• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Flat pack kitchen units

Where to find at a reasonable price?

Gordy
post 9.Sep.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #1

I'm planning ahead to fit a new kitchen in November/December.

We have been around various kitchen showrooms in Malmö and even find the supposedly cheaper ones outrageously priced.

And as for Ikea even though they are the cheapest of what I have seen their prices are off the wall for what you are getting. A quick comparison on ikea.pl shows prices of the same products 40-50% cheaper there.

It just seems their is no price competition for kitchens here.

By comparison in Ireland I used a company called Cash & Carry kitchens the last time I bought a kitchen and got fully built carcasses and solid wood doors for half the price of what Ikea want for flat pack and mdf.

I am resigned to the fact that to get any sort of value I will have to get flat pack carcasses and glue them together to make sure they last.

In the UK or Ireland you could just walk into the likes of B & Q and pick what you want at a reasonable price or ebay.co.uk is absolutely full of sellers with bankrupt stock and the likes for a quarter of the price of Ikea units.

I have had no success in finding something similar here and I am not interested in buying 2nd. hand units off blocket.

Does anyone know where I can find stuff here at a reasonable price?

I haven't priced shipping from the UK but has anyone bought in a kitchen from the UK or the continent?
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 9.Sep.2012, 01:47 PM
Post #2

The easiest is probably to rent a van and go down to Germany or Poland and buy the stuff yourself. The Swedish market volume is simply too small, thus leading to higher prices and less competition.
+
Gordy
post 9.Sep.2012, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Ahh, I'm sure there must be one entrepreneur here who has seen the gap in the market.

It's like the wall hung WC's I went looking for yesterday, Bauhaus were 4,000kr and Hornback 5,700kr but I found an online seller just up the road from me in Arlöv with them for 2,085kr. which competes with ebay prices from Germany.

The market for toilets isn't any bigger than the market for kitchens, so surely just one company can offer competitive prices for kitchen units?
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 07:55 AM
Post #4

I just renovated my home this Summer and purchased a majority of my materials from Germany and Lithuania. I reckon I saved about 40-50% on materials such as :
1.Water mixers and taps
2.Piping
3.Toilet, Bath, Shower
4.Tiles
5.Oak Flooring
6.Under Floor heating system
7.And of course my Kitchen

I then arranged for everything to be collected and shipped to me here in Sweden by a contact I have in Lithuania for €750.

For a flat pack kitchen, drive to Poland and pick it up yourself or ask the supplier to see if they have contacts who can drive to Sweden. For toilets and stuff like that, search online in German stores. Living in Malmö it is an easy drive to collect such stuff.

Most Swedish hardware stores pride themselves in stocking only Swedish manufactured materials. The downside is that they are vastly overpriced. For example, I paid only 50% the price for the special smart pump that I needed for the underfloor heating system in Germany compared to the same spec Swedish made pump. The pump I got was German made and a well known brand. You have the whole of the EU to shop in without having to worry about import duties smile.gif
+
Gordy
post 10.Sep.2012, 09:34 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Sep.2012, 08:55 AM) *
For a flat pack kitchen, drive to Poland and pick it up yourself or ask the supplier to see if they have contacts who can drive to Sweden. For toilets and stuff like that, sea ... (show full quote)

Cheers John, but do you or anyone else have links to retailers of flat pack kitchens in Poland? Taking the ferry over to collect it is no problem but I need to check price and availability first.
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 10:06 AM
Post #6

Google is your friend smile.gif

http://www.poland-export.com/search/?kqcid...amp;dq=&pq=
http://www.bimfurniture.com/
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Sep.2012, 12:00 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Sep.2012, 08:55 AM) *
For toilets and stuff like that, search online in German stores. Living in Malmö it is an easy drive to collect such stuff.

I have noticed that in recent years, enterprising German companies have opened large DIY outlets on Fehmarn close to PuttgardenThe size of the outlets along with the booze shops are certainly aimed at the Swedish buyer as the local population is too small to support the number and size of the outlets.
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Yep and many large builders suppliers in Germany are more than happy to put together an order and arrange shipping too. Cheapest option however is to collect yourself
+
Gordy
post 10.Sep.2012, 01:22 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Sep.2012, 11:06 AM) *

Thanks John, but I was through that site a few months ago and it's particularly focused on wholesale suppliers rather than retail suppliers, was hoping to find someone with local knowledge who could point me in the direction of companies with big DIY sheds in Poland.

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 10.Sep.2012, 01:00 PM) *
I have noticed that in recent years, enterprising German companies have opened large DIY outlets on Fehmarn close to Puttgarden The size of the outlets along with the booze sh ... (show full quote)

Thanks Rick do you remember what DIY stores have outlets there? Bauhaus, Hornback or others?
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 01:39 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Gordy @ 10.Sep.2012, 02:22 PM) *
Thanks John, but I was through that site a few months ago and it's particularly focused on wholesale suppliers rather than retail suppliers, was hoping to find someone wit ... (show full quote)

If you know any Polish people ask them to do a search online. Alternatively get all the article numbers you need/want on Ikea.co.uk and build a shopping list on Ikea.com/pl . Again, if you have any Polish friends they could help you with this.

Just random check I did there a few minutes showed that a kitchen cabinet that costs £42 in England is only £13.61 in Poland for the same article number smile.gif

You could probably put together a nice kitchen for under £400 quid plus travel costs...

Also worth considering looking if any polish person travelling to Sweden wants to make a few quid if they collect and deliver for you..
+
Gordy
post 10.Sep.2012, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Yeah I have a printout of all the article numbers required for a kitchen I designed in Ikea in Malmö I should take an hour and bash them all into ikea.pl and see what the total comes to.

I had previously checked two random cabinets and the price in Poland for both was about 40% less than the Swedish price.

I have some friends down around Frankfurt, I must drop them a mail and see where they recommend for flat pack kitchens but from what I remember from when I lived there for a year around '99 it was mostly fully built units that the major sellers supplied with about 6 weeks lead time.
+
Gordy
post 10.Sep.2012, 06:27 PM
Post #12

I just went through the list of components I had for our Ikea kitchen design and the total came to 53,131SEK to purchase in Sweden or 16,279PLN to purchase in Poland which at today's exchange rate is about 33,500SEK or a saving of about 37%.

I must check on ferry prices to see how much that takes out of the price difference.
+
John.Smith
post 11.Sep.2012, 08:14 AM
Post #13

Ballpark you would be looking at 8000sek in travel costs between ferry, petrol and overnight etc... You would save 10.000sek+

You could put an advert in local paper and see if anyone else is also interested in doing same and split the costs for fuel and ferry.
+
Gordy
post 11.Sep.2012, 03:01 PM
Post #14

Had a quick look at ferries and it would actually be better to travel from Karlskrona to Gydia as you then arrive close to Ikea Gdansk, taking the ferry from Trelleborg or Ystad means a 5 hour drive in Poland to the closest Ikea. Cost for the ferry is 4000kr return for a car and trailer and a cabin each way, no need to overnight in Poland.

Like you say would be good to share the costs with someone else.

For the moment I think I will try to explore what options are available from the UK.
+
John.Smith
post 12.Sep.2012, 09:54 AM
Post #15

Post an advert in the local rag and also blocket and see if anyone is interested in chipping in. You can rent/borrow a van and trailer between 2-3 persons.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se