• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Salary vs living in Stockholm

Online info is confusing. Need help from local

pabon
post 17.Dec.2012, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone. It is my first post on TheLocal. Seems it to be a really cool alive site and I hope to become a dweller here smile.gif

I'm offered to move in Stockholm with a gross salary of 32 K SEK. I am single young professional. Moving around the globe of course interesting for me but I hope to sustain comfortable living there and do some saving for future. Online there is a lot of information which is absolutely confusing. For example, at GlassDoor salary level for this role is 24 - 28K. Average median income after tax according to Numbeo.com is 20K. So 32 K seems pretty nice number. But Wikipedia states an average gross salary level is 3911 € which 34 250 SEK, and this is for whole Sweden which must be even higher for Stockholm. In this sense 32 K is not so good. (article Economy of Sweden)

Meanwhile the same Numbeo.com claims Rent is on average is 26.5% of total expenses. If you take their average of 20K that will be 5 300 SEK. On housing websites it is not possible to find a decent apartment lower than 8-9 K SEK. Also Wikipedia

Which budget should I consider is ok for a housing? I also would like to travel and do some savings.
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen
post 17.Dec.2012, 01:04 PM
Post #2

Assuming you get what is usually referred to as a second hand rental your figure of SEK 8 -9 thousand a month seems reasonable to me.
+
Localer
post 17.Dec.2012, 03:29 PM
Post #3

not much but you can live with that.
+
redblue
post 17.Dec.2012, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Gross salary of 32 K equals 25 K after tax. Rent about 10 K. public transport 0,8 K, food 2,5 K.
+
pabon
post 17.Dec.2012, 04:14 PM
Post #5

This seems optimistic ! Still 12 K left for clothing and travels
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Dec.2012, 04:24 PM
Post #6

The gross salary quoted in Wikipedia is probably before payroll tax, i.e. what the employer actually pays for the employee. The gross salary the average employee gets before income tax is closer to 2900EUR.

As a single young professional you can live nicely on 32k before tax. No luxuriously, but nicely.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description