• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

What is it like to live in Sweden?

Wandering the earth

danmacgoo
post 6.Dec.2012, 12:18 AM
Post #1

What is it like to live in Sweden? Can a person from the USA move to Sweden and be able to find a job?
Go to the top of the page
+
Svensksmith
post 6.Dec.2012, 03:08 PM
Post #2

1. Depends on the individual 2. Possible, yes. Probable no. Do you speak Swedish? Have any salable skills?
+
ed.l.harris
post 6.Dec.2012, 04:33 PM
Post #3

My advise would be to really prepare yourself for disappointment. I have been here for 6 months and have been unable to find work of any kind. I have a bachelors degree and job experience in the finance sector. I apply to all kinds of jobs and use unique cover letters for each application. It is very difficult to keep positive, and at times my wife has to listen to a lot of my complaints. After hearing that if you do decide to move here, here is some free advise:

1. Be prepared to learn Swedish and start now! Realize that everyone who already speaks swedish is higher on the list even if you have more experience. Sure everyone knows English, but they are comfortable in swedish and prefer to use it at work (even though I must hear a thousand times how the like to practice their English). After you get a Personnelnummer you can enroll in SFI. I would suggest talking and visiting the different schools before you decide which one to go to because they are very different and some are better than others.

2. Spend time working on your cv and cover letter. Here is a video of a professor from KTH that discusses how to prepare a cv, cover letter, and the interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKfky_y7KUY...51B&index=7

3. Start working on your social network. I would recommend the American Club, and meetup.com . Often it is difficult to meet people here, but not impossible.

4. Don't waste your time with job fairs (which are typically more of a photo opp for the respective companies, and the only answer they have when asked about actual jobs is "you should look on the website") and sending your resume through the internet. Most times you find a job through friends or family. Network. Network. Network.

I can't express enough that learning Swedish is important. Coming here I thought it would be easy because I am American, educated and have experience. That was unrealistic! Without being able to speak Swedish I am no different than any other immigrant,I also thought being American would give me a higher social status...it doesn't. I mean think about it, if you don't speak the language you cant do anything with customers, sales, or a majority of jobs.

Prepare yourself mentally for disappointment and start working on it now...Good Luck!
+
Migga
post 6.Dec.2012, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Sweden often tops surveys and lists when it comes to living a good life. It`s modern and has made leaps regarding social rights. What that means in reality is that you have all the opportunities in the world to make a great life for yourself. But it`s no guarantee and you can definitely fail. Something that will cost you precious time.

If you want to settle down in a new country as smooth as possible you need to come prepared. If you don`t it will be hard and cause alot of stress. You can prepare by visiting beforehand, have social ties to the country, know the language, have a job waiting, know the norms and so on. Without it it will be tough, no matter the country.
+
BertieAhorn
post 6.Dec.2012, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Move from America to Sweden?? Is it mad in the head you are or what??

The young folk here are leaving in their thousands to try and find work, young Swedes I must add.

Factories are closing, or seeking pay cuts and shorter hours for what remains of the workforce...

And these Swedes speak Swedish by the way.

My advice to you is by all means move to Sweden but come via Somalia, you´ll be well looked after then, housing, education, some cash in your pocket etc.paid to go learn the lingo and don`t worry that the war has now been declared over I think it´s still something like 88% coming from there that will be allowed stay.

Failing that...how´s your Syrian???
+
dgd
post 6.Dec.2012, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Echoing the earlier comments, I've been looking for Finance work for almost 2 years and have applied for over 200 jobs. I have a bachelors degree, two CCAB accountancy qualifications and big 4 experience. Whilst I would agree that you need to learn Swedish, even then, if you're not actually Swedish (by birth) you'll find it really difficult. So don't think that learning Swedish is the answer because it really isn't.

Networking, as suggested earlier, is really important as many jobs vacancies are filled informally.

Other than that, think about what sort of work you are looking for and move somewhere where that skill is in short supply; normally outside of the main cities.
+
timmah
post 7.Dec.2012, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Whilst the above is largely correct there is always some annoying git who is the exception to the rule. I don't speak Swedish (yet, although I did start learning), don't have a university degree, but am happy and managing an IT department.

Yours truly,
Annoying git.

PS - listen to the people above.
+
RadioFloyd
post 7.Dec.2012, 07:18 PM
Post #8

I've often thought about the idea of leaving the United States for a fresh start in a country like Sweden or Denmark. I was born and live in New York city and love it with my heart but the political climate and overall hostile atmosphere that's dividing this country seems to get worse by the day and I find it troubling.
However, it is easy for most people to probably assume that if they're American and speak English it will be no problem, but this is obviously not the case (unless you're moving to Canada) Everyone takes things for granted including any networks or connections they've made, even if they feel like they have none (which is why they don't care), you WILL notice once you're really a foreigner somewhere.
As far as jobs go, I don't see how it would be any less difficult than finding one in the US, which is obviously still a major issue, particularly for those in their 20's. What I admire most about Sweden is that they don't seem to be caught up in certain issues that people (and the media) here vehemently go nuts over (religion,guns, blah). The strides in social equality is great and I think it allows a nation to focus on better things.
Anyway, not to ramble, but all decisions like moving abroad should be carefully and thoroughly considered beforehand. smile.gif
+
Svensksmith
post 8.Dec.2012, 12:13 AM
Post #9

Trust me, Floyd, it is a lot more difficult to get a job in Sweden (especially without speaking Swedish) than in America. Even a lowly dishwashing job.

That being said, I would never try to discourage people from giving it a try. Just know it will be difficult and have adequate resources to get by with until you can break into the right situation.
+
RadioFloyd
post 8.Dec.2012, 01:37 AM
Post #10

Sven, I agree, especially with the last part. Relocating for the sole purpose of thinking there are more jobs is silly. People used to come here for that but I can't imagine waves of Americans leaving for jobs abroad any time soon. Even in India and China where the economy has "boomed" and things appear to be going great, we still don't know if they'll maintain like so in the long-run. Even there, the number of job opportunities may be higher, but be prepared to make a fraction of minimum wage...Unless you're investing there (as Apple did and totally exploited the system)
Even if one accumulated some savings and were able to move for a change of scenery, as an American, I'd be wary of the negative perceptions around the world and being unwelcome :-/
+
Mark249
post 8.Dec.2012, 07:35 AM
Post #11

Lovely. Americans spoil the global economy and then they want to migrate and take other people's jobs.
+
RadioFloyd
post 8.Dec.2012, 08:06 AM
Post #12

the American criminals on Wall St. to be exact...
+
Mark249
post 8.Dec.2012, 08:11 AM
Post #13

Wall street is not to blame. It's part of american mentality.
+
Coolrunnings
post 8.Dec.2012, 08:25 AM
Post #14

Yuck, americans. I always discourage my employer from hiring such people. They have a very bad reputation in the labour market. I worked with some of them before, I know. Americans should immigrate to Greece, they have a lot in common when it comes to doing immoral things, misconduct, corruption etc.
+
ahm
post 8.Dec.2012, 11:56 AM
Post #15

I dont know why always people advertising sweden as a job center.

While its tough scandiavian country wich recognize swedish speakers ,Nordic countries and some respect to EU

Even swedes cant find jobs easily ,swedes who born to swedes outside sweden and cant speak swedish will be like foreginers who need years to find job and struggling with finding any houses,apartments,,,,etc.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options