• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >   Reply to this topic

Are Swedish men feminine?

jamesblish
post 9.Jan.2013, 02:05 PM
Post #226

I thought the LOL:iest part of the original post was when the guy mentioned facial features, bone structure etc. and then proceeded to "blame" this on equality. Somehow, in the 40-50 years during which women have begun getting something at least close to equal rights etc, the bone structure of the men has changed. Evolution works faster than we thought, I suppose. I love these threads though, flamewars or not.
Go to the top of the page
+
hopsan
post 9.Jan.2013, 07:29 PM
Post #227

QUOTE (Lars Porsenna @ 9.Jan.2013, 09:06 AM) *
Turn off the tv

QUOTE (jamesblish @ 9.Jan.2013, 01:05 PM) *
I thought the LOL:iest part of the original post was when the guy mentioned facial features, bone structure etc. and then proceeded to "blame" this on equality. Some ... (show full quote)

Lol at that! Also, as if the Swedish men even have soft facial features and bone structure etc! They are Vikings! With massive beards 'n' shit. I never saw this many beards in England. Most of my male friends at home can only grow a couple of whiskers!
+
djmarko
post 9.Jan.2013, 08:01 PM
Post #228

One thing for sure, Swedish guys do take care of themselves, always working out in gyms, both young and old, since i have been here, it has given me an extra drive to work out at least 3 times a week, nothing wrong in living healthy!!!
+
Somebody
post 9.Jan.2013, 08:12 PM
Post #229

I agree, fair play to you guys for working out and staying fit.
I must admit it impresses me a lot.
+
Migga
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:36 PM
Post #230

What? Aren`t you all supposed to say that the swedish men are vain like women because they work out? Come on I know you have it in you.
+
byke
post 9.Jan.2013, 09:48 PM
Post #231

http://nonrhotic.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/...e-to-pussytown/
+
Somebody
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:42 PM
Post #232

that makes sense now.
These guys are feminine and that's why Swedish ladies go abroad hunting for husbands.
They miss real men and have only ex-Vikings with a make-up.
That's what I do not get. Vikings, once strong and unbeatable have transfered into pussy whipped fellas.
and they have the newest Iphone instead of a sword wink.gif

or maybe it is just cool to have a man froam abroad.

BTW, I will never get why once they find Mr Right abroad and manage to settle him ,they make him to co me to Sweden
It is much easier to stay e.g. in Australia:
- she might get a job easier that Ozzy guys here
- no language barrier for her
- much easier for a Swede to live in US, Oz, etc than other way around

This is just not fair. The men who come here often have to give up their career and spend
a long years to learn Swedish. And if they unlucky and can't get any job for a while
they might be told to go back home as they would not support them ohmy.gif

Where is a sense and fairness in that???
+
hopsan
post 9.Jan.2013, 10:56 PM
Post #233

I doubt that is always the case! Also I am pretty sure if that happens that the man has agreed to live in Sweden. My mother is Swedish and my father English. They met in Denmark then lived in Sweden for six years before moving to England in 1990, and they are still there now. So not every man is forced to live in Sweden!

Also, I respect how healthy people are here when it comes to sport and working out. It has hugely motivated me. I never used to do any exercise in England. Now I walk a lot, skate a lot and go to the gym. In summer I swim and cycle. I think they are almost too healthy at times though, when it comes to alcohol etc. Too sensible! Nothing wrong with wine in the week!
+
Somebody
post 9.Jan.2013, 11:12 PM
Post #234

ohh yes, but they exaggerate with this working out..they like Energizer Bunnies
It actually does not motivate me at all, but I have a lot of fun when I see them cycling in -20 and snow storm smile.gif

I would live with everything but lack of spontaneity and planning everything is just a killer.
thats why they do not drink wine on Wednesday..maybe they have to plan it 3 weeks befor eand have a formal meeting about it

But I do not believe it's fully truth. I have seen my Swedish neigbours during summer drinking beer and wine nearly everyday.
They do drink a lot. Just do not talk about it. Go to Systemet on Friday after work
+
MassiveAttack
post 10.Jan.2013, 11:17 AM
Post #235

I thought Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the only Swede, who is strong...
+
Migga
post 10.Jan.2013, 01:59 PM
Post #236

Apperently Magnus Samuelsson is a strong swedish man. Strange, I didn`t think they existed given all these posts;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=hDrijM0H_Uc#!
+
byke
post 10.Jan.2013, 02:22 PM
Post #237

Masculinity isnt trait exclusively held by body strength.
If that was the case, many of the poofs in the local gym who are super camp would be classed as masculine.
+
Migga
post 10.Jan.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #238

QUOTE (byke @ 10.Jan.2013, 02:22 PM) *
Masculinity isnt trait exclusively held by body strength. If that was the case, many of the poofs in the local gym who are super camp would be classed as masculine.

So there is more then meets the eye? Could that be applied to Swedes aswell?
+
OlafKnute@aol.com
post 10.Jan.2013, 06:29 PM
Post #239

What exactly is masculine/feminine keeps coming up, with assorted answers, as the answer is subjective. Let me suggest a few examples. Among lions, as with most animals, the gender rolls are clearer and less changing than among humans. Lady lions do the hunting, which for predator animals, is the human equivalent of having a job to support the family. Male lions lay around and mostly look majestic and threatening and occasionally actually act threatening to a roving hyena or rival lion. I've never heard anyone accuse male lions of being 'feminine'. According to the the lionistic definition of masculinity, translated into the modern Swedish urban setting, a real man is one who keeps his main (I mean hair) full and well combed, works out, squashes the spiders, catches the mice and poisons the cockroaches and defends the boarders against foreign invasion and roaming single men and impregnates the females but does not necessarily hold down a job.

Going back in history, for ancient Jews as a single example, being the man of the household meant making the decisions while being respectful of the wife(s). This was accompanied by a social tradition of older men marrying younger woman, where, other things being equal, and older person would be expected to be wiser and able to make better decisions. Even back then, an exceptional woman would come along every once in a while and other things not being equal, she would be the one making better decisions. Today, with marriage largely messed up and many people getting together with some one of about the same age, gender differences have nothing to do with age differences and thus have little to do with who can make better decisions.

Those who claim that men should be making the decisions in the family, and be the provider, (another carry over from when men were older than wives and inherited the farm and the farm was the primary way to make a living) just do not understand that the historical background for such social order was based on the significant age difference between husbands and wives and that more experience and not masculinity was the basis of the custom.

I know several women who are smarter then their husbands, and the wives know it. Still, the social custom is that on average, men are a bit older than the women they marry, giving them an initial edge in the experience to make family decisions. After 50 years, this difference wears thin, by then, the men are too old to care!
+
Sun67
post 18.Jan.2013, 01:35 PM
Post #240

What I mean by feminine features are weak jaw, light bone structure, smooth skin, small nose, thick and possibly

Weak jaw? Hmm...not in my experience. My bloke has got the squarest jaw I have ever seen. There is nothing remotely effeminate/feminine about him. I can't recall ever seeing a Swede and thinking he was very feminine. Yes, they are handsome, but not in a girly way. They are, however, very clued up about equality and don't have the ridiculous stereotypes we have in the UK - men go out to work, pounding their chest as they go and the little woman stays at home cooking his tea. I like that about the Swedes - I loved that my man was more than happy and willing to take equal time off work to look after our babies (and still did after our return to the UK, despite facing criticism and bewilderment from Brits who thought it was weird).
+

17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options