• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Chasing the sun

Events and stuff for the longest days

chinde01
post 4.Jun.2015, 10:11 PM
Post #1

Hi All

I'm new to Sweden and am enjoying the long days we're currently having. I am a little too far south (Örnsköldsvik-ish) to get the full 24hrs daylight, however I am planning a trip north to see it. Can anyone suggest any good events which will be happening around that time which will take in the super long day? I am particularly interested in any Sami/traditional folk type stuff.

Many thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 5.Jun.2015, 08:04 AM
Post #2

You mean midsummers day, or rather the Friday before? Or in general? As those farther north will enjoy the sun for a month or two constantly, not just a set day.
+
chinde01
post 5.Jun.2015, 09:45 AM
Post #3

I'm not too hung up on midsummer day/eve (as I know there is a bigger window than just the one day) but I will be traveling around that time as I'm thinking that that is when the events will be.
Currently looking at the Saturday/Sunday just after midsummer.
+
skogsbo
post 5.Jun.2015, 12:35 PM
Post #4

sat, sun... You might find some family day time stuff, but most people will be recovering, cleaning up and doing a trip to the bottle bank with the empties.
+
Hisingen
post 6.Jun.2015, 11:01 AM
Post #5

With crowds at the chemists getting Alvedon or Alka Seltzers - - - biggrin.gif
+
elliha
post 12.Jun.2015, 10:30 AM
Post #6

I suggest a little trip to Gammelstads kyrkby outside Luleå to see a world heritage site and a beautiful medieval church which is quite unique in the northern parts of Sweden. Then I suggest that you go to Jokkmokk. Jokkmokk will give you the 24h sunlight you want to experience and there you can also for example visit Ajtte the Sami museum or find some nature activity there if you want to see the difference in the environment compared to Örnsköldsvik, it is truly significant. If you go to Jokkmokk you will pass Harads, they have a very nifty tree hotel which I haven't checked out but it seems very interesting. Voullerim could also be a destination for you or why not any of the fjäll-resorts in the very northern parts such as Riksgränsen if you want to do some hiking and nature exploration. It is fully possible to go to these places in the summer as well even though they are generally considered to be skiing resorts.
+
chinde01
post 13.Jun.2015, 10:37 AM
Post #7

Thanks elliha, great suggestions. I had been eying up Luleå and Jokkmokk so this fits really well. Riksgränsen looks a bit too far for a quick weekend away.

Many thanks!
+

Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
?>