• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Is it mandatory for bikes to have lights?

When should they be turned on?

qqewew
post 2.Feb.2013, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Hi, I have a few quick questions about bicykle lights:

1. Is it mandatory for every bike to have lights? If yes, what kind of lights exactly? Should I have two, one in front and one back and can it be just a little red light or in front it have to be for example white? Should also they be blinking?

2. When the lights should be turned on? Is there a strict time period or is just when it get's dark?

3. I've heard that you can get a ticket (have to pay fine) for riding a bike without a lights? Is that true?

I can't seems to find this information anywhere. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 2.Feb.2013, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Wasnt that hard but here you go for a start http://www.cykelfakta.nu/Belysning/Vad_sager_lagen.htm
+
Emerentia
post 2.Feb.2013, 05:41 PM
Post #3

Yes, its mandatory and you could get a fine. I think it's 500 kr if you dont have a white light in the front, 500 kr if you don't have a red light in the back of the bike and 500 kr if you dont have any reflexes on the bike. You could also get a fine if you dont have a bell on the bike. If you are under 15 you have to wear a helmet.

I don't think there is a strict time, because the time when it gets dark in Sweden varies a lot, so I think for example its no problem to ride a bike without lights on like at 8 pm in July, but it's not ok to do so like 5pm in November. When it's dark you should have lights on the bike.

The light in the front should be white or yellow and the one in the back should be red and one should be able to see those from 300 meters away. No need to use blinking lights, but if you do, the must make at least 200 blinks/minut.

You also nead reflexes, in the front, in the back and on the sides.

http://www20.vv.se/vvfs/pdf/2008nr163.pdf (in Swedish)

If you go to a store where they sell bikes they will explain and help you with all this.
+
qqewew
post 2.Feb.2013, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Thank you very much!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se