• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Bring back school uniform in Sweden?

Puffin
post 30.Oct.2007, 11:41 AM
Post #1

It seems the "baggy trousers" debate has reignited the school uniform debate in Sweden with some politicians demanding a return to school uniform
http://www.aftonbladet.se/
Go to the top of the page
+
Mzungu
post 30.Oct.2007, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Absolutely!

Solves the problem immediately!
+
Miss Kitten
post 30.Oct.2007, 11:53 AM
Post #3

When I was in high school, our dress code was so restrictive that some of us thought we might as well have school uniforms. However, the school decided to deal with dress-code violators on an individual basis.

Personally, I think that wearing one's trousers half way down one's ass so that half the undergarment is exposed looks tasteless and ridiculous, but it's amazing what some people call fashion these days.

Miss Kitten <-- feels old
+
Dick Swinger
post 30.Oct.2007, 12:26 PM
Post #4

This is one fashion that is hanging on for too long, usually we get a style that causes a problem but it blows over, this one is hanging around.
+
PeeWee
post 30.Oct.2007, 12:35 PM
Post #5

I remember as a kid (yes, here in Sweden) how my school organized a drawing competition, they wanted us to come up with a symbol that would represent our school, and that symbol would then be put on sweaters, T-shirts and sweatpants that our parents could buy for a VERY low price.

I believe it was a girl in grade 6 who drew the winning symbol - a mama bear and a baby bear hugging. They printed it on the clothes in white, and the clothes came in red, blue, green and black.

These clothes then became a school uniform of sorts, and for several years all the kids at my school wore their "school clothes" (combined of course with our own jeans, pants or skirts - this was grade 1-6 and kids back then didn't really pay too much attention to "fashion trends").

Kids should dress as kids, underwear should BE worn (as the name suggests) UNDER your other clothes, not displayed for everyone to see.

A uniform doesn't have to be all "fancy", I would gladly see a more basic dress code in school, similar to the clothes I wore as a kid!

*edited multiple times due to typos - yaaawn*
+
*Sandyclaws*
post 30.Oct.2007, 12:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Miss Kitten)
Personally, I think that wearing one's trousers half way down one's ass so that half the undergarment is exposed looks tasteless and ridiculous, but it's amazing what some people call fashion these days.

Miss Kitten <-- feels old

Even more ridiculous when you cant walk or run properly in those trousers! :roll:
+
Mzungu
post 30.Oct.2007, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Extraordinarily convenient for a quickie...either way! biggrin.gif
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 30.Oct.2007, 01:13 PM
Post #8

Yeah, lets(pant)get back(pant)to girls school uniforms...oh my God heaven(pant)again. Holecutter dusts off his grimy pack-a-mack and trilby and rushes to the sweet shop to stock up on essential supplies.

:twisted:
+
justagirl
post 30.Oct.2007, 01:53 PM
Post #9

^
Watch your step. You could slip on all that drool.
+
Ewise
post 30.Oct.2007, 02:07 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Holecutter > The Howl From Hell)
Yeah, lets(pant)get back(pant)to girls school uniforms...oh my God heaven(pant)again. Holecutter dusts off his grimy pack-a-mack and trilby and rushes to the sweet shop to stock up on essential supplies.

:twisted:

Agreed, school uniforms should only be implemented if creepy older men find them erotic. :wink:

French maid outfits maybe?
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 30.Oct.2007, 07:45 PM
Post #11

I have a model friend who went to a bording school near Stockholm and wore a uniform. This is from her facebook page.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9552/n7...68689267mk2.jpg
+
Stockholmer
post 30.Oct.2007, 07:57 PM
Post #12

What would be the problem with a school uniform?
As so many kids today anyhow dress according to other rules, thus no individuality, I cannot se the problem with a school uniform.
+
Pink Ninja
post 30.Oct.2007, 08:58 PM
Post #13

Me and my boyfriend have often had lengthy discussions about this. I'm firmly on the side of school uniforms. We didn't have one in my primary school until I was about 9, after lots of parents inquired and eventually a vote was taken. In secondary school, being a bit of a loner and never one of the "in" crowd I used to loathe non-uniform days and worry about them for weeks in advance. I knew several people that just wouldn't go to school on those days because they knew what to expect in terms of bullying etc. My boyfriend has a very different opinion, having grown up in Sweden, but also having experienced school uniforms from his childhood in Chile. This was totally different to my experience as it was much more strictly enforced and restrictive, even down to things like length of hair.

I guess the answer lies somewhere in between, and I'm totally sympathetic to the idea of a dress code. The idea of ANYONE placing value on pupils' "individual integrity" at my school is as likely as them introducing GCSE Swedish...
+
Stalkhome
post 30.Oct.2007, 09:35 PM
Post #14

Well said pink. I wore and hated school uniforms all my school life but now I can understand how it helped me and my parents to survive in that posh locality school.
+
Charles Xii Was A Bit Of ...
post 30.Oct.2007, 09:49 PM
Post #15

So bringing back caning not likely then?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se