• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Loud neighbours' music

Listening to loud Arabic music

fisherman34
post 22.Jul.2013, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Guys I live with my gf's parents for now. They have had a house in one of the silence area in Malmö (5km away suburb) before new neighbours moved in. It s quiet peaceful, silent area and all houses are close to each other. Those people listen to music everyday, even they are not in the garden they open the doors and turn on the volume super high. Even I am Turkish (music sound is close to Turkish music ) I can't stand this s..t , let alone my swedish gf and her family. Can you please inform me what rights we have in Sweden, what can we do about them. P.s. I'm sorry for swedish people, well that kind of idiots ruin their culture, silence, peaceful life..
Go to the top of the page
+
Boar
post 22.Jul.2013, 05:41 PM
Post #2

You can call Securitas after 10.00 pm untill morning 07.00 am. Other times they are more or less free to make nuisance in some way. Don't talk to the people who make noise. Because, then if you complain later they know it is you who complained. Quietly ring the number of Securitas. They knock the fuker who makes music. You find phone number in your renting rules paper. If they disobey they get fine of a couple hundred krones.
+
Hisingen
post 22.Jul.2013, 06:00 PM
Post #3

Had it not been a quiet zone I would have suggested meeting like with like as I had to, many years ago.
I moved my speakers to the windows, put on an opposite type of music, and turned the volume way, way over the top.
The message was received in about ten minutes, and we all returned to peace and quiet afteer that, and no more disturbance.
You might consider trying the same - but only for a very brief time, since you don't want to upset your other neighbours. If they don't get the message straight away, then you will have to contact the local council as what they are doing is creating a 'sanitär olägenhet' as it is in Swedish, which is unlawful according to the 'Miljöbalken'.

Have you tried talking to the people concerned? If not, then I believe that that should be the first step, and mention that what they are doing is not allowed, and could cause them trouble.
As they are neighbours, the friendly approach first is the way to go, otherwise they could get annoyed and make even more noise, becoming the virtual 'neighbours from hell', and that no-one would want.
It would probably be best if your GF's parents did the talking, since it is their house, but nothing prevents you going along too, to add weight as it were.
I wish you luck- My way worked for me, since it was sudden and brief, but I feel that a softer approach in your case might do the trick - as a first step anyway. If it fails, then the heavier method via the council will have to be considered,
+
Seamus Sean
post 22.Jul.2013, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Listen to Hisigen, knock on their door and ask them to turn it down.

That ratting up them up without first talking to them is rotten, maybe they don´t realise they are playing it too loud and they you´ve landed them in trouble, they will know someone has been grassing them, no who, but they will have a fair idea and you will feel guilty and hang your head when you see them...anyway you are not Swedish so why do it the Swedish way, best of luck, and be sure to let us all know how it goes? smile.gif
+
fisherman34
post 23.Jul.2013, 12:07 PM
Post #5

I know that kind of people really well, they don't think they disturb people, coz in their culture they don't think of other people!! Somestimes i think if I put some speakers faced their garden and turn on the volume after I warn my neighbours why I do it.. But then I say to myself calm down , calm down, do it on a nice way...

But the thing I don't understand is why you don't have any rules about it in Sweden, people can't have their freedom if it passed over others... They have right to listen to music in their garden but there should be a limit for neighbourhoods.. I m sure I m not the only one in this country having this problem, why none try to fix it in laws and save others right as well. Those people used to live here for years, and one idiot come from another culture, another life and moved in a house in a really silent area mostly oldies live. And ruin it with unbearable songs. Who will protect their rights? Next door of those people is an 70 years old guy I used to see him resting in the garden everyday, who will give his peaceful house back after those idiots moved in ? It s Ramadan and they played yesterday last volume "Allah Allah🎵" "Muhammad Muhammad 🎵" lyrics songs!! I m Muslim as well but I don't wanna hear that stupid songs all around here!! Idiots!!!
+
Boar
post 23.Jul.2013, 12:29 PM
Post #6

My suggestion is to do the Swedish way. Because, if you talk to them and explain they will give a bad face and maybe reduce the sound temporarily. But, later they will make it again after a few days. If you explain again then they say some reason and say we will shut it down, could also become angry on you.
If you knock on their door then also you and they have to face outside and feel guilty to each other. I have experience in that kind of things. I apply rat style. I simply call the number and in 10 to 15 mins the nuisance is gone as the Securitas guys arrive and talk to them. I did in several locations. That worked all the time. Never knock the door of your neighbour. Sometimes some neighbours can be aggressive. Then you will be unable to face them later as they can create problem in some way or the other. Don't try to teach your neighbour how to live as it doesn't work in the long run in this country. If you explain to your neighbour and if he doesn't listen and later puts the sound again and if you complain... your neighbour knows it is you who complained. But, if you complain directly he doesn't know who complained as there are several houses attached. He will feel guilty by guessing and not knowing who complained.
+
Emerentia
post 23.Jul.2013, 01:18 PM
Post #7

Securitas only come if your bostadsrättsförening or hyresvärd has an agreement with them, and pays them. If you own your own house, you probably dont have access to this.

Why not go to them, welcome them to the neighbourhood and just ask these neighbors to close their doors, when they listen to music and its great to wear head phones if you want to listen to music while they are outdoors. They probably dont realize how load it is and its disturbing the peace of others.
+
Jamshidtash
post 23.Jul.2013, 03:28 PM
Post #8

I live on 6th floor and there is a bald young swedish teen rides his motorbike just on sidewalks and makes huuuuuge sound all over night.
Maybe it's his message or demonstration for immigrants like me tongue.gif or he must be escaped from mental hospital. But I wish to throw a brick on his head one day smile.gif)))) so he would never disturb anyone else. For now I am just patient since I will move from here soon.
+
Seamus Sean
post 24.Jul.2013, 09:19 AM
Post #9

It seems Boar is all for turning you Swedish in your dealings with your fellow man, rat them up behind their back, the way of the sneak or is that snake?

I still reckon doing it the way of the mature adult you meet in many other lands, just tell them, knock on their door, smile and be polite, explain the music is too loud and how they could get in trouble, hey you could print out Boars posts and show them they are now in the land of the "faceless grass" a country where people report each other quicker than give each other the time of day.

Who knows they could be decent, nice people and thank you for warning them of the snakes they find themselves living in the midst of.

That´s just my advice and how I would deal with noisy neighbours.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN