• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Risks of changing my kids' address to their mom's?

Concerned Dad

TimV
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:09 PM
Post #1

I am an ex-sambo with shared custody of our 2 kids. They live with me 2 wks and their mom 2 wks.
My kids' mom has asked me to consent to changing their official address to her house since I am often working abroad when the kids are with her.
Her argument is so that the kids' mail-- almost nothing of significance since they are 9 and 7 yrs old-- doesn't sit unattended for 2 wks. when I'm away. A friend collects the mail for me when I'm gone, but she doesn't want him opening it.
Anybody have experience with this? Seems a bit risky. It could affect school choices and many other things I suppose.
Grateful for advice.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mo
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Hi this happened to me a few months ago - rang Skatteverket for advice - no worries they said, asked around nothing concrete came up - what you should know is that the Barnbidrag should be paid to the parent at whose address they are registered - I found this out afterwards - I certainly would not trade this away for free again with hindsight.
+
TimV
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Thanks! Haven't bothered to call SV as expect the official response is that you got-- no problem.
Waiting for my lawyer to get back to me with her view.
+
Yorkshireman
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:42 PM
Post #4

It doesn't make that much difference. It can effect school choice depending how far apart you live, but that can also be negotiated within the same Kommun.

For official post for the kids, anything important that requires parents signature has to wait anyway, if you are travelling, assuming you have joint custody then it requires both signatures anyway! So, official post laying around unattended is a rather lame excuse wink.gif

As for barnbidrag ...FK send that automatically to the parent where the kids are folkbokfört ...if you have joint custody, and the kids swap between the 2 of you, then just contact FK and tell them you want the barnbidrag split between both parents, and they will do that. (this was something changed not so long ago smile.gif )
+
Mo
post 25.Jan.2013, 05:54 PM
Post #5

^^

interesting
+
TimV
post 28.Jan.2013, 01:46 AM
Post #6

Thanks, no problem with barnbiddrag and good point abaout official mail. Main worry is that the change may open me up to problems down the road with custody and that I won't be informed of things except selectively.
+
JulieLou40
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Is it possible that she could be ordering passports for the kids, and wants them delivered to her place so you don't know they exist? Just a thought...
+
skogsbo
post 28.Jan.2013, 08:43 AM
Post #8

not likely as both parents need to consent, either by form, or at the Police station where you can just show your id in person and save yourself a form. Passports are then collected in person at the Police station. Different set up to the UK.
+
Emerentia
post 28.Jan.2013, 06:47 PM
Post #9

If they get like a birthday greetingcard or something like that, it's kinda sad to get that 2 weeks after their birthdays. Can't your friend just give or send the kids mail to her address when you are away?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN