• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

Shrinking the state...in Sweden?

The new Swedish model

cogito
post 7.Feb.2013, 06:13 PM
Post #46

QUOTE (entry @ 7.Feb.2013, 04:54 PM) *
It is shameful that some individuals are given noble piece prizes, elected into high political office judged by the color of their skin but not the content of their character.This to me is racism.

It's the nouveau racism.

To return to our despots for a second:
The reason the benevolent despot theory doesn't work in the real world is that once in power, the benevolent bit vanishes.
Like the old saying, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Especially true of left-wing despots, who usually tighten their grip on power. Then, once they've wrecked their country economically and socially, as they almost always do, they have to be removed through revolt or revolution.

Right-wing despots (DeGaulle, Pinochet come to mind) often relinquish power through a democratic process when they belielve their departure will leave their country in better shape than it was when they assumed power.

I'm sure there are all sorts of examples to disprove what I've just said.

(clarification: am talking about western democracies here. not Asia, Africa or the M.E.)
Go to the top of the page
+
cogito
post 7.Feb.2013, 06:21 PM
Post #47

QUOTE (what would thomas paine do @ 7.Feb.2013, 02:13 PM) *
At least Meacham used "king" as a negative term. What are we supposed to do with Newsweek's editor saying Obama is "sort of god"? Or Jamie Foxx's r ... (show full quote)

I think "our lord and savior" works best, considering all the magazine covers picturing him with a halo.
(Wish I knew how to post pictures here...)
Go to the top of the page
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com