• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Speed limit help (licence test)

Need help with speed limit understanding

animesh
post 10.Nov.2012, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Hi,
Can anyone help me confirming the speed limits of some roads.
I have my driving test soon.
First this one:
Street in front of the trafikverket office.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Agneslundsv%...u4QMwdxOfchKPRg

aand on
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=20+%C3%96str...679RyQQNLgfc4Tw

I understand that if it is not marked 30 , or if it is not near schools or hospitals it should be 50.

Also,
on this there is a stop signal board and a stop line, but then 15 mts ahead there is the signal and the stop line.
Is it ok to stop on the signal line or should i stop at the board(stop signal).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4+%C3%96stra...PnKLCX4JkeUvFhw
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:12 PM
Post #2

The general speed limit is 30 near schools and in residential areas, 50 in towns/cities and 70 on the countryside. In general all speed limits are clearly posted, however in some zones there is only a mark at the boundary of the zone.

In the last picture you should stop at the mark if the lights are red ahead of you. They probably put the mark there so that people wouldn't block the parking lot. The only ones that stop right at the lights are the ones coming out from the parking lot or the ones that are passed the mark when it's switches to yellow.
+
Hisingen
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #3

You are taking your test soon, and still do not understand the speed limits???
Then you are not yet prepared for that test.
You are hardly prepared even to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.
That may sound harsh, but it is a simple reality, and you need to do quite a lot of work yet before you take the test - or you could well fail - at considerable expense I might add.
+
gplusa
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:26 PM
Post #4

When in doubt, ask. You get points for trying to reduce the risk, you don't get points for guessing. I had the exact same problem, starting a test in an area I was unfamiliar with and with no visible signage. I asked the instructor, as he knew the area immediately outside of the venue. He was happy to tell me that it was a 40km zone, and noted that I had asked. He also noted that I told him to put his seatbelt on, although I think he was a bit pissed about it. If possible, take a short walk around the testing venue beforehand. You usually find a speed sign not too far away.

The Stopp sign is simply a warning sign that traffic lights are ahead and to prepare. It is most likely located within a residential area where you wouldn't normally expect traffic lights. You stop at the lights as appropriate. If the lights aren't working then you abide by the Give Way sign mounted beside the lights.
+
axiom
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:27 PM
Post #5

It is fair to assume both are 50, built up areas no other speed limits, plus if you go about 200m in one of the directions you notice there is a 30kmh sign meaning that the area you are driving from is more than 30, but not 70 since that is only outside of built areas.

Remember that speed limits are valid until the moment you have passed the next speed limit sign, so just drive around a little and see which was the last sign before you entered this road. And if you discover that the last sign says more than 50 double check.

The line at the stop sign is where you should stop when the lights are red, not at the lights, if you stop are this during the test you will quite likely fail.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:32 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (gplusa @ 10.Nov.2012, 05:26 PM) *
The Stopp sign is simply a warning sign that traffic lights are ahead and to prepare. Most likely it is a residential area where you wouldn't normally expect traffic light ... (show full quote)

Actually, it's not: It's a prohibition sign, not a warning sign. Warning signs are triangular.

You stop at the mark, not the light: http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/Vag/Va...ngivet-andamal/
+
axiom
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (gplusa @ 10.Nov.2012, 03:26 PM) *
The Stopp sign is simply a warning sign that traffic lights are ahead and to prepare. Most likely it is a residential area where you wouldn't normally expect traffic light ... (show full quote)

It definately does not mean this, it is not a warning or a notice, it is a "Förbudsmärken" and you must not stop at the lights, you must stop at the sign, ie the line just at the sign, failing to do this will cause you to fail the test.
+
gplusa
post 10.Nov.2012, 04:36 PM
Post #8

Point taken, bad choice of words on my part, but it's still referring to the traffic lights shead.
+
nickachu
post 10.Nov.2012, 05:02 PM
Post #9

limit is generally about 10kmph slower than what everyone else around you is driving
+
spyder
post 10.Nov.2012, 05:40 PM
Post #10

I think (but am not 100% sure ... you really need to check) the speed limit there is 50. However, don't forget that on the city side of Nobelvägen, just one block away from where you start the test, the speed limit is 40. Here's an article from 2010 about all of Malmö center having a 40 km/hr speed limit: http://www.sydsvenskan.se/malmo/dags-att-sanka-farten/
+
Puffin
post 10.Nov.2012, 05:44 PM
Post #11

What is next to the "Stopp signal"? Sometimes these are placed by fire and ambulance stations and you must stop at the white line if the lights are flashing that emergency vehicles are exiting
+
Hisingen
post 10.Nov.2012, 06:40 PM
Post #12

Study the road. Just ahead there is an entrance to a side road - leading perhaps to a parking or local area. The stop line is where you stop when the light is red. That allows traffic to make its way across your path ahead of you, Especially as there is a crossing for cyclists and pedestrians - to whom the lights also refer. The access to the crossing ahead is not light controlled but as you can see there is a warning - give way sign, and no stop line on the road. The signs are there for the reading, and the lines on the road go together with them.
Don't think I am preaching, but you have to be able to absorb all this at the same time as you are driving, and the other traffic is around you. There is a lot involved, and much of it only comes with practice, but you do have to know all the basics before trying to put them all together whilst at the wheel. Having been a bobby, driven since 1949, car, mc, HGV, to be honest I doubt I would pass the test on the questions, since so much of my knowledge is now in my head from so many years of practice. You become aware of the fact that you 'read the road' automatically as time passes, but that doesn't help when the test is imminent. There you must know the theory, and as time goes on you apply that theory to the practice, and as time goes by and you have some distance under your belt, you will find that you don't obviously think, yet it comes automatically. Like everything else, practice makes perfect - well pretty close to perfect.

Good luck, and drive safely - and wisely.
+
animesh
post 12.Nov.2012, 10:50 AM
Post #13

Thanks everyone.
Good news.
Passed my test.
3rd attempt smile.gif
Feeling top of the world.
Have been driving for last 5 years across all europe still it took couple of failuers before i learnt everything.
@Hisingen, because of you , i practices like hell during the weekend ,.
Thanks.
+
Hisingen
post 12.Nov.2012, 03:33 PM
Post #14

Congratulations!! The old saying - Practice makes perfect clearly paid off. Drive safely now, and may you enjoy many. many happy miles. Glad to have been of help. smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com