• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Personal Business Plan in Company

Review with manager

kristokr
post 29.Jan.2013, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Hello All,

I had the review of my personal business plan with my manager who is leaving the position and with the person. replacing him.

In my review he said he was not satisfied with my progress and that I need to take more initiative and concluded that i haven't met the objectives. (he was of the view that i should have asked for more projects and I explained to him that the only reason was that I had a baby 6 months back and was going for parental leave for 42 days, which he knew)

For the Personal Business Plan for 2013 the new manager has invited me to the meeting with the HR and she said if I need to bring somebody, I can do that. They said it is to help me out so they can devise a plan. She said it was just to do a pre planning.

Should I be concerned? I am not a member of a union

I am from the Telecom industry but now in Automotive. Doing something which is very different to my studies and previous work experience

Unni
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 29.Jan.2013, 12:29 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (kristokr @ 29.Jan.2013, 12:07 PM) *
the new manager has invited me to the meeting with the HR and she said if I need to bring somebody, I can do that.

This bit makes me raise an eyebrow! Who do they expect you to bring to such a meeting?

Do you have a possibility to join a union?

If it were me I would have a chat with the union rep in the company to discuss what might be behind it and depending on what they say look to join the union ASAP.

I can't say that I have come across such a situation previously where there was an invitation to bring someone along with me to a personal review meeting so I may be interpreting in incorrectly for the Swedish context but to me it certainly doesn't sound very positive.
+
Essingen
post 29.Jan.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Yes, you should be concerned.

As things stand now, they would like you to leave. However, to terminate someone's employment for personal reasons is not that straightforward. They must have grounds for doing so and the purpose of devising a personal action plan for 2013 is to give them those grounds, if you don' t perform.

You need to consider whether you are in the correct employment. If you decide that you aren't, use the time that you now have to look around for something else. If you are satisfied with your performance and believe that your employer is being unreasonable you would be well advised to join a union.
+
johnjohn
post 29.Jan.2013, 01:15 PM
Post #4

Never heard of bringing someone to a meeting however I would suggest a hired hand who looks like a mafia hit man preferably Russian.
+
PDX
post 29.Jan.2013, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Come one people, it's an obvious hint for contacting a lawyer unsure.gif

OP, bring a union lawyer with you to the meeting if you can arrange it. At the least, everything will be documented very well..

The Russian or Serbian guy you bring only at the last stage, when it's the time to negotiate about your termination package.

~~~PDX~~~
+
Jules
post 29.Jan.2013, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Completely agree with Essingen, read his/her post and take heed. Every alarm bell I had would be ringing if I were in you shoes.
+
kristokr
post 29.Jan.2013, 05:46 PM
Post #7

Thanks all. I talked to the union representative. He said he doesnt think its a union matter yet based on his experience in the company.He told me to go the meeting on Friday and see what the agenda

Will keep you all updated.
+
Yorkshireman
post 29.Jan.2013, 10:55 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (kristokr @ 29.Jan.2013, 12:07 PM) *
Should I be concerned? I am not a member of a union

No need to be concerned, they have been very open with You and told You that they want to create a plan for 2013. Your Managers concern was that You may not meet th eexpectations they will set, so You need to be ready to fight your corner, especially since it is likely in these tougher times that expectations for 2013 are higher than 2012 ...remember You now have a child, so parent leave etc... should be included in reducing reasonably any objectives set.

If Your manager had not been clear about the fact that You should have sought more projects during 2012, then that is not yoru problem it is just an opinion ...the Manager has a responsibility also for managing You wink.gif and that includes raising at the time any concern about chasing additional work.

I seriously doubt You are going to be fired like the others suggest, that is not the impression I get from what You say they have explained. The possible reason for including some additional person in the meeting may be to do with bringing in a colleague that can help stand your corner, explain anything if language is an issue?, and maybe also how You should approach your work ...difficult to say, but it doesn't sound like anything bad.

Not being in a Union makes no difference right now ... since most Unions have a qualifying period where once you join they will not help you anyway ... this is to make sure employes do not just join when they is trouble!
However, do consider if You want to join a Union or not, in todays economy it could be a safer haven than not being in one.

Also, just so You understand, one clear reason for believing it isn't about firing You is ...if the company has an agreement with a Union, regardless if You are a member or not ...if they wanted to remove You, they would not suggest coming to the meeting with HR with another person ...they would have immediately asked if you were a Member of a Union. If Collective Agreement exists, they must approach the Union 1st if You are a Member and deal with them, and the Union will ask if you want them to negotiate etc... even if it was for a written warning, they still normally in the agreements must go through the Union 1st. So, not being in a Union, means they 1st have to ask if You are in the Union or not ...and that would be a sign of their intentions.

Go to the meeting, take a colleague if You need support ...have an open discussion, don't agree to anything immediately as you are entitled to time to think things through wink.gif ... and then agree objectives for 2013 smile.gif

Good Luck.
+
james5
post 30.Jan.2013, 05:17 AM
Post #9

Yes you concerned.Business is best way to grow high.
+
skogsbo
post 30.Jan.2013, 07:44 AM
Post #10

Sounds like your old manager was incompetent, if you have a review every 3,6,12 months, but he says nothing about your performance until the end of the year and his departure, why wasn't he speaking to you months ago, he should have been advising, developing you etc.

Perhaps in your new meeting, without your old idiot, you can develop a better plan and hopefully the new one will be able to communicate with his staff better. Problems and issues should be dealt with as they develop, work loads adjusted, advice given continuously.

But, you must also advice them when things are tough or you need help too, but if they are robot managers without people skills, then they make themselves unapproachable. It's a two way street. if you do ask for help or advice etc. email them, track the email, then print and keep as proof that you are at least fullfilling your side of the bargain, even if they don't action anything.

Join a union, ask them to accompany you, if not take a friend, but you can play the role of a union person and perhaps clarify anything they say, which could be taken either way.
+
kristokr
post 30.Jan.2013, 09:38 AM
Post #11

Thanks Yorkshireman and Skogsbo.

What Yorkshireman has written was pretty much what the union representative in the company told me. To make my opinion heard and to not discuss too much about what is wrong and would could have been done, rather to focus on the positives.

Previous manager was stand in replacement until a new person is hired and he did mention that he should have taken more care , though we've had one on one sessions each month about my progress.

I discussed again with him before I met the union guy and he mentioned that the meeting was only to help me get going and to help in writing the plan (The plan written earlier was from an earlier manager and some items were outdated).

Keeping my fingers crossed
+
skogsbo
post 30.Jan.2013, 09:50 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (kristokr @ 30.Jan.2013, 09:38 AM) *
Previous manager was stand in replacement until a new person is hired and he did mention that he should have taken more care , though we've had one on one sessions each mo ... (show full quote)

sounds like a tale of managerial incompetence, you know that and they know that. As you say, don't mention the unmentionable and move on to better things. The new permanent manager might be the breath of fresh air that is needed.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se