• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Fresh graduated Civil engineering in Sweden

Availabe jobs? masters? majors

marcoadler
post 14.Oct.2012, 03:55 PM
Post #1

hello everyone , I moved to Sweden this month and am seeking to have citizenship by political asylum .
there is a big chqnce for me get it very soon and i would like to knw what am i up to if iam a general fresh graduated vivil engineering , i studied in jordan university of science and technology (jordan . middle east ) n i have a 5 years bachelor degree with 159 credits .
i have noticed that there is a lack of civil engineerng or structural jobs in sweden and am rly confusd what should i do if i got the citizinship .. should i go for masters program , and what program is adviced? what kind of jobs i can get with my bachelor degree .. or should i give up for smth else ?
am only 23 years old .. no experience
Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
marcoadler
post 16.Oct.2012, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Up ..
any advice or info will be appreciated
+
Puffin
post 16.Oct.2012, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Not really sure what you position is - are you looking for asylum from threat or a work permit? Your terminology is quite strange as you make it sound like a regular move between countries yet in the next sentence say that you have applied for political asylum as you fear for your life.

Surely you are not applying for "citizenship" but "residence" or "refuge" as an asylum seeker - a lot will depend on that happens with your case, where you are claiming asylum from, which countries you passed through on the way here etc.You took a degree recently in Jordan so presumably you were not under threat there?
+
marcoadler
post 16.Oct.2012, 03:24 PM
Post #4

ur right i did not explain my situation in a gd way , and sorry for my ignorance in the differences between citizinship and asylum .. etc
iam Syrian , i applied for political ayslum due to personal proven reasons .. and iam expecting a permenant or long temporary residence .
I have a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering as I mentioned bin my main post .
The question is , IF i got the residence permit .. how could my bachelor degree be usefull for me .. ?? what can of job i can have with it ? is there any certain process to get my degree equalised ( sry for bad english i hope u get what i mean )
can i do a masters degree in swedish universities ? is that free for my situation ?

Thanks for making it clear for me Puffin smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 17.Oct.2012, 09:33 AM
Post #5

If your refugee status is accepted them normally you will be placed on a refugee introduction programme that includes language study and work experience so certainly you could talk to your supervisor who may be able to arrange contacts/work experience within local companies in related fields

If you are granted asylum and a personal number then you can get your previous qualifications assessed at The Higher Education Agency (Högskoleverket)
http://www.hsv.se/qualificationsrecognitio...7480002046.html
You can certainly study for free if you are a resident - however I don't know what the situation for living costs is. Usually the emphasis is on learning Swedish quickly to find a job

A lot depends obviously on what happens in your case
+
marcoadler
post 17.Oct.2012, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Those information were so valuabe for me , I highly appreciate your efforts smile.gif

My last Qs ... do you know any forum or discussion website for civil engineers in sweden ?

Thanks Puffin
+
Puffin
post 17.Oct.2012, 10:27 AM
Post #7

You could also look and search online for your own job as this might mean you are eligible for a work permit regardless of your refugee status
http://www.jobsinstockholm.com/
http://www.ingenjorsjobb.se/
http://www.teknikjobb.se/

You could also contact the Swedish association of Engineering graduates to see if they have advice/programmes for foreign engineers
http://www.sverigesingenjorer.se/aboutus/Sidor/default.aspx
+
ahm
post 17.Oct.2012, 01:04 PM
Post #8

What has Puffin said for you is true

Plus ,The followings :

You must equalize ur certifiacate and it will take usually 6 months avg. by Högskoleverket >>> http://www.hsv.se/2.539a949110f3d5914ec800056285.html

If you got ur personnummer you can study for free education but you should take economical assistance for living costs by CSN (Optional) if you are not working or no another source for money you have .

And if received this CSN with (study status),you will not will able to have any other financial assistance by government

Also , if they accepted you as asylum status , you can get paid for full two years by Arbetsformedlingen

Then in case of not working you will continue by less payment by Social kontoret.

Im not refugee ,
You can check this information also.

Thanks

good luck
+
marcoadler
post 18.Oct.2012, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Thanks alot for this usefull information .

I realy apprerciate it .

so if i got it right , this means i have two options of the living cost aid .. from CSN or from the asylum payments , is it my choice or someones else decision ??

Another question is .. is it possible that the hsv equalization of my certificate result will be studyin extra courses ? is that possible ? regarding my 5 years ( 159 credits ) bachelor degree ?

In addition to that .. what time can i apply to the masters degree ? Should i finish the swedish language program for asylum first or its nt a must ? What is the exact process and what should i pass as an asylum b4 applying to the uni ?
Ps. I did an Ielts test and got 6.5 in it

Am sorry for being greedy smile.gif
Thanks
+
ahm
post 18.Oct.2012, 03:00 PM
Post #10

[quote name='marcoadler' date='18.Oct.2012, 01:43 PM' post='771749']
Thanks alot for this usefull information .

I realy apprerciate it .

so if i got it right , this means i have two options of the living cost aid .. from CSN or from the asylum payments , is it my choice or someones else decision ??

Another question is .. is it possible that the hsv equalization of my certificate result will be studyin extra courses ? is that possible ? regarding my 5 years ( 159 credits ) bachelor degree ?

In addition to that .. what time can i apply to the masters degree ? Should i finish the swedish language program for asylum first or its nt a must ? What is the exact process and what should i pass as an asylum b4 applying to the uni ?
Ps. I did an Ielts test and got 6.5 in it

Am sorry for being greedy smile.gif

If u choosed Study status ,

Then only CSN will pay for you (and ask Arbetsförmedlingen too)

Only HSV Swedish National Agency for Higher Education , can decide your case ,

May be deserve master or you need more courses or u deserve the degree only

You should submit application you will find the applicatin form in Arbetsförmedlingen

And you can fill it in English and send it to HSV by post

Regarding your master , you can start search for the proper program and you should be aware for the dead line for application online

Here mostly every thing online ,.

When they accept you, then you will decide ,if can do The Program or no

You can work on Both directions , HSV ,and apply to Universitet

And you know that ur IELTS has Expiry date , and valid only for two years if u want to use it

So , make ur both work

And then wait ,

Language is not a must by rule ,(im not sure about asylum)

You can check with ur Handläggare (supervisor)

But in general , its not a must by rule , its a must to integrate with Swedish society and taking work and other benifits

You mostly 99% can not work with ur certificate unless u can speak swedish

And as a resident , you will suffer and feel lonely and strange without speaking swedish

As my opinon , and you can check it, English is a plus from Swedish

Used when its necessary and in hotels and for guests

But Sweden is Swedish

Recently (not a long time ago), they entered English programs in their universities for international Students for Post graduate students mainly.

So , u sholud start swedish Program , and when u r approved to study , then if u want,you can join Study path

But ur living costs will be a loan by CSN , and must be repaid when u can do it.(one time or installment) ,check with CSN

So.., right now ur finance by Arbetsförmedlingen then( ur nearst Kommon in case of no work never and by Försakringar A Kassa if u worked for 6 months or more and then lost ur job

You konw that you must have personnummer and must register when come with Skateverket and Försakringar but not A KASSA ,, i mean general insurance not A Kassa Insurance cause that for work for 6 months and more

Check these info. all
and have good luck
+
amardeep.application@gmai...
post 6.May.2013, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Hello everyone

I m amar from India. I have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and have been working in muscat for over a year (Estimator & Project coordinator). I got admit in Chalmers University of technology for the master program in Structural engineering and building technology for the september 2013 intake. The problem is I really dont know the status of Civil engineering Job market in Sweden as I am getting so much mixed reviews. I kindly request any Civil engineers in sweden to advise on the pros and cons of the field in sweden.
+
Max Reaver
post 6.May.2013, 04:49 PM
Post #12

There is one detail you must know, this applies both for Amar and the OP.

Civil engineer in English is someone who works with building construction, etc. In Swedish there is a word called "civil ingenjör", which basically means Master of Science. A "civil ingenjör" can be in any discipline, I myself am a "civil ingenjör" in biotech. Do not make this mistake when you are doing your online search.
+
PDX
post 6.May.2013, 07:14 PM
Post #13

From Wikipedia:

"Det engelska civil engineer markerar inte en viss akademisk examensnivå, utan en ingenjör som är utbildad i väg- och vattenbyggnadsteknik, det vill säga det civila samhällets behov av vägar, broar, byggnader etcetera."

~~~PDX~~~
+
chloeff
post 7.May.2013, 01:14 AM
Post #14

Heh I love the irony in your posts. I like what you are doing.

@ the OP, you would neither be able to get a job nor into a masters with that level of English.
+
amardeep.application@gmai...
post 7.May.2013, 05:49 AM
Post #15

Hi

Amar here. Does it mean if I know the swedish language I have a probability of getting my desired job (Structural designer for residential and bridge construction) after finishing my Masters in structural engineering (Chalmers Univ.). Is the Civil engineering market growing in sweden?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se