• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Closed Topic

DONT MOVE TO SWEDEN !

A tale of misery by an old poster (FROM 2008)

iloveamma
post 11.Sep.2008, 07:48 AM
Post #1

I came here with the starry wide-eyed dreams of a happy life with my Swedish hsuband.
Boy was I wrong...

This is coming from a college graduate, well-spoken attractive, blonde American woman who has found herself discriminated against in every potential job avenue.

I can't even IMAGINE if I wasn't a blonde American...Sweden is a political facade, making themselves out to be so open and tolerant of the rest of the world...but it is just that ...AN ILLUSION...once you get here, it is a TOTALLY different story...

I hope this post will save one person's life. I wish I would have found a post like mine before I came here...
..DON'T MOVE HERE...unless..
a) you are rich and can afford not to work
cool.gif Have someone who will support you fully when you get here (but that can't last too long, since it will ruin your relationship as it has happened to me)
c) You already got a job from your home country.
d) You are a highly trained professional, as in a doctor or therapist who plans to open their own business

If you do not fall into one of these three categories then DON'T MOVE HERE...you will find yourself in a miserable situation otherwise...
It is not worth losing your life and self esteem over...The truth is withouth a job...SWEDEN SUCKS. :cry:
Go to the top of the page
+
freezebtn
post 11.Sep.2008, 07:52 AM
Post #2

I bet you're fugly in reality, its just your American self confidence that makes you believe otherwise.
+
PageyGB
post 11.Sep.2008, 07:58 AM
Post #3

I'll follow up with "DO MOVE HERE"
Because I didn't find it too hard to get a job, or a place to live and my relationship with my Swede is great! I find things annoying sometimes and somethings bizarre, but it's not that bad!

I realise it can be hard to change countrys, cultures and find work, but, it's not moving to Iraq now is it?
Swedes are different but not THAT different.
What work were you looking for? I mean I stepped down a peg or two to get a job here but plan on working my way up quickly.
+
70sdreamer
post 11.Sep.2008, 07:58 AM
Post #4

Of course I feel for you, but is there a reason why this thread has been posted three times with the same content? :roll:
+
iloveamma
post 11.Sep.2008, 07:59 AM
Post #5

fugly?
hmm..not sure what that is...
It is people with a mentaility like yours which is why I LOVE america...we aren't as ignorant there about other races like the rest of the world is...
+
iloveamma
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:02 AM
Post #6

it was an accident...I tried to add something else...didn't know it was posting all that time...
besides...isn't there a moderator that is doing their job in deleting mulitple posts?
+
Dick Swinger
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:06 AM
Post #7

Time to go back to the land of the free* and the home of the brave then. Give that monkey of yours a pat on the head and a nice big banana from me when you get there.
+
freezebtn
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:07 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (iloveamma)
fugly?
hmm..not sure what that is...
It is people with a mentaility like yours which is why I LOVE america...we aren't as ignorant there about other races like the rest of the world is...

F'cking ugly.

So lets here it then, how were you descriminated against? You cant get a job even though you have a degree, oh lord thats crazy, you realise of course that even Masters degrees are become the standard.

Just dont buy that its impossible to get a job here routine. The only reason I can assume is your attitude and crappy CV.
+
iloveamma
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:09 AM
Post #9

It is unfortunate that people are not as educated in race and stereotyping and discrimination as we are in the US.
I was embarrassed to be an American, but after two years of being in Sweden...dealing with all of you uneducated people who discriminate...I am proud to say I am American. I am not proud of the government but I am proud of my background and expecially that I am not as ignorant as the rest of the world, and apparently as some of those on this board...

This was intended to help others...
But that didn't seem to work..
+
Dick Swinger
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Be honest now, before you thought of moving to Sweden could you have even pointed it out on a map?
+
Spr
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:15 AM
Post #11

Sounds like another case of an arogant American not able to cope outside her comfort zone. Get real and grow up.

Sweden is an amazing place to live, so it has a few problems...like America doesn't!!!! So you arrived here thinking you could walk into an amazing job as you have been to college and your American so everyone has to look up to you and think your really cool. You probably also had the arrogance to think that you were better than all the people that interviewed you. HELLO, your in another country, and another continent so obviously it will be harder to get jobs and you have to get used to a new culture. Anyone reading your initial post should delete it from memory.

It is sad for you and I understand why you are angry if your relationship broke up but can you honestly say that is the blame entirely falls on this country, and if you had not have moved here everything would have been fine... doubt it.
+
Mzungu
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:23 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Dick Swinger)
Be honest now, before you thought of moving to Sweden could you have even pointed it out on a map?

Couldn't have written a truer statement...

It's a case of who's fault is it that people come to Sweden,Sweden's NO,the silly buggers who don't carry out any research before dropping the knickers...

*bye bye*
+
Wes
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:36 AM
Post #13

Making it work in Sweden is all down to attitude!

If you have a bad one, DONT MOVE TO SWEDEN

If you are prepared to work at it and have a positive outlook on life, MOVE TO SWEDEN

I have been in Sweden for 4 and a half years the first 2 where hard and I couldn’t get a job at the same level I had held in England big surprise! Try getting a good job in the Great USA without speaking the English (not going to happen). Or should I say it makes it more of a challenge.

But I worked from my second week and have been employed all my time here, because I understood that if I was going to stay here nobody was going to give it to me on a plate.

Step 1 learn the language ( I understand this isn’t that easy but what is )
Step 2 Get any job (I drove a truck) Really helped my Swedish
Step 3 Apply to every job and don’t be afraid to take a lower paid or skilled position it is better to get something on your CV than a huge blank

It sounds simple, it isn’t but the Key is to be positive, if you think it will be as easy as back home well DONT MOVE TO SWEDEN
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:36 AM
Post #14

What I find amusing is that she's calling people in "the rest of the world" ignorant.

Well darling, as a British-Canadian with a mere high school diploma (and "some college"), I'm doing OK. After only a few years of living (and working here), I now have my own thriving copywriting/editing business (which has been going strong for eight months so far, and I have contracts for different jobs until at least May next year).

And I'm in two really fun cover bands. 8)

Life is what you make it.

If things didn't work out for you here, feel free to share, but it's very wrong of you to tell people that nobody can make something of a life here, just because you couldn't (or wouldn't).

This board has many, many examples of people who started in Sweden without much at all, and managed to really get somewhere here.

I hope those who read the OP's initial post actually read a bit further to hear some success stories.

Mark Base
Helsingblog
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
PageyGB
post 11.Sep.2008, 08:39 AM
Post #15

I can't get over the claim that Sweden discriminates against attractive blondes...
And that ALL Americans are well educated people who don't discriminate.
What a strange strange outlook.
I know a fair few Americans who love it here, including people of different colours (or colors if you prefer).
+

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed Topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options