• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Do Swedish men have tiny testicles

Ivor has been studying them

Ivor stephé
post 10.Sep.2013, 09:48 AM
Post #1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24016988

Testicle size 'link to father role'

Researchers at Emory University, US, said those with smaller testicles were more likely to be involved with nappy changing, feeding and bath time.

They also found differences in brain scans of fathers looking at images of their child, linked to testicle size.

But other factors, such as cultural expectations, also played a role.

Levels of promiscuity and testicle size are strongly linked in animals, those with the largest pair tending to mate with more partners.

The researchers were investigating an evolutionary theory about trade-offs between investing time and effort in mating or putting that energy into raising children. The idea being that larger testicles would suggest greater commitment to creating more children over raising them.

The study, in Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, looked at the relationship between testicle size and fatherhood in 70 men who had children between the ages of one and two.

The team at Emory University in Atlanta performed brain scans while the men were shown pictures of their children.

It showed those with smaller testicles tended to have a greater response in the reward area of the brain than those with a larger size.

MRI scans showed a three-fold difference between the volumes of the smallest and largest testicles in the group.

Those at the smaller end of the spectrum were also more likely, according to interviews with the man and the mother, to be more active in parenting duties.

One of the researchers, Dr James Rilling, told the BBC: "It tells us some men are more naturally inclined to care-giving than others, but I don't think that excuses other men. It just might require more effort for some than others."

The exact nature of any link is not clear.

The researchers believe the size of the testicles, probably through the hormone testosterone, is affecting behaviour. But it is not clear if the process of having a baby may have some effect on the father.

"We know, for instance, that testosterone levels go down when men become involved fathers," said Dr Rilling.

Further studies, involving analysing the size before and after becoming a father, are still needed.

Cultural and societal expectations on the role of the father are also not accounted for in the study.

All of the men were from the Atlanta area so the relative impact of society and biology has not been measured.
Go to the top of the page
+
gplusa
post 10.Sep.2013, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Ah, the Byke continues to ride.
+
Hisingen
post 10.Sep.2013, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Somehow I doubt that even Byke would be this stupid.
+
intrepidfox
post 10.Sep.2013, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Byke would have just posted the link,

Ivor must have a complex
+
Svensksmith
post 10.Sep.2013, 11:28 AM
Post #5

If this study is true, then my wife must have small testicles.
+
skogsbo
post 10.Sep.2013, 11:36 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 10.Sep.2013, 09:48 AM) *
Cultural and societal expectations on the role of the father are also not accounted for in the study.All of the men were from the Atlanta area so the relative impact of societ ... (show full quote)

Not being from the USA, is there something about Atlanta we need to know? Or is this study a complete waste of time, if they ignored all the external societal factors? Finally what does it tell us about Ivor? Was he googling about some potential enlargement operation and stumbled upon this news item? wink.gif
+
Hisingen
post 10.Sep.2013, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Since stuffé stephé has at one time referred to 'us swedes' then I take it that he must also consider himself to be a Swede. In which case perhaps he should be taking a look at his own block and tackle to ascertain as to whether he has something - or nothing - to boast about.

No matter which way, the poster must have an inferiority complex by raising such an idiotic subject. rolleyes.gif
+
cogito
post 10.Sep.2013, 01:51 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 10.Sep.2013, 08:57 AM) *
Somehow I doubt that even Byke would be this stupid.

Isn't it time for you ppl. to get over your Byke Derangement Syndrome?

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 10.Sep.2013, 10:36 AM) *
if they ignored all the external societal factors?

Societal factors??? Such as, e.g. Swedish women?

to the OP:
Didn't you foresee how offensive this BBC report would be to the lattepappas and hemmamän who frequent this board?
+
Hisingen
post 10.Sep.2013, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Yet another slipped cog. rolleyes.gif
+
skogsbo
post 10.Sep.2013, 02:14 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (cogito @ 10.Sep.2013, 01:51 PM) *
Societal factors??? Such as, e.g. Swedish women?

you so must have been dumped by a Swede, so much bitterness towards Sweden, Swedish woman and anybody who is generally happy here. It's not good for your heart you know, you need to move on, smile a little... smile.gif
+
Ivor stephé
post 10.Sep.2013, 04:12 PM
Post #11

Dont pick on him, its me you are after.
I posted the link as I thought it was funny.
Given the nordic ideology of parenting and cold weather.

Come on, have a go at me instead
Acuse me of being someone else as always.

I bet by just your obsessive nature, you were emotionally abused and now live as a stay at home wife since your breakdown.
"someone must really love me" unsure.gif
+
skogsbo
post 10.Sep.2013, 04:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 10.Sep.2013, 04:12 PM) *
"someone must really love me" unsure.gif

fret not, everyone's mother loves them, regardless.
+
Model T Ford
post 10.Sep.2013, 06:01 PM
Post #13

I don't have any idea about the relation of male child-caring in Swedien with the size of Swedish men's testicles.

Though I haven't measured any, not even my own, so I don't have a real clue about the whole subject.

Must say that it still seems a rather simple-minded one to me, where the practice of contraception is not included, the actual desire to have children and really care for them hasn't been taken seriously, does this alleged relationship hold with men of other nationalities, why restrict study to only testicles rather than including penises too, etc.

Seems just another claim that Swedish men lack balls. laugh.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 11.Sep.2013, 07:05 AM
Post #14

Hitler had only one ball
Goebbels had two but very small
But poor old Ivor Stephen had no balls at all
+
AgeOfReason
post 11.Sep.2013, 07:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 11.Sep.2013, 08:05 AM) *
But poor old Ivor Stephen had no balls at all

...however, he should make a good involved father biggrin.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se