• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Birth Certificate of new born baby

Zshaikh
post 26.Aug.2008, 11:45 AM
Post #1

Hi Friends

Does anyone know the procedure to obtain a birth certificate of new born child? We have got a baby week ago and today received her personal number and a form suggesting name for the child.
But where to get birth Certificate ?
Is it just personal-bevis for child ? When I asked Hospital about it seem they have hared this term "Birth Certificate" for the first time. Same goes for Vårdcentral. I am suspecting it might be Tax authority who should issue such document. Any experience ?

///
shaikh
Go to the top of the page
+
Princess P
post 26.Aug.2008, 11:52 AM
Post #2

Congratulations. I don't know the answer to your question though.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 26.Aug.2008, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Yes, födelseattest (birth-certificate) has been replaced by personbevis.
+
Puffin
post 26.Aug.2008, 12:35 PM
Post #4

Yep - all you need is the person bevis in Sweden.

As soon as you have filled out the forms from Skatteverket with the final choice of names etc you will be issued with a final personbevis and personal number (the one you get at the hospital is often only preliminary)
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 26.Aug.2008, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Congratulations!

I don't know the answer either, but something struck me as odd: you got a form suggesting a name for your child? :shock:

Would you clarify this? What does it say exactly?

I'm just curious, as this seems to me to be a step too far in any so-called "nanny state".

Mark Base
Helsingblog
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Princess P
post 26.Aug.2008, 01:28 PM
Post #6

I wondered about that too but just assumed it was an error on the post. After all it couldn't really be true, could it? :shock:
+
voyager
post 26.Aug.2008, 01:44 PM
Post #7

when we had a baby in sweden we had to get a birth certificate from the british embassy.
+
Puffin
post 26.Aug.2008, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Yes but you can only do this after the birth is registered in Sweden and you have a copy of the personbevis issued by Skatteverket. This is merely an optional double registration available to British citizens - you can't do it without the Swedish certificate - it's just that the Swedish certificate looks more like a printout - however it contains pretty much the same information.
+
krzyz21
post 27.Aug.2008, 07:18 AM
Post #9

There is no birth certificate system in Sweden. (Our son is month old now) So I recommend you to get your birth certificate from embassy of your country of origin. You are a foreigner here then you will have to get visa as well for the baby. When you apply for your baby's passport, apply for birth certificate as well.
If you ask Swedish authorities, they will be totally clueless, so don't bother.
+
Puffin
post 27.Aug.2008, 07:37 AM
Post #10

Did you not understand the discussion above? A birth certificate is merely a paper that shows that you have registered the birth in a particular country - a registration certificate In Sweden is the personbevis and registration in Skatteverkets register

In Sweden this certificate from Skatteverket *is* regarded as a birth certificate - often countries have their own particular format - the UK certificate may be more elaborate but is does exactly the same job as the Swedish one

You can additionally register with your Embassy is you want - but you usually cannot do this until you have got the Swedish registration certificate - certainly the British Embassy required the person bevis from Skatteverket before they would register my children.
+
Jasoncarter
post 27.Aug.2008, 08:14 AM
Post #11

For added hilarity, however, try dealing with UK authorities who insist on seeing a birth or wedding certificate and refuse to accept that these things aren't issued over here. The lovely, useless, Lloyds bank are refusing to change my wife's name on her UK bank account because we can't provide a marriage certificate. Nevermind that we have sent every available bit of proof from Skatteverket showing change of name, proof of identity, a copy of her new passport plus letters from Skatteverket explaining that there is no such thing as a Swedish marriage certificate they STILL reply saying 'we cannot change a name without a marriage certificate'

I think I'm just going to knock one up in Indesign myself and send it to them. I bet it works.
+
Zshaikh
post 27.Aug.2008, 08:15 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Markbase With An Invisible Silent Q)
Congratulations!

I don't know the answer either, but something struck me as odd: you got a form suggesting a name for your child? :shock:

Helsingblog
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg

Sorry that was my mistake , it was a form with suggesting last name (took from the last name of my wife) and asked to fill in first (förenam). But someone told us that we can request different last name also (like if I want my last name to be with baby). I will fill out that form today with help of some swedish person and then may be can update you more it.
Thanks for help
shaikh
+
Donato Tagliano
post 27.Aug.2008, 04:41 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Zshaikh)
Sorry that was my mistake , it was a form with suggesting last name (took from the last name of my wife) and asked to fill in first (förenam). But someone told us that we can request different last name also (like if I want my last name to be with baby). I will fill out that form today with help of some swedish person and then may be can update you more it.

If you are not a Swedish Citizen yet, you may be required to apply for a passport from the embassy of your home country and then a residence permit for the baby from migrations board. Thats what one of my friend.
+
Puffin
post 27.Aug.2008, 05:00 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (I&m)
If you are not a Swedish Citizen yet, you may be required to apply for a passport from the embassy of your home country and then a residence permit for the baby from migrations board. Thats what one of my friend.

In Sweden the norm is for babies to automatically be given the mother's name if the parents do not have the same surname unless you inform them of a different name within 3 months.

If you are not married you will probably be required to fill out a paternity certificate - usually just a formality where you sign a form to say that the baby is yours - however if there is a dispute the kommun can order DNA testing
+
*Sandyclaws*
post 27.Aug.2008, 09:40 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (I&m)

Interesting ... my son takes over citizenship of the father, who is an EU citizen (and I am not). My son has rights in both countries, so no need to involve the Migrations board.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se