• Sweden's news in English

app_header_v3
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Come on, can't I get a simple job anywhere?

Ugh, Sweden...

Katoosie
post 1.Feb.2016, 01:25 PM
Post #1

Dammit.

Going back and forth between Arbetsf
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 1.Feb.2016, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Have you given up a job, or did you come here simply on spec and hoping for the best??
+
CBDZ
post 1.Feb.2016, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Hello,

Please give us more details :

1) Your skills
2) Your origin
3) Your Work Permit status
+
Katoosie
post 1.Feb.2016, 07:58 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 1.Feb.2016, 07:19 PM) *
Have you given up a job, or did you come here simply on spec and hoping for the best??

Spec

QUOTE (CBDZ @ 1.Feb.2016, 07:26 PM) *
Hello,. Please give us more details :. 1) Your skills. 2) Your origin. 3) Your Work Permit status

1) None
2) UK
3) Awaiting status
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 1.Feb.2016, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Skills...None???

Have you never worked, anywhere???
+
Bsmith
post 1.Feb.2016, 08:18 PM
Post #6

I'm not sure if I got lucky or there is a genuine need for such services but I got a job working for a moving company when I was in Sweden. No need for great language skills and the pay wasn't too bad and I got to see a whole lot of Sweden, too. But you do need a strong back.

It really gets busy in the summer so that may be your best chance.

Good luck,
+
Katoosie
post 1.Feb.2016, 08:31 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 1.Feb.2016, 08:08 PM) *
Skills...None???. Have you never worked, anywhere???

I have volunteered in the UK for 8 months in a retail store + I have a few weeks of experience back from my studies in a PC repair shop. I have experience working behind the till, serving customers, general storekeeping tasks, steaming clothes, taking care of the stock... you name it.

That is about it.

@bsmith
Where could I enquire about such jobs with the moving companies?
+
Bsmith
post 1.Feb.2016, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Flyttfirma means moving co in Swedish. Google them in your area. Like I said, it was hard work but I liked it. Met some real interesting characters.
+
nussle
post 1.Feb.2016, 09:34 PM
Post #9

The Swedes generally will not give any job to any foreigner unless they themselves cannot/do not want to do it. Learning the language will not help you only luck.

Very high unemployment amongst non native Swedes, you are just joining them.

Good luck, you really will need it here.
+
oblivion
post 1.Feb.2016, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Move to the US, man. You'll have a job within a week.
+
Katoosie
post 4.Feb.2016, 11:44 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (oblivion @ 1.Feb.2016, 09:57 PM) *
Move to the US, man. You'll have a job within a week.

Yeah... well, Sweden is my country of choice since I have my partner here.
smile.gif

Does anyone have any other tips? Recently I have sent a buuuuunch o e-mails to various companies around my area and also applied for even more jobs online, obviously.

At least I'm getting some replies now, heh.
+
elliha
post 4.Feb.2016, 02:48 PM
Post #12

I don't know how long you have been looking but in general it can take time to get a job here even if you are a native Swede and if you don't speak Swedish at all it is likely going to be much harder. Going from place to place in person is your best bet, most e-mails are just going to be disgarded unless the work place is in absolute crisis and needs staff NOW.

The other route is connections. You might not know that many Swedes but ask everyone you know if they know someone who you could work for even if it is just some odd hours.

Am I wrong to assume that you are quite young? Perhaps arbetsf
+
Katoosie
post 4.Feb.2016, 05:21 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (elliha @ 4.Feb.2016, 02:48 PM) *
I don't know how long you have been looking but in general it can take time to get a job here even if you are a native Swede and if you don't speak Swedish at all it is likely going to be much harder. Going from place to place in person is your best bet, most e-mails are just going to be disgarded unless the work place is in absolute crisis and needs staff NOW.

The other route is connections. You might not know that many Swedes but ask everyone you know if they know someone who you could work for even if it is just some odd hours.

Am I wrong to assume that you are quite young? Perhaps arbetsf
+
oblivion
post 4.Feb.2016, 09:11 PM
Post #14

Here's a tip: Network. Find a fellow countryman who already has a job and can help you get your foot in the door.
+
elliha
post 5.Feb.2016, 11:23 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Katoosie @ 4.Feb.2016, 05:21 PM) *
Yeah I'm going to a work fair tomorrow, I'll hand out my CVs to some employers, hopefully something is going to work.
Also don't even get me started on Arbetsf
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se