• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Homeless shelters? funding?

Where can I find them?

Jagger
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:34 AM
Post #1

Im a eu citizen. So after 2 years of learning swedish and looking for a job here in sweden, Ive run out of money and will be kicked out from my flat next week. I have no money to go home and my friends cant help me out. So im wondering first if there are any homeless shelters and second how do i finance my trip home? Maybe swedish government can pay for my trip? And is it true that sleeping in the cold can be very cozy since you sleep and you sleep forever?
Go to the top of the page
+
Coolrunnings
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Maybe you can go to kista or rinkeby? I've read somewhere that there are lots of EU migrants sleeping in broken down cars at a parking lot over there. Or go to some swedish church? And yes, the cold can set you free....
+
Jagger
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:44 AM
Post #3

oh thank you. maybe it would help if i knew where to exactly go in kista? I don't want to die of painful starvation, maybe freezing to death is less painful. after 2 years in sweden ive given up on everything.
+
Yorkshireman
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:50 AM
Post #4

If You are in Stockholm:

Enheten för hemlösa
Jourtelefon, tidsbokning och information: 08-508 25 301
Besöksadress: Östgötagatan 10
Telefax 08-508 25 338

They are funding special shelters in Stockholm this year/winter because of the large number of EU homeless that are here in the city, if I remember correctly!

To get funding to get home, you should be able to get help from the Embassy of your home country. If there is no Embassy for Your home country, as an EU citizen, You can go to any other Embassy of an EU Member State and they are supposed to help.
+
Jagger
post 11.Dec.2012, 08:56 AM
Post #5

oh thank you. i will go there. i already have low blood pressure and feel dizzy because i have not eaten any dinner for so many days now.
+
Coolrunnings
post 11.Dec.2012, 09:13 AM
Post #6

Reading your sad story has made me feel better about myself and how lucky I am. Today is going to be a good day for me, thanks for sharing dude.
+
Coolrunnings
post 11.Dec.2012, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Oh and I do feel sorry for you, which makes me feel even better.
+
Mark249
post 11.Dec.2012, 09:42 AM
Post #8

Typical Swedish mentality.
+
skogsbo
post 11.Dec.2012, 10:28 AM
Post #9

to fix your problem, you need to return home, speak to Embassy, relatives, beg - then Ryan Air?

Sleeping rough in winter wont help, you need food, water , shelter, the very basics of life itself. Ideally a job, but you sound like you wont be finding that here.
+
jostein
post 11.Dec.2012, 10:53 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Jagger @ 11.Dec.2012, 07:56 AM) *
oh thank you. i will go there. i already have low blood pressure and feel dizzy because i have not eaten any dinner for so many days now.

Been there, done that. But never been in as bad a situation as you without residence in a foreign city in winter. Respect. Once you get out of this it will be a usefull experience and you will be stronger for it. Whatever happens during the rest of your life, it will rarely be as bad as this. And remember, no matter what, everyone have an absolute right to fight for survival. Everything is second to survival. Dying of pride is not acceptable and surviving is a pride in itself, no matter how you do it.
Anyway, seems you have gotten info already.
If that fails, i would seek out the swedish church? Then you will get face-to-face help that is more human than bleeding beurocrats.
Or maybe if you are from a different church maybe seek out that? Most churches are represented in sweden, stockholm at least (didnt catch which city you are in).

Best of luck I wish you.
+
Seamus Sean
post 11.Dec.2012, 11:34 AM
Post #11

I can´t help but be impressed in just how trusting everyone here is, all the posters taking time to write good advice and wishing the poster good luck etc.

Myself I can see someone taking the urine here, ok they are making a valid point of how E.U imigrants are treated in Sweden, and I can relate to that 100% and can share some horror stories myself but if I was starving to the extent that I was suffering dizzy spells I wouldn`t be sitting at my laptop, which would have been sold to buy food or a ticket home, and signing up to an internet forum, the poster only joined today, to tell us all of their plight.

But that is just me...I don`t believe all I read on the internet!
+
skogsbo
post 11.Dec.2012, 02:52 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 11.Dec.2012, 11:34 AM) *
But that is just me...I don`t believe all I read on the internet!

given our materialistic world, I think many would sell a kidney, before giving up their internet connection or mobile!

OP - Dumpster diving?
+
johnjohn
post 11.Dec.2012, 02:58 PM
Post #13

You only need one mobile as well as only one kidney. wink.gif
+
vicky7
post 11.Dec.2012, 03:28 PM
Post #14

Op, this reminds me of a german movie called stalingrad. Awesome war movie where the german army fights it out in the streets without food or shelter for 3 months. Your situation is not unique since there are thousands of foolish eu migrants coming here thinking the streets are paved with gold.

Anyway, you can't go home now because then you would be a loser. You're not a loser are you? So rough it out, maybe you can start begging and ask for leftover food at mcdonalds. I think they throw the food after 5min of cooking.
+
jostein
post 11.Dec.2012, 03:29 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 11.Dec.2012, 10:34 AM) *
I can´t help but be impressed in just how trusting everyone here is, all the posters taking time to write good advice and wishing the poster good luck etc. Myself I can see s ... (show full quote)

Well, ive been in much the same situation myself. Many years ago I did not know how to make money and it resulted in me losing 12 kg from my already slim build over the course of six months or so. Sure, a gung-ho gogetter would have fixed the situation right quick. But such people wouldnt end up in that fix to begin with. My troubles weighed heavier and heavier on me until i became totally unable to deal with them at all.
So sure, the poster might be a troll. But to me his words have the ring of truth. Could just as well have been me.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com