• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Black doll cut from Swedish Disney mash-up

The Local
post 14.Dec.2012, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Disney has deleted scenes from the old Santa's Workshop reel, Sveriges Television announced on Friday, cutting out the stereotypical black doll from Sweden's traditional Christmas Eve broadcast of the Disney mash-up.

SVT said that at least two scenes will be cut from this year's staple diet of Christmas television programming.

One scene features a black doll parading before Santa Claus before stamping herself on the behind with Santa's 'OK' quality stamp. The doll has dreadlocks and oversized red lips, corresponding broadly to stereotypes that many find offensive.

A second now-deleted scene shows a man in a green suit with an oversize nose, white beard, and black hat performing a Cossack dance. That has been cut as it could be perceived as playing on stereotypes of Jews.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 14.Dec.2012, 06:32 PM
Post #2

Another pathetic censur.
+
Ankinette
post 14.Dec.2012, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Almost a religion for many people?? But please...!!
+
jostein
post 14.Dec.2012, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Lots more to cut from that movie, snip snip!
Coming to think of it, most of western cultural heritage is racist or insufficiently feminist, why not cut it all? Make a bonfire of all the culture that was produced before our enlightened times! It would also be a kindness to the artists and authors active today, their "work" compares rather unfavourably to the quality of those that came before..
+
johan rebel
post 14.Dec.2012, 07:03 PM
Post #5

Oh boy, oh boy, another example of Swedish PC gone mad. The miserable and pathetic nutters who take these decisions have no sense of self-worth, nor of humor.
+
jostein
post 14.Dec.2012, 07:18 PM
Post #6

johan, actually, this seems to be american pc gone mad. SvT cut the same scenes and more a few years back but then put them back according to Fria Tider.
Its, like, if you gonna watch old stuff you have to tolerate that the values where different back then. I understand they want to remove the caricatured jew for example but once you start cutting you will have to justify anything you leave in. And thats a slippery slope.
+
intrepidfox
post 14.Dec.2012, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Lets cut the white people as well as it might seem racist
+
occassional
post 14.Dec.2012, 08:25 PM
Post #8

Lest remove black from the list of colours to end this charade and we'll all sleep better then.
+
JoryBraun
post 14.Dec.2012, 09:48 PM
Post #9

No different then last years censor ship of I Want my Mtv on the radio in Canada
the act of removing the doll is far more racist then its creation in the beginning. Whats next, Removing Lando Calrissian from Star Wars? Like it or not this animation was art, and to change some ones vision is a fascist act.
+
viking87
post 14.Dec.2012, 11:14 PM
Post #10

That right here might be the stupiest thing I've ever heard of, posted as a headline in a newspaper. OMG!
It's a f&*king cartoon.
+
Mbenzi
post 14.Dec.2012, 11:43 PM
Post #11

You have to understand the Americans. They don't like blacks.
You also have to understand SVT and Swedish so called "anti-racists".
They think: "Isn't it enough to BE colored - do you have to be reminded about it too?"
We Swedes are proud anti-racists. Next project is to ban "finska pinnar".
In a previous project, we disguised it with a smoke screen. In order to not abuse our Danish neighbors, we re-named "Copenhagener" or "Danish" into "Wienerbröd".
+
Svensksmith
post 15.Dec.2012, 01:28 PM
Post #12

Ahhh, Mbenzi, a lot of Americans ARE black. Maybe you'd better engage your brain before you start commenting.
+
sbf325
post 15.Dec.2012, 01:34 PM
Post #13

Hush now baby, baby don't you cry
Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you
Mama won't let anyone dirty get through
Mama's gonna wait up until you get in
Mama will always find out where you've been
Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and clean
Ooh, babe... you'll always be a baby to me
+
Emerentia
post 15.Dec.2012, 10:02 PM
Post #14

@ Mbenzi Wienerbröd is called Wienerbrød in Danish too.
+
rise
post 16.Dec.2012, 08:47 AM
Post #15

"Racism" this, "racism" that. Who even cares any longer? I am a racist - to hell with me. You are a racist - to hell with you.
Anti-racists hates their own color. Such a bunch of racists they are.
Are you a serial killer? No problems whatsoever - for as long as your killings didn't have "racist" motives!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options