• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Animal Euthanasia in Sweden?

Are there kill shelters anywhere?

mjennin2
post 22.Jun.2015, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Was doing some googling (albeit in English) and couldn't turn up anything on whether Sweden practices euthanasia on shelter animals. Doesn't seem like Sweden's style to do kill shelters, but can anyone confirm?

We're going to be adopting some furry friends later this year and I'd like to rescue them from the doom vault, if there is one.

Meow!
m
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Jun.2015, 12:39 AM
Post #2

Can't answer your question...but I do applaud your idea...It's a win win situation with a happy ending...Good luck with your new friends...
+
mjennin2
post 23.Jun.2015, 12:50 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 23.Jun.2015, 12:39 AM) *
Can't answer your question...but I do applaud your idea...It's a win win situation with a happy ending...Good luck with your new friends...

Thank you! We'll see if anyone bites and offers any info. I searched TL and there were only sparse threads on human euthanasia (and surprisingly none on troll euthanasia. Yet, at least.) smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Jun.2015, 12:54 AM
Post #4

Troll euthanasia!!!

Wow, I'll bet that would make a great thread, especially if it included naming which one!!! laugh.gif
+
mjennin2
post 23.Jun.2015, 01:16 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 22.Jun.2015, 11:54 PM) *
Troll euthanasia!!!. Wow, I'll bet that would make a great thread, especially if it included naming which one!!! laugh.gif

But where would one start?? The TL blacklist is too long...

On a random note... do you ever know what happened to Nemesis? I thought about her randomly, recently. I know I took a 4 year hiatus from The Local, but it appears so many have vanished :/
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Jun.2015, 01:38 AM
Post #6

I think everybody has left TheLocal, most don't come back...I was away for over a year, but the allure and curiousness of this place has me hooked...So here we are, minus a few former characters in an ongoing comedic (?) I hope forum...

So!!! Who will dispatch the Trolls and by what method???
+
Mzungu
post 23.Jun.2015, 08:05 AM
Post #7

mjennin2 inquire at your local vet,they will likely know who to contact...

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 23.Jun.2015, 02:38 AM) *
So!!! Who will dispatch the Trolls and by what method???

*GH, permanent solution 'nuke' them*
+
ChocOwl
post 23.Jun.2015, 08:22 AM
Post #8

OP, have a look for old threads about adopting a cat or dog (there are a few such threads). Should be some useful links there.
+
Hisingen
post 23.Jun.2015, 10:14 AM
Post #9

To be honest, I am not aware of any animal sanctuaries other than Nordens Ark, which deals with those at risk of extinction. But as to 'never put a good dog down' as we see on Sky as a feature of certain UK animal sanctuaries - I have never heard of it.
OK - vets will put your pet to sleep - as my vet did for my poor old dog, but that was due to cancer causing him considerable pain and anguish, and it was making us all feel truly sad for him. I guess you would call that euthanasia. That is also carried out on many animals who are either very sick or have broken limbs that cannot be re-set, whereby they would be in continuous pain.
What you mare planning, in providing a new home for 'homeless animals' is great.
I don't know what we would do without our pets. We take them into our lives and do what we can for them, and in return they can chew our slippers or tear the backs of chairs, but they do have that endearing tendency to eat their way into our hearts and become a close part of the family.
Unfortunately there are some animals who do cause terrible grief, by attacking or biting, and even causing the death of a person or child, but in the main that is not necessarily the fault of the animal.
We also see the other side of their nature, where they can take a lesser fortunate animal - or child - under their care, and seeing that can often be quite a tear-jerker.

Good luck in your venture, and I for one look forward to reading of your progress.

smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Jun.2015, 01:01 PM
Post #10

Play Elvis Presley's version of "Old Shep"...If your eyes don't get misty...you must be dead!!!
+
Hisingen
post 23.Jun.2015, 02:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 23.Jun.2015, 12:01 PM) *
Play Elvis Presley's version of "Old Shep"...If your eyes don't get misty...you must be dead!!!

Or something nearer home (Sweden) - Hasse Andersson's ”Får man ta hunden med sig in i himlen?"
+
elliha
post 23.Jun.2015, 02:52 PM
Post #12

In Sweden many times the shelters do not accept all dogs or cats. This way they will need to kill way less animals. Animals seized by the police may be put down because they are seen as impossible to rehome but if they seem OK they are given/sold to shelters or other people willing to take them if the owner does not show up.
+
mjennin2
post 23.Jun.2015, 03:22 PM
Post #13

Awww, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your inputs. And good to hear from you, Mzungu! I'll keep everyone posted... and will check out the dog/cat adoption threads to see what I can find as well smile.gif It breaks my heart to know there are little fuzzies in Fuzzy Jail who just want a home and to be loved.. little pets who were discarded. Breaks my heart to pieces. I'll continue to search and figure out the best way to get access to the most at-risk fellas and will update here when the time comes.

@Gamla, as for dispatching trolls, I've always prefered the Whack-a-Mole method... it's fun for the whole family! wink.gif

And to round out this post with a pet tear-jerker in line with your lovely comments, Hisingen... has anyone caught a glimpse of this video that went viral a few weeks ago? Authored at the perspective of the dog "Denali". So sad, but so true. What would we do without our pets?

"When someone you love walks through the door, even if it happens 5 times a day, you should go totally insane with joy." <3
+
Laurelia
post 23.Jun.2015, 06:17 PM
Post #14

Apparently there are a lot of wild/stray cats found in areas my husband works in and his company call these people to come and collect them. I'm sure if you explain the situation they can help (he says they are pretty helpful).

http://www.new.huskatten.com/index.php/vara-katter/akut
+
mjennin2
post 23.Jun.2015, 06:46 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Laurelia @ 23.Jun.2015, 06:17 PM) *
Apparently there are a lot of wild/stray cats found in areas my husband works in and his company call these people to come and collect them. I'm sure if you explain the si ... (show full quote)

Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se