• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Job in Sweden for Foreigners

Is it easy to find it?

mikeleoriginal
post 13.Jan.2013, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Hey everybody
I am a young Italian gaduated in advertising. I worked in UK and now I would like to move in Sweden. The crisis in Italy is tragic. There is not job for young people and there is not possibility to work there.
I would like to find a job an advertising agency in Sweden but noboby want a new employer at his company.
I tried to find a job like waiter or cook but it needs experience.

I ask to you, how a young foreigner could find a job in this way if nobody permit it?

If you anybody knows any job, write here or if anybody had similar experience, please write it...
Go to the top of the page
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 12:57 PM
Post #2

Hello. It's very difficult to find a job here in Sweden without Swedish language or person number. I had that problem to ( but I only need job for holidays and I've got person number here). The only job you can get is in cleaning company as a cleaner. It's very hard to start a new life in Sweden without family here or connections. It's sad but true. although if you find a job ( somehow) you have a chance for good life. I fall in love in sweden , and when I finish my school here in Polnad I wanna to move there but I'm very afraid of not find a job or something like that.
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:14 PM
Post #3

You don't legally need a personnummer to get a job in Sweden, as that goes against pretty much every EU directive. But many Swedish employers shit themselves at the thought of employing somebody who does not yet have a personnummer. Even though it is a formaility to be granted one once you get a job.

It works like this:
- You need a job to get a personnummer
- Nobody will give a job to somebody without a personnummer
+
Migga
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:18 PM
Post #4

The best way to get a job in Sweden is through contacts. If you don`t have a social network in Sweden they it will be hard. You can build social ties with people by visiting or study. That`s my advice.
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Another tip is to legally change your name to something more Swedish sounding.
+
raimonda
post 13.Jan.2013, 05:26 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (MarryAnn @ 13.Jan.2013, 11:57 AM) *
I fall in love in sweden , and when I finish my school here in Polnad I wanna to move there but I'm very afraid of not find a job or something like that.

- It looks like we are both in quite similar situation. It would be nice to chat sometime with you smile.gif
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Raimonda- with pleasure . this is my e-mail adress : aloszka@onet.com.pl if You want to ask me something , just do it. Have you been in Sweden once?
+
raimonda
post 13.Jan.2013, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the email wink.gif will get in touch soon;

Yes I have and many times and will move to Sweden permanently in Summer because I hate living apart from my bf sad.gif I just need to finish my education and pass my driving test smile.gif
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 06:16 PM
Post #9

so your boyfriend live in sweden? how old are U ?
+
raimonda
post 13.Jan.2013, 07:31 PM
Post #10

I have just emailed you wink.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 13.Jan.2013, 09:30 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 01:14 PM) *
You don't legally need a personnummer to get a job in Sweden, as that goes against pretty much every EU directive.

No it would not.
There is nothing that prevents Sweden from actually having a requirement that to work in Sweden You must have a personnummer. It just means if they did, they would have to issue them more readily, and probably change the process with regards population registering.

QUOTE (oddsock @ 13.Jan.2013, 01:14 PM) *
But many Swedish employers shit themselves at the thought of employing somebody who does not yet have a personnummer.

16500 work permits for non-EU workers issued during 2012 says that this is not so.

Youth unemployment is high in Sweden 25+%, even higher for immigrants (whether EU or not) ...Sweden is not a Utopia of employment. And general unemployment amongst migrants is also very high. Many of those already have personnummer, so why as an employer would I bother to take someone that has just arrived in Sweden, never worked here ...when I have such a large pool to choose from ? (think about it, you are competing against many others for positions)

Other companies have company policies that just say they cannot employ people without personnummer. Simple as that.

To say they are sh*t scared is just rubbish, since there is no law that says one has to have a personnummer, there is nothing to be scared of??? Unfortunately it is a convenient excuse to job seekers from within the EU to just say, sorry you need the personnummer, rather than anything else.

Added into the competion for jobs is the fast growing number of EU migrants that are homeless in Sweden, and if You are intending to Study and looking for part-time jobs whilst studying, remember ...again... you start a few steps behind those that already live in Sweden, and speak Swedish, as local students are also looking for those jobs whilst studying.

Think twice before moving anywhere when You have no means to support Yourself!
+
oddsock
post 13.Jan.2013, 11:33 PM
Post #12

Other companies have company policies that just say they cannot employ people without personnummer. Simple as that.

And to get a personnummer in Sweden as a foreigner you need to have employment or other means to support yourself.

It's catch-22. No personnummer without a job. No job without a personnummer.
+
Commie
post 14.Jan.2013, 06:02 PM
Post #13

Yes yes come to Sweden, it is so awesome here, Swedish employers love hiring foreigners who don't speak Swedish, being young and inexperienced is a plus. You will also get a flat to rent very easily in Stockholm, you will make tons of Swedish friends and Swedish blonde women are really horny for hot Italian men! It's a paradise!
+
mikeleoriginal
post 18.Jan.2013, 08:18 PM
Post #14

When you work more than three months you need a personal number?
+
Kegzmc
post 19.Jan.2013, 10:29 PM
Post #15

Bullshit. You can get a job without a personnummer
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se