• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Getting Paid for work

Employer refuses to pay me

gilljohniez
post 26.Feb.2013, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Hi All,

I did some work for a local pub here in Sweden recently. It was around three weeks work and a total of 120 hours, I have since left the job in search of something better and they are not returning calls or messages.

I have provided everything needed to get paid and am not sure what to do next.

Half of the work done was in Jan and therefore I was expecting to get paid yesterday on the 25th Feb. Is this correct? I am new to Sweden and any tips on how payday works or who I should contact regarding the unpaid wages would be great.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 26.Feb.2013, 12:06 PM
Post #2

You need to physically call into the pub and find out what is going on. Either they are looking to swindle you or their administration is bad and they simply have not registered you yet.

Kind of seems strange that you would leave a paying job in search of another? Why not stay employed until you find the better job? If you were fired or had a falling out with the pub owner then you may be in for a battle.

If all else fails then talk with Skatteverket and let them know that the pub is seeking to employ people on the black.
+
gilljohniez
post 26.Feb.2013, 12:12 PM
Post #3

I left because the standards were very low and I want to further my career as a chef. I am not going to name the place but when I arrived I found cooked food on the same board as raw chicken being sent out to customers. There is no point staying somewhere that will hurt your career.

I am also starting SFI soon so the hours wouldn't work anyway.

They are impossible to get a hold of so I will try going down there, if I don't get a resolution then I will try Skateverket.

If it turns out their admin is bad and haven't registered me is there any way of being paid before the 25th March?
+
John.Smith
post 26.Feb.2013, 12:18 PM
Post #4

It is entirely up to the pub to pay you so there is no guarantee that they will do so before the 25th of March.
It kinda sounds like they are pulling the piss out of it to be honest. It is a very simple process to register and pay you and can be done online or even over the phone.
+
gilljohniez
post 26.Feb.2013, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the replys
+
Hisingen
post 26.Feb.2013, 01:58 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 26.Feb.2013, 12:06 PM) *
You need to physically call into the pub and find out what is going on...If all else fails then talk with Skatteverket and let them know that the pub is seeking to employ people on the black.

Might I suggest that you pay them a visit - as John.Smith suggests, and depending upon what they say - then either tell them you plan to go to Skatteverket - which might have the desired efect without actually doing so, or follow up the visit to the pub with the suggested visit to Skatteverket.
The veiled threat, of what you plan, might do the trick without the need for actually stirring things up, as that could even backfire via others who might not want to employ a whistleblower.
Just a thought. 'Softly softly catchee monkey'.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se