• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish citizenship denial

Svenskt medborgarskap

sticky43
post 18.Feb.2013, 07:37 PM
Post #1

i have recently been rejected for svenskt medborgarskap based on time in sweden. i followed the guide on migrationverkets website which shows that 4 years in sweden is appropriate and i applied after 4 years of residency and finally received the denial decision 8 months later. i was rejected because apparently i need to have lived in sweden for a total of 5 years. it will be 5 years for me in may. so i then appealed the decision hoping that the process would take some time and be prolonged until after my 5 year mark, but i received the second denial reply, surprisingly, within a few weeks. the next step will be to take the case to förvaltningsrätten/migrationsdomstolen. i have never been in this situation before and have never dealt with the swedish legal system. a few questions i have are:

1. if the court date is after my 5 year mark, will i automatically be accepted since it will be, of course, 5 years residency? 2. should i get my own lawyer?

i was also outside the country for 2 months, which i heard after 40 days they start to prolong the time needed to achieve the 5 year mark. i have called them several times and even emailed them without much success. its difficult to find useful concrete information. do you have any good information on this area? hope you can shine some light on this situation for me. thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 18.Feb.2013, 07:42 PM
Post #2

blink.gif
+
Johno
post 18.Feb.2013, 07:55 PM
Post #3

Totally out of curiousity I googled and found http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.html , so which guide have you been reading ?

It seems clear enough that its 5 years unless you are a refugee or stateless (4 years) or have been in a relationship when it depends ? Anyway, are you or do you think you are a refugee or stateless, and perhaps you should tell us which, or are you in a relationship. And whats the point of taking it to court if you are not yet within the 5 years if that applies to you ?
+
johnjohn
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:08 PM
Post #4

5 years is 5 years! You are wasting court time and money. Simply apply again as going to court is useless.
+
CathySky
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:16 PM
Post #5

I agree with JohnJohn.

Simply apply again after the 5year mark. You appealing is wasteing your time and money, you won't win.
+
Yorkshireman
post 18.Feb.2013, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Going to court can only be a test that the original application decision is right or wrong ... you are just wasting your time since the decision when it was made was the correct one. However, sometimes one can add new evidence that was not taken into consideration which supports your application, it is an interesting question whether they would indeed take additional time waiting for the appeal as being enough to overturn a prior decision.

The question you have to ask yourself is ...do you want to wait months for a court decision, or do you want to re-apply to become a citizen when the correct time has elapsed! To me in this instance it is a no-brainer decision ...makes more sense to just re-apply, rather than fight.
+
PDX
post 18.Feb.2013, 09:16 PM
Post #7

Wait, now I got it! You're from 'murica ! biggrin.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
axiom
post 18.Feb.2013, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Right, I'm pretty sure it says 5years is the normal waiting time, with a few exceptions 3yrs for sambo/married and 4years for refugees.
+
Children Of Adam
post 19.Feb.2013, 12:34 AM
Post #9

Just to let you know that refugees from Afghanistan and Somalia must wait 8 years to get citizenship. It depends where you come from and what kind case do you have with immigration?
+
sticky43
post 19.Feb.2013, 12:41 AM
Post #10

the court date would be scheduled after the 5 year mark. thus making it the allotted time period. it took 8 months to get the initial decision. if i re-apply, it can take up to one year to get another decision. such a situation would also be wasting my time. i have paid already paid the 1500 sek application fee, which is gone no matter what. to reapply would cost another 1500 sek. to wait out a possible court overturn should not cost anything, right?
+
Children Of Adam
post 19.Feb.2013, 12:46 AM
Post #11

where are you from? and how did you come to sweden? work? sambo? marriage? asylum?
+
sticky43
post 19.Feb.2013, 12:54 AM
Post #12

i used the guide on the webpage to calculate my acceptance ability. it touched lightly on the time requirements, but i cleared all that was posted. it simply stated that 4 years was suitable for an application and, like most situations that i have found in sweden, one should not rely on one source of information.

Attached Image

+
Johno
post 19.Feb.2013, 09:47 AM
Post #13

Interesting - a refugee from Tanzania - something fishy somewhere and they picked it up.

If you are a refugee
You are required to have been resident in Sweden for at least four years if you are a refugee. In order to be considered a refugee, you must have been granted a residence permit as a refugee in accordance with Chapter 4, section 1 of the Aliens Act or corresponding sections in the old Aliens Act. It is not sufficient that you were accepted within the scope of the refugee quota.
+
johnjohn
post 19.Feb.2013, 10:53 AM
Post #14

You want to go to court for an error you made to possibly save 1500sek while costing the Swedish taxpayers perhaps 100000sek for almost no gain in time or applicable rights? The prosecution must prepare a case, a judge or judges booked and a courtroom reserved with security and stenographer. Are you appearing without a lawyer? What happens if it takes one year to schedule? What happens if they rule decision was correct and then they say go ahead an apply again costing you one year's time and another 1500sek? You now have virtually every right as you will with citizenship. Simply apply again now or in a month or two and stop playing the system.
+
CathySky
post 19.Feb.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (sticky43 @ 19.Feb.2013, 12:41 AM) *
the court date would be scheduled after the 5 year mark. thus making it the allotted time period. it took 8 months to get the initial decision. if i re-apply, it can take up t ... (show full quote)

why the rush? you have already waited 4 - 5 yrs, another 1 yr to reapply isnt a big deal.
Why are you so bent on getting the citizenship asap? Either way, whether you win the appeal in court or not, you will still have to fork out another 1500kr to reapply. Do yourself and all of us a favour and wait until you have reached the 5yrs benchmark and reapply! Simples!!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se