• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish citizenship decision waiting time

How long it takes for migrationsverket

leadguitar
post 6.Aug.2012, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Hi!

I was wondering if some of you folks have experience with applying for Citizenship and the time it takes for migrationsverket to inform you about the decision. In their site they mention "within a year". That's heck of a lot of time!. But on the net you see people getting their decision withing weeks. So I'd like to know if anyone has a recent experience.
my case is naturalization by staying here for 5 years. Not marriage or asylum, if that makes a difference in processing times.

many thanks folks!
Go to the top of the page
+
gplusa
post 6.Aug.2012, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Mine took 4 weeks from the date of applying to the date of receiving my citizenship in the post. Married to a Swede since about forever, and had lived in Sweden for 3 years.
+
leadguitar
post 6.Aug.2012, 12:37 PM
Post #3

That's pretty fast. I wish mine also doesn't take more than a months or two. Do they have separate queues for processing applications by type? (eg. marriage, asylum seekers, work permit. etc)
+
gplusa
post 6.Aug.2012, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Possibly. Not that they would tell you that, mind. Some countries and some case histories do seem to be processed quicker than others.
+
leadguitar
post 6.Aug.2012, 12:51 PM
Post #5

yes I guess so. I bet you're probably European or American. Me from middle east, so it might take considerably longer
+
Case officer
post 6.Aug.2012, 08:59 PM
Post #6

People from western countries with passports may get a decision in a few weeks. For the rest of the world you're lucky to have an answer in 7-8 months. Somalia or Afghanistan, don't call us, we'll call you!
+
leadguitar
post 7.Aug.2012, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Your name makes me believe you. Wondering, are you really a Case officer, Mr "Case Officer"? wink.gif
+
rtharper
post 7.Aug.2012, 10:46 AM
Post #8

Would be nice if s/he were! =)
+
adiman83
post 7.Aug.2012, 11:15 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Case officer @ 6.Aug.2012, 07:59 PM) *
People from western countries with passports may get a decision in a few weeks. For the rest of the world you're lucky to have an answer in 7-8 months. Somalia or Afghanis ... (show full quote)

What about people from eastern Europe but still EU? With biometric passport of course. How long will the waiting time be in that case? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into when the time comes to apply.
+
Case officer
post 7.Aug.2012, 09:03 PM
Post #10

If you are from a country to the east of Germany / Austria, don't hold your breath for a quick decision.
+
Children Of Adam
post 7.Aug.2012, 11:27 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Case officer @ 6.Aug.2012, 08:59 PM) *
People from western countries with passports may get a decision in a few weeks. For the rest of the world you're lucky to have an answer in 7-8 months. Somalia or Afghanis ... (show full quote)

My afghan friend got his citizenship in 12 days, and another got in 18 days after applying it. Actually they are both working and paying tax this could be reason? Anyway, I will not judge a nation based on a few cases.
+
Craptastical
post 8.Aug.2012, 07:19 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (gplusa @ 6.Aug.2012, 11:51 AM) *
Mine took 4 weeks from the date of applying to the date of receiving my citizenship in the post. Married to a Swede since about forever, and had lived in Sweden for 3 years.

When was this?

QUOTE (Children Of Adam @ 7.Aug.2012, 11:27 PM) *
My afghan friend got his citizenship in 12 days, and another got in 18 days after applying it. Actually they are both working and paying tax this could be reason? Anyway, I wi ... (show full quote)

When was this?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about applying as well, but am concerned about needing my US passport for business travel while my application is processed.
+
gplusa
post 8.Aug.2012, 07:46 AM
Post #13

Craptastic: a little over a year ago now.

You can ask to have your passport returned to you immediately after you submit your citizenship application. You phone them up, tell them that you need to travel, and could they please send your passport back to you. You don't have to give any specific travel details, and you'll get your passport back within a couple of days. They just need to view it initially to ensure that you have included all the correct documentation with your application. In theory you're supposed to send it back to them when you have returned from your travels, but in reality you can hold onto your passport until they contact you again to say that they are now ready to process your application and require your passport. I got that information directly from the Migrationsverket citizenship processing office.
+
Prebour
post 11.Oct.2012, 04:05 PM
Post #14

Hi leadguitar

I have been applied Swedish Citizenship also since 4 Sep 2012, then I have still wait for it.
Did you get Swedish Citizenship yet? I would like to know for prediction my case.

Regards
Ra
+
Michele
post 11.Oct.2012, 07:13 PM
Post #15

Mine took about 6 months. I applied in March, got it in August. I got it through being married to a Swede. But instead of applying after the 3 years, I waited over 7, so well past my required wait time. (American, if that makes a difference)
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com