• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

British/Swedish Citizenship - New Born

Advantages or not?

scott_a
post 2.Jan.2013, 08:49 AM
Post #1

I know this subject has been covered on numerous occasions on these forums but I just wanted to stick up a post to get some clarity for our situation.

I am a UK Citizen and my partner is a Swedish citizen. We have been together for 6 years and I have lived and worked here for about 4 years. We are not married, but engaged. We are expecting our first child in August next year and the plan is that the child will be born here in Sweden.

My understanding is that the child will automatically be issued Swedish citizenship and be eligible for a Swedish passport. We travel a great deal both inside Europe and outside Europe and it's possible we may live in the UK or Australia, US at some point. Basically, I wanted to know what advantages the child would get for us to try and gain British citizenship and a British passport. Obviously, there are advantages to using different passports outside Europe but otherwise, are there really any real benefits of citizenship? If so, what are they and how would we go about getting dual citizenship for our child (if this is possible).

All replies are greatly appreciated! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen
post 2.Jan.2013, 09:49 AM
Post #2

Regardless of the fees, I think you should give your child dual citizenship if only to make him or her like his parents. I suspect (but am not 100 per cent certain) that your child will not be able to pass on the UK citizenship to his or her own children because of being born abroad....the British embassy will be able to confirm this. They will handle the application for you. When we looked into it for our own son, there seemed to be few practical benefits at the moment, but you never know how the world might change. What would happen in the event of an UK EU exit for example?
+
Puffin
post 2.Jan.2013, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Your child is eligible for dual citizenship

A lot will depend on future plans and events. EU membership means similar rights within the EU although this may change if one country was to exit the EU - in addition some jobs are reserved for citizens of that particular country

For children Swedish citizenship/passport is a lot cheaper wink.gif
- a UK 5-year child passport via the passport processing centre costs around 1500kr + another 1000-1500 to register the birth
- the last Swedish child passport I got was around 500SEK at the localpolice station and registering the birth was free
+
dave.smith
post 2.Jan.2013, 10:58 AM
Post #4

I am in a similar situation, although I am having such issues just renewing my own UK passport that I have actually decided to go for Swedish citizenship myself and not bother to renew my British passport.

In this case, will my children still be eligible for British citizenship? (I suspect the answer is yes, but I want as little to do with the current German-based British embassy mess as possible).
+
byke
post 2.Jan.2013, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Passport renewal for british citizens in Sweden is no longer processed in Germany.
As it moved to Liverpool, England 4 or so weeks a go.

I am not sure who does what now, but I would strongly advise the OP to claim citizenship for their child. I am not sure on what basis he will be able to claim it, as the laws may have changed.

Contact the embassy and ask them.
+
skogsbo
post 2.Jan.2013, 11:38 AM
Post #6

I would do both, firstly, because life changes and so will your plans. It also keep employment and education doors open for the kid in the future, regardless of EU membership and agreements, who knows what state it will be in after another 15-20years.

Cost - I would doubt Puffin's figures, but she is rarely wrong! smile.gif It might be cheaper if once you registered the birth, process the passport paperwork when visiting the UK, by handing it in at either at the actual passport office or a Post Office, I think it will be about £70-80 then.

Longer term, the UK's recent foreign policy has not built bridges globally, so if the kid ever wants to do some travelling to more interesting and exotic places, it will be better off with a Swedish passport, but it's horses for courses.
+
Ned Smitty
post 2.Jan.2013, 01:04 PM
Post #7

I'm about to be doing the same thing and already looked into it all too. The British Embassy in Stockholm has the information on how to register the birth.

The fee for registering a birth is 1260 SEK. If you wish to have a certified copy of the consular register entry, the fee is 2000 SEK.

More info here:
http://ukinsweden.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-b...-register-birth

If the child is born in Sweden, then it would be eligible for "British Citizenship by descent", as long as you yourself are NOT considered "British Citizenship by descent". What that basically means is that the child can become a British Citizen, but cannot (generally) pass on the citizenship to their children.

A person, who is a "British citizen by descent", can pass on the British citizenship if their child was born in the UK and the parent has lived in the UK for three consecutive years. The registration for British Citizenship must be done while the child is still a minor. (The British Nationality Act 1981 defines a minor as ‘a person who has not attained the age of 18 years’.)

A child's passport (under 16) costs £101.36 in Sweden... but if you appy in the UK it costs £46 to get a child passport by post to a UK address, or £54.75 using the Post Office.
+
Essingen
post 2.Jan.2013, 01:13 PM
Post #8

Be grafteful that the child you are registering has not been adopted here in Sweden. In such circumstances the fees rise to over SEK 5,000.
+
byke
post 2.Jan.2013, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Just a heads up, it is a criminal offence to apply for a british passport for a child who is not in the UK at the time of application (in regards to sending it to a UK address to save a few quid) and if caught can lead to criminal charges.
+
Ned Smitty
post 2.Jan.2013, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Good point!
+
byke
post 2.Jan.2013, 01:31 PM
Post #11

I did the kids passports (renewal) a month or so back, sending the application to Liverpool.
In total it took like 6 days from Sweden and back.

Truth be known, I spent more time filling in the application and its needs.
That the actual time spent from the agency in processing it.
+
scott_a
post 3.Jan.2013, 11:43 AM
Post #12

Hi Everyone, thanks for your responses.

Have gained a great deal of useful information there.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but surely our child would be able to gain British citizenship later in life should he or she choose to do so? It seems a slight waste of money investing on dual citizenship if he or she would never have any interest in living and working in the UK anyway? Should they wish to later in life, there would be nothing stopping them applying for citizenship if he or she were to have been a resident in the UK for more than 5 years, am I right ?

Would it not make greater sense saving that money and supporting them later (should they need help financially) in their application to become a British citizen? Applying later in life would not forfeit them their Swedish citizenship anyway as dual citizenship is allowed?
+
byke
post 3.Jan.2013, 11:59 AM
Post #13

You never know how the laws will change in the future, in regards to requirements etc.
When our kids were born there were a lot of hoops we had to hop through and it wasn't easy finding a straight answer. The choice is obviously yours .... but IMHO its a very nominal fee to pay in regards to what you get.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 3.Jan.2013, 12:00 PM
Post #14

You do not need to apply for British citizenship for your child to have dual citizenship. They will have it automatically from the moment of their birth. If one parent is British by birth (ie was born in the UK) then they are automatically a British citizen. Citizenship is not dependent on having a passport. They can apply for it at any time in their lives, just like any other British citizen. The only difference is that they will be British by descent (ie not born in the UK) so cannot pass their citizenship on to their children.

You do not need to register the birth the embassy. This is a service offered to those who want it and who may want a 'British style' birth certificate. Although the document issued is NOT a birth certifcate. The child is a British citizen regardless of registering or not and is entitled to a British passport regardless of registering or not.
+
Abe L
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #15

Always always always get your kid as many citizenships as you possible can based on yours and your partner's current and family tied nationalities.

It will at some point in their life either pay-off or make things a lot easier. Even small things such as being able to pick one passport for a visa with country X and another passport for a visa with country Y where country X and Y don't really like each other. As in, don't visit Israel with a stamp from the Iranian border in the same passport.

I've personally greatly benefited from having 3 nationalities and can only highly recommend you do the same for your children. Even if it's just to make travel and relocation easier.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com