• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

New to Sweden

Suggestions on work?

organic225
post 1.Jan.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone,

I've been reading and posting on these boards for a while, so I am under no illusion at how inflexible the labor market is in Sweden. Some of this is undoubtedly due to the need to be proficient in Swedish and some is due to the strength of the unions, among other things.

I just arrived a couple weeks ago on a Sambo residence permit. I'm currently studying Swedish on my own while I wait for my personnummer to come in the mail. Then I will sign up for SFI. I know I have a long way to go with regard to the language, and I am okay with this as long as I am making steady progress.

My goal is to apply to medical school here in Sweden (don't laugh!). I know how difficult it is to get in, and how one's Swedish needs to be top-notch. I am planning to take the Högskoleprovet down the road. If I can't get in, I'll apply for pharmacy programs or something else in the science field. I spent the last two years in the U.S. taking two semesters of organic chemistry, two semesters of inorganic chemistry, two semesters of biology, and two semesters of physics. I also have a bachelor's degree in international affairs--not sure what good that would be here, if any.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what sort of jobs I may be qualified to do here in Sweden while I continue to learn the language. I'm planning on going to Arbetsförmedlingen once I get my PN and applying for a step-in job. Do you think they will be able to help me find something given my education?

I'd be grateful for any advice or encouragement you could offer. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
+
cartenui
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:41 PM
Post #2

glass collector at night club / pubs. doing dishes at resturants / pubs. working in a kitchen making sallads etc.
Best way to get it? I would recommend going there in person and asking a bartender if you think they need any people for dishes / glass collecting, for sure they will have someone who is responsible for staff onsite which u can talk to. If nothing else, leave your number and tell them to give you a ring if they need someone to jump in.

pay wont be good, 85kr/h maybe. perhaps 90-110kr if your lucky. eitherway in most places you will get a bit off the tip, normally 200-500kr on a fri/sat. With no previous work experience / education / swedish, i would start there.
+
Taxalien
post 3.Jan.2013, 04:43 PM
Post #3

The following statistical report gives you some idea how hard the högskoleprovet is for people with a foreign background...

http://hsv.se/download/18.539a949110f3d591...82144/0323R.pdf
+
organic225
post 3.Jan.2013, 05:27 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the input guys!
+
Schomberg
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:44 AM
Post #5

Ring up your local Kommu office and put your name down for vikaret positions. You'll get called pretty much right away to work in some school or dagis. Not great pay, but you're around swedes and that's a plus when you're learning the language.
+
skogsbo
post 13.Jan.2013, 07:18 AM
Post #6

Sweden does have a shortage of science teachers, but you'll good swedish first.
+
MarryAnn
post 13.Jan.2013, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Oragnic225 can you tell me how old are U?
+
raimonda
post 13.Jan.2013, 05:23 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Schomberg @ 13.Jan.2013, 12:44 AM) *
Ring up your local Kommu office and put your name down for vikaret positions.

- what does Vikaret position mean? smile.gif That sounds quite interesting for me as I have childcare experience.
+
raimonda
post 13.Jan.2013, 05:37 PM
Post #9

organic225 - How long did it take for you to get your residence permit?
+
organic225
post 13.Jan.2013, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Schomberg, thanks for the suggestion. Am willing to consider all options.

Raimonda, it took just over a week after I had my interview at the consulate to receive approval for a residence permit.
+
raimonda
post 14.Jan.2013, 06:49 PM
Post #11

Can anyone at all explain me what vikaret position means? huh.gif
+
having_said_that
post 14.Jan.2013, 07:02 PM
Post #12

raimonda, vikariat is when employee has to be away for a certain time period (sickness, parential leave, etc) and they need a temporary substitute to do the job until the person comes back to work.
+
raimonda
post 14.Jan.2013, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Is it called like that in Swedish or there is another name for it? Thank you your reply by the way smile.gif
+
having_said_that
post 15.Jan.2013, 11:25 AM
Post #14

raimonda, yep, http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikariat
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options