• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Question about "Job masseuse"!

Moving to Sweden..

Expo
post 25.Jan.2013, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Hello everybody !

I thinking about moving to Sweden soon (Kalmar, Karlskrona. Ronneby). In 6 months my country will enter EU. I have certificate that I am qualified for massage from Croatian chamber of economy. In other words, I am massage therapist. So, is there any chance for me to work that kind of job in Sweden ? I know I can˙t work the moment I enter Sweden of course. Also I know that I need to go to SFI. So in my case i won´t be able to work for a year at least, i know that. I just want to know if they approve that kind of certificate or I need to take some exams to get their certificate.

I apologise for grammar mistakes. Thank you for any kind of advise and help !

LP
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 25.Jan.2013, 03:47 PM
Post #2

You cannot come to Sweden and stay for 1 year as a job seeker. The maximum allowed is 6 months, and that does not give you the right to join SFI courses either.
+
Expo
post 25.Jan.2013, 03:52 PM
Post #3

Huh, now i see how stupid post i wrote. I´m sorry. My wife is swedish, and probablly we will deside to move to Sweden rather than Croatia.
+
marieantoinette
post 25.Jan.2013, 03:57 PM
Post #4

I have some family ties to Croatia (my mother was born there, so we still have some family) and I want to immediately tell you that the amount of disturbingly wrong information distributed there via mainstream media when it comes to Sweden and Croatian EU accession is worrying, and I can imagine a new large batch of homeless immigrants to Sweden after July 1st.
The things you claim to know reflect just that. There is not only no formal requirement of EU citizens to take SFI (even though you are allowed to, once you have a personnummer, but if you explore these forums a bit, you will see that you might have a hard time getting one) but there is no "I know I won't be able to work for the first year", during which, I presume, you genuinely believe you will be entitled to some sort of state support, for which I don't blame you, because I've had people show me newspaper articles claiming just that. Unless you have a serious amount of money saved up (which then I wouldn't recommend you spend on a year in Sweden but rather on 20 years in Thailand), there are no grounds on which you would be granted this year you are talking about, one in which you study Swedish for free and wait to feel confident enough to start working.

I am under the impression that Croatian media is either maliciously or naively combining information on EU freedom of movement with experiences of people who emigrated from ex-Yugoslavia to Sweden during the Balkan wars, when these people were asylum seekers and subsequently granted a much different set of rights than any EU citizen can hope for.
+
Case officer
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:03 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Expo @ 25.Jan.2013, 03:52 PM) *
Huh, now i see how stupid post i wrote. I´m sorry. My wife is swedish, and probablly we will deside to move to Sweden rather than Croatia.

If you intend to move to Sweden with your Swedish wife you may be granted a residence permit. This permit allows you to be a job seeker or study at SFI if you please.
+
Yorkshireman
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Expo @ 25.Jan.2013, 03:52 PM) *

This kind of implies that Your wife is not living with You now?, or are You both living somewhere else? outside of Sweden pr Croatia?
+
Expo
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:35 PM
Post #7

Thank you all for answearing, I really appreciate it ! smile.gif

The main reason i started this topic is because i wanted to know if Sweden would approve my certificate or I need to take their courses to get one.

I can´t work untill I pass SFI, and i can˙t go to SFI untill i get personnumber, and I can´t get personnumber untill i get job in which my work contract must be one year or i need to have large amount of money to prove that i can support my self at least one year. I know all that. And I will have a place to live in of course. Any suggestion how can I find out will they approve my certificate ? Who I need to contact ?

Thank you for help ! smile.gif
+
marieantoinette
post 25.Jan.2013, 04:49 PM
Post #8

If you have a Swedish wife as you say you do, you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you apply for a residence permit based on that. This other stuff (provide for myself, study Swedish, yadda, yadda) sounds much easier than it is in practice. I know quite a few EU citizens who came to Sweden with such plans and left very quickly. You will not be able to find suitable work without any Swedish and you are probably underestimating the toll this will take on your well-being, especially if you are moving to Sweden with ideas of a better life for yourself. Also, SFI is not exactly the best place to learn the language efficiently and quickly, and if you are married to a person who speaks Swedish, you should start studying right away, and not wait for SFI, as that will take a while no matter what approach you take to moving to Sweden.
+
Expo
post 26.Jan.2013, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Thank you marieantoinette for advises. I didn˙t know that SFI is not quite good as I thought so. And about paper work, don˙t worry, we have all that in mind. smile.gif

But yet I didn´t get my answear about massage therapist in Sweden, how does it work ? Who I need to contact to check that ?

Thanks for help.

LP
+
marieantoinette
post 26.Jan.2013, 10:48 PM
Post #10

All people here can do is google, just like you and your wife can. I would say that the answer greatly depends on what your certificate actually is, and currently only you know that. Maybe these people? http://www.bmms.se/
Or these here http://www.svenskmassage.se/en/ ?
These are just the top two google hits. You might end up waiting a while if you want a first hand answer from a person with a Croatian massage certificate now practicing in Sweden. Again, I find it odd that you are married to a Swede, and yet prefer to obtain your information via an English speaking online community, when all this is a simple google search and a phone call away to your spouse.
+
wabasha
post 28.Jan.2013, 12:29 PM
Post #11

SFI is what you make of it. its not perfect. they clearly state you must study outside class hours. i was very lazy in SFI but did learn some grammer rules and met some friends I still have today. as for your profession, I have no idea what you got to do, but plenty of Thai people work with this and speak very little swedish. good luck and welcome
+
Yorkshireman
post 28.Jan.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #12

A happy ending ...maybe! rolleyes.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description