• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Losing ones citizenship

Passport problems

Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:54 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (oddsock @ 17.Jan.2013, 07:34 PM) *
The rules you show are those of the option procedure (optieprocedure), they don't apply to naturalisation through descent. Then you don't even have to be living in Hol ... (show full quote)

Fair enough, but then you need to go trough the citizenship test (know the language), give up your current nationality (if possible), not having a criminal record, i.e. you need to show some suitability and sufficient connection to the Netherlands. Most countries (except maybe Ireland) have criteria you need to fulfill to regain your citizenship. Very few countries accept that you just send a mail whenever you feel like becoming a citizen again.
Go to the top of the page
+
oddsock
post 17.Jan.2013, 06:56 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (openCV @ 17.Jan.2013, 04:18 AM) *
How does one get a permanent residence permit?...from what i could decipher, it seems like you gotta reside in sweden for a time period before being granted a permanent reside ... (show full quote)

Hello openCV, you're in luck, I like helping people:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.html

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page, where it says Exceptions from period of residence requirement.

Seems quite straightforward! Good luck! Don't know if you can trust a website though, so try contacting a Swedish embassy?
+
oddsock
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:04 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 17.Jan.2013, 06:54 PM) *
Fair enough, but then you need to go trough the citizenship test (know the language), give up your current nationality (if possible), not having a criminal record, i.e. you ne ... (show full quote)

When you are in a hole, stop digging. Somebody being a former Dutch citizen, born in the Netherlands to a Dutch parent demonstrates the connection and effectively exempts one from the citizenship test.

The citizenship test is a piece of right-wing politics aimed at immigrants from third world countries and is not applied to people called Janneke and Henk returning from Canada (even if they only speak English).

You really can just decide to become Dutch again when it suits you.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Jan.2013, 07:31 PM
Post #34

Care to give some reference?
+
oddsock
post 17.Jan.2013, 08:06 PM
Post #35

No, not really.

I am more interested in helping OpenCV.
+
openCV
post 19.Jan.2013, 01:27 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (oddsock @ 17.Jan.2013, 05:56 PM) *
Hello openCV, you're in luck, I like helping people:http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/499_en.htmlScroll down to the very bottom of the page, where it says Exceptions fro ... (show full quote)

Yup I wrote a "declaration of citizenship request" to the Swedish Embassy yesterday, seeing as that seems to be the only way to be sure. I will post the results so in the future it might help someone else looking for the same information.

Fingers Crossed! =)
+
openCV
post 22.Jan.2013, 02:17 AM
Post #37

Just as a "semi-update". Apparently there is an very good chance that i did not "lose" my Swedish citizenship, because before 2001, there exists a special condition to legally have dual citizenship.

" Swedish citizens were still able to legally hold dual citizenship in certain circumstances, for example, if the other citizenship was acquired automatically at birth." from wikipedia therefore its not reliable so i looked deeper...

From http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/283_en.html

Dual citizenship
A child who acquires the Swedish citizenship of their mother or father at birth may receive dual citizenship. This applies in the following circumstances:

1) The child is born in a country where the law stipulates that all children born there automatically become citizens of that country.
2) The child receives the foreign mother's or father's citizenship at birth.

So my mother is Swedish, and father is Canadian, and since i was born in Sweden, i aquired Swedish Citizenship through birth, as the following applies:
"The child of a Swedish mother will always become a Swedish citizen."

And to meet the second requirement
"Every person born outside Canada after 15 February 1977, who has a Canadian parent at the time of birth, is automatically a Canadian citizen by descent.."

So in i guess a weeks time i will hear back from the Swedish embassy and hopefully confirm above "research"
+
yurik0002
post 11.Aug.2013, 06:39 AM
Post #38

Hello openCV,

Did you get the reply?
We have similar situation where child was born in Sweden to Sweden father and Russian mother, and then was moved to Russia before 2001.
Now she is 18 years old and we thought about sending "declaration of citizenship request" to Sweden consulate.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com