• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Homeless people get cigarettes for Christmas

The Local
post 15.Dec.2012, 11:42 AM
Post #1

A charity in Norrköping, eastern Sweden, is donating cigarettes to the homeless and other vulnerable people this Christmas.

The charity, called Omsorgsjul - Hemlösa (Care Christmas - the Homeless) has organized traditional Christmas smorgasbords in Norrköping for the past 17 years.

At this year's Christmas party, the charity handed out gifts like hats, warm clothes and boxes of chocolate to the homeless and other vulnerable people who attended the festivities. The guests also received a pack of cigarettes each.

"There would be an outcry if they didn't receive their cigarettes," Lennart Cederberg, head of the charity, told the local Folkbladet newspaper.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
swinglish
post 15.Dec.2012, 12:03 PM
Post #2

"Come and help them and make sure they receive accommodation instead of whining," Cederberg urged.
Well said.
+
Rishonim
post 15.Dec.2012, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Kudos to Lennart Cederberg. There is nothing wrong with handing out a pack of smoke to the homeless. They're already down and under and sometimes the only comfort and dignity they find is blowing out some smoke.
+
engagebrain
post 15.Dec.2012, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Why not just give some money and let them spend it any way they want.
Rishonim - there is little dignity in dying of lung cancer.
+
Rishonim
post 15.Dec.2012, 05:37 PM
Post #5

engagebrain, there is no dignity in death. all deaths are immoral. There is a fantastic book written by a professor of mine; it is called Dance with Chance. I recommend it.
+
Svensksmith
post 15.Dec.2012, 08:17 PM
Post #6

Huh? All death is immoral???
Death is natural. Everything dies. How is it immoral?
+
Emerentia
post 15.Dec.2012, 09:29 PM
Post #7

I hope the people who donate money to this charity know that they spend it on cigarettes instead of food and clothes. I would give a single krona to such a charity. The 7500 kr they spent on cigarettes, they could have given a lot of clothes and food, and roof over the heads. to people who really need it.
If a person start smoking when they are like 15, and smoke a pack of cigarettes a a day for 50 years, that will cost them about 900 000 kr. If they had saved those money instead of buying cigarettes (and alcohol), they could easily have bought a place to live and didn't have to be homeless.
+
Flygger
post 16.Dec.2012, 06:54 AM
Post #8

Can't believe how sanctimonious some posters here are.
I also wonder how many homeless people there are who have never smoked or touched alcohol in their lives.
I wonder if perhaps Emerentia was smoking something or drinking something when they put down their ridiculous comment.. like..
+
BroX
post 17.Dec.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #9

@Emerentia: the charity is spend on cigarettes AND food and clothes.
Typical Swedish rational: "The most important thing is that we don't hand out alcohol..."
+
frankstrudel
post 17.Dec.2012, 03:10 PM
Post #10

"Some of these people have to go into communal garbage rooms to smoke. The cigarettes help them stay awake and keep them from freezing to death."
Garbage, drowsiness and cigarettes sound like a terrible combination.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se