• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

American living in Gothenburg

Anyone else?

anAmerican
post 20.Sep.2009, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Hey I was wondering if anyone from the US lived here in Göteborg? How long have you lived here? and what state are you from? I've been here about a year, and I'm curious to how many Americans are here.
Go to the top of the page
+
Miss Kitten
post 20.Sep.2009, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Hello and welcome to the Local! I'm an American, originally from Upland, California and I've been living in Sweden for about four years. I've been in Gothenburg for the last year and a half. Whereabouts in Gothenburg do you live? Myself and the other members of "Team Gothenburg" (comprised of English speaking expats/immigrants living in this fair city) regularly get together for beers at one of the local pubs. It would be great to have you come along for one of these events, if you're up for it. smile.gif
+
entry
post 20.Sep.2009, 05:22 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (anAmerican @ 20.Sep.2009, 04:56 PM) *
Hey I was wondering if anyone from the US lived here in Göteborg? How long have you lived here? and what state are you from? I've been here about a year, and I'm curi ... (show full quote)

Welcome aboard. In my more than five years living in the Göteborg area, I have only come across three other Americans in person. This past summer my family and myself spent a month in NYC where I was born and worked for 20 years. In 2004 or 2005 I was taken by friends to the Stars and Bars pub in Majorna(or around there), I was told it was an American bar, not for nothing but I was the only American. The wife and I rarely make it out to the bars in Göteborg and instead have lots of fun with our Finnish,Swedish, and Danish friends close to home. Lots of luck to you. If you attend one of the Göteborg meetups perhaps my wife and I will consider coming in to welcome you in person.
+
Floridian in Sweden
post 20.Sep.2009, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Hi, I am originally from St. Louis, and then Florida. I have been in Gothenburg 2 1/2 yrs. Welcome! Lets all get together soon!
+
Benzed
post 20.Sep.2009, 09:15 PM
Post #5

I've got two Yankee friends here, one from Charleston in South Carolina, and one from Vermont.
+
futureishere
post 20.Sep.2009, 09:18 PM
Post #6

There are a whole bunch of Americans here from Utah. No prizes to guess what they are doing here! wink.gif
+
Cmhiggins12
post 20.Sep.2009, 10:23 PM
Post #7

Been here a little over 7 years. Came as an expat and decided to make it home. Grew up mainly in Southeast - Florida and Carolinas. There's always a few American expats in Gothenburg. I have contact with a few at Volvo and thru a local english speaking church. Let me know if you plan anything and I can forward to a few of them.
+
Windup Bird
post 14.Oct.2009, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Another American here...from Connecticut. I've been here about a month and half, but I lived here for a year a while back. I know about 4 other Americans here. I think there are a lot more than you would think...I keep hearing American English randomly around town.
+
Tim Harrison
post 15.Oct.2009, 08:36 AM
Post #9

Here's another American as well, from St. Louis, MO. Four years ago since arrival to Sweden, live about 40 miles east of Gbg, work in the north suburbs of Gbg.

Floridian, I think my wife and I met you at the American section at ICA Focus in Gbg about two years ago. Funny!
+
Floridian in Sweden
post 18.Oct.2009, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Tim...we did meet at ICA, and talked on Amerikanska as well...lets all get together soon....
+
Benzed
post 19.Oct.2009, 10:51 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Windup Bird @ 14.Oct.2009, 08:56 PM) *
Another American here...from Connecticut.

Whereabouts in CT? Know a little town called Lakeville at all? I worked at a big summercamp there for 9 weeks in 2001.
+
stuscotland
post 19.Oct.2009, 01:15 PM
Post #12

You worked at camp sloan Benzed? Me too!!
+
Joselyn N
post 19.Oct.2009, 01:36 PM
Post #13

I am also a fellow American who just moved to Gothenburg about 3 weeks ago. I am self-employed, living here with my boyfriend who is finishing his second year at Chalmers. Needless to say, I know no one and would be very interested in any meetups!
+
Benzed
post 19.Oct.2009, 05:06 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (stuscotland @ 19.Oct.2009, 02:15 PM) *
You worked at camp sloan Benzed? Me too!!

Yeah! Haha, small world innit. I was head of Junior Boys, ruling my section with a lettuce fist and breaking most of the rules I was supposed to enforce. When were you there?
+
craicen
post 19.Oct.2009, 06:13 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Benzed @ 20.Sep.2009, 08:15 PM) *
I've got two Yankee friends here, one from Charleston in South Carolina, and one from Vermont.

Correction, your friend from South Carolina, is not a Yankee and if he has his roots in the South would (or at least should) be just as insulted as an Irishman who was called English would be. He is a Rebel or a Southerner, take your pick.

Brits often mistakenly called all Americans Yanks.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com