• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

'Sweden will continue to punch above its weight'

The Local
post 20.Feb.2013, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Sweden's ability to pack a foreign policy punch equal to the jab of the big EU three - Germany, France, and the UK - is neither remarkable nor a passing fad, writes international relations Ph.D. candidate Annelie Gregor.

Last week, the think tank European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR) published its third annual scorecard, which grades Europe's success and failures as a foreign policy actor. The report names and shames what it calls "slackers" while applauding "leaders" and determines whether Europe has succeeded in defending key foreign policy interests.

Like eager and anxious Victorian pupils returning home with their report cards at the end of term, some European leaders will be looking forward to a pat on their back while some will likely have some explaining to do at supper.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 20.Feb.2013, 12:27 PM
Post #2

To think that Swedish military is equal to France or the UK is comical. I'd estimate sweden has about 20-25% of the military capabilities of the UK!
+
isenhand
post 20.Feb.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #3

- about 20-25% of the military capabilities of the UK
Yes, somewhere about there, if you include Hv as well. But it's not just personnel. The Swedish army also has equipment and organisation problems.
It's interesting the article picked up on the weakness in defence in relation to foreign policy.
+
jostein
post 20.Feb.2013, 02:42 PM
Post #4

The trick is to dedicate the resources of the Swedes to causes that are not in their interest and does not serve them in any way shape or form. Read any initiative or article by any swedish politician about foreign policy. Its UN this, Palestine that, West Sahara this, arab women that. But never ever they show any awareness that their job in a representative democracy is to represent the interests of the electorate. That is what a representative democracy is supposed to be, elected representatives looking after the interests of the distric they represent. Not so in sweden, land of the irresponsible, ignorant, undemocratic political adventurers.
+
rise
post 20.Feb.2013, 07:37 PM
Post #5

Well here people use to state Sweden is a coward anyway... Probably people just envy of the Swedes.
+
swedensux
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:28 PM
Post #6

200 American or British well trained soldiers could conquer that wasteland called Sweden. I spent four years in that dump...where the men are cowards, the weather horrible and the people just as worthless. This whole article makes me laugh!
+
Flygger
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:53 PM
Post #7

@swedensux
Tuttut tut..
My mummy taught me that if you haven't anything nice to say you should keep your big fat obnoxious trap shut.
She also told me that people who go around spouting rubbish, like you have, are obviously only interested in the contents of little boy's underwear.
I don't know if that is true of you or not but it does seem very strange there is no evidence to support you do not enjoy little boy fiddles and no-one can seriously be expected to believe you do not.
Can you please provide concrete evidence to prove you are not a kiddy fiddler or evidence that you are maybe just a mad and unadjusted troll ??
+
Migga
post 20.Feb.2013, 10:39 PM
Post #8

@ swedensux
What a disgusting and racist comment.
+
Phillynilly
post 21.Feb.2013, 02:27 AM
Post #9

Swedensux is unfortunately correct. The Swedish army couldn't indulge in a combat exercise if it tried.. Ask any special forces from the US or UK...
+
rise
post 21.Feb.2013, 07:41 AM
Post #10

@ Phillynilly, swedensux
Poor little boys showing petty jealousy now when Sweden is shown from a bright angle.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Feb.2013, 11:43 AM
Post #11

Philly, Sweden does have some reasonable troops, but they are low in numbers. UK troops, tactics and equipment is quite war hardened after the past 10 years, there is no substitute for experience and UK troops are certainly not lacking. It just wouldn't be a fair fight!
+
rise
post 21.Feb.2013, 12:19 PM
Post #12

@ skogsbo
So... do you mean Swedish troops lacks the experience? After all Sweden has been participating in Afghanistan also since 2002.
But of course one cannot compare England (52-53 million people) with Sweden (9.5 million people). It would only be pathetic.
+
cogito
post 21.Feb.2013, 01:36 PM
Post #13

The British don't have much reason to swagger too much given their inglorious role in 2007 in Afghanistan. They retired from the base in the city to Basra airport where they came under regular mortar and rocket fire. The city descended into gangsterism. When on 25 March 2008, Prime Minister Maliki flew down to Basra and launched the 'Charge of the Knights' to clear out the Sadrists, the British division commander was skiing in Switzerland
+
rise
post 21.Feb.2013, 02:44 PM
Post #14

I don't think that's something the two patriots wants to hear one word about. ;)
+
Phillynilly
post 21.Feb.2013, 08:48 PM
Post #15

Of course the only angle Rise could answer with is that of "jealousy". Since Swedes have the immature jealous trait firmly entrenched in their psyche it's little wonder that they think everybody else does.
No, Rise, we are not jealous of you. Rather we wonder why Swedes are anywhere near Afghanistan. Since the Swedish army body count seems to be non existent then it is obvious that the Swedish army is nowhere near any actual combat.. They would doing what Swedes are good at. Filling out forms and paperwork...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options