Dalarna if this makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Tack så mycket
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 29.Jan.2013, 01:43 AM
Post #2

Go to a doctor and show your old prescriptions and/or doctor's notes. The doctor will probably be happy with that and put a standing prescription (for 1 year maximum) for you in the national pharmacy register. After that you can get your prescription from any pharmacy that carries your medication (if a pharmacy does not have your meds in stock they are bound to order them within 24 hours).

Now, there are some hurdles you should be aware of: 1. In order to pay the normal subsidized prices for the doctor's visit and the meds you need a personnumer (social security number). This may take some time so bring some extra supplies to Sweden. 2. In order to pick up your prescription at the pharmacy you may need an ID with your personnummer (depending on who is behind the cash register). It may be possible that your passport is enough together with a letter from the tax authority (they handle your personnummer), but in worst case scenario you need a Swedish ID, which can be ordered first after you have your personnummer and will take a couple of weeks.

If you would run out of meds before you have settled the above matters you may of course just go to a hospital.

Btw, Humalog Mix 25 is available in Sweden: http://www.fass.se/LIF/home/soktraffar_all...mp;searchtext2=
+
TimCairns85
post 29.Jan.2013, 03:40 AM
Post #3

cheers for that very informative, one more question if I may, how much do repeat prescriptions cost if you know.

Thanks again
+
JulieLou40
post 29.Jan.2013, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Depends on the drug. They're all different, it's not like the UK where there is one prescription charge.

There is a high cost scheme for your medications in Sweden. You pay up to a max of I think 2200 every year, and then the rest of the year is free. There is also a discount along the way, depending on how much you have paid so far, so you don't always pay full price. I get various meds for my family and this is how it works.

NOTE: This is separate to the high cost scheme for visits to vårdcentral (the medical centre), which I think currently stands at 1100 kr per year (these things tend to go up every year).
+
gumbojinx
post 29.Jan.2013, 01:08 PM
Post #5

When I first arrived in Sweden, prior to having a state i.d. number, I actually got a relative to fill my repeat prescription in the UK and send it on to me via the postal service. This is perfectly legal (though it helps to include the prescription in the package).

Once you have your i.d. number you will find it all as easy in the UK, though you do pay a nominal fee for your consultation with the Dr (about 100sek) and then the prescription fee.

When I first visited my Swedish Doctor he was quite happy to accept that i needed medication for long term conditions and didn't even ask to see proof, though i did take copies of prescriptions etc with me.He immediately gave me a six month prescription, which was then upgraded to 12 months.

I hope my purely anecdotal information helps.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options