• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Investment Income (capital gains, dividends, etc.)

For Canadian or US Citizens Living in Sweden

william9876
post 29.Oct.2013, 07:01 PM
Post #16

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go for to find an accountant that knows about this stuff at a reasonable rate in Sweden?
Go to the top of the page
+
Mib
post 29.Oct.2013, 08:01 PM
Post #17

Did a Google search and here are some links that migt be helpful to you or useless. you'll have to contact them to find out...at least a Plan B if no-one on here answers your question.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-sweden - See links on lower page for free quotes for tax advice

http://www.taxesforexpats.com/sweden/us-ta...-in-sweden.html - They dsiplay their fees

http://www.internations.org/sweden-expats/guide - A higher quality forum for expats...som eof which will more likely to be able to answer your question possibly. Worth a try.

I suppose the American embassy is worth a try. you're not the first and won't be the last with these types of questions. They might at least be able to give some contacts. http://sweden.usembassy.gov/
+
wabasha
post 24.Nov.2013, 07:53 AM
Post #18

tax time is around the bend. are their any simple answers to the original post? William?
+
Darwinder
post 25.Nov.2013, 12:45 PM
Post #19

Seriously for the amount of time you guys have invested worrying about this, take a 1 hour trip down to Ernst & Young and get all your answers at a reasonable rate.
+
scottparks
post 30.Dec.2013, 04:55 AM
Post #20

If it's from Swedish investments or while in Sweden then it's a flat 30%. I'm a professional trader moving to Sweden and have talked with the taxation department in Sweden about this. Just make sure you declare on your US taxes you paid X amount in Sweden for that investment income.

Best of luck!

Scott
+
wabasha
post 2.Jan.2014, 11:57 AM
Post #21

thanks scottparks!
i was afraid that was the truth. it hurts a little huh? strange they(skattv.) told me 15% on the phone. I was quite clear about it.

good luck in 2014! if you don't mind me asking, what do you think the hot sector will be? but you probably play at a different level than myself.
+
scottparks
post 2.Jan.2014, 03:59 PM
Post #22

No problem wabasha,

I trade commodities like heating oil, crude oil, Dow e-mini, Nasdaq e-mini and end of day (EOD) forex on 12 pairs.

I'm putting together a hedge fund and hopefully I'll get enough investors by end of 2014 or sooner to have enough assets under management (AUM) to finish up on the costly paperwork.

Feel free to reach out to me at scott(at)vitawealthpartners.com anytime. You may also call (415)890-3725

Good Luck in 2014 in your trading. May you have much success!

Scott Parks
+
LLHope
post 2.Jan.2014, 11:46 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (wabasha @ 2.Jan.2014, 10:57 AM) *
thanks scottparks!i was afraid that was the truth. it hurts a little huh? strange they(skattv.) told me 15% on the phone. I was quite clear about it. good luck in 2014& ... (show full quote)

It depends upon what you mean by quite-clear. It is most likely that the person told you the amount of Swedish tax you would pay (15%) after deducting a possible US tax rate of 15%, which in total between 2 countries you have paid the Swedish typical rate of 30%.

You do not need to calculate the tax to pay in Sweden, just submit the declaration documenting the capital profit/loss (remember to include losses also!) and taxes paid outside of Sweden (make sure that you have documented proof) and Skatteverket will do the adjusted calculation for you!
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN