• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Can i get swedish citizenship without speaking swedish?

faithfulguy
post 13.Oct.2008, 10:18 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I am on the verge of making a decision to move and take a job offer in sweden. I am from a third country(outside EU).

My question is, can i get swedish citizenship without swedish or at what level(oral or written) of swedish do i need to have, after living here 5 yrs , to get a swedish citizenship. Is speaking the language a better sign if integration? i don't think so! There are other factors, i may assume.

My concern is whether i have the energy or passion to learn another language at this stage of my life.

Someone had any experiences? Please your contributions will help
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.Oct.2008, 10:44 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (faithfulguy)
Is speaking the language a better sign if integration? i don't think so! There are other factors, i may assume.

Wow, you must be kidding! Language is the no 1 sign of integration, and without excellent command of the Swedish language you will have big difficulties in Sweden (discrimination, no jobs, etc, etc).

There is no language test to gain citizenship (yet), but if you intend to stay here I highly suggest that you learn the language, for your own sake.
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 13.Oct.2008, 11:21 PM
Post #3

LOL. Swedish will surely perish if they don't change their immigration policies.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.Oct.2008, 11:35 PM
Post #4

Bollocks...
+
Marmi
post 13.Oct.2008, 11:57 PM
Post #5

I don't think a work visa counts towards Citizenship.

I know of an American national who held a Swedish work visa for over 10 years, but was denied Citizenship.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 14.Oct.2008, 12:01 AM
Post #6

Only permanent residency counts, i.e. not work or student visa.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 14.Oct.2008, 12:19 AM
Post #7

This thread has to be a joke. You want to become a citizen of somewhere but you can't even bothered to learn the bloody language? I so would want/expect that to be a requirement for gaining citizenship. How much commitment to this country do you have?
+
cleo_ro
post 14.Oct.2008, 07:06 AM
Post #8

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+
faithfulguy
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:09 AM
Post #9

I don't believe learning the language necessarily makes one a swedish.

If i stay in my third country and learn french or swedish, does it make me a french or swede? Absoluteley no way.

There are a alot of people who have remained in my country who have a learned a second language(mostly through college) but their thinking and culture is the same. Most of these folks have not even travelled to country whose language they are studying.Do you tell me these folks are better integrated than those who lived in another country but cannot speak their language.

Most of you sometimes forget that swedes are able to speak english because its part of their curriculla and they have been studying it for years. It is better to learn a language as a kid. How do you expect a 35 year old( with so many responsibilities and enegagements) to learn a language in 5 years?

Anyone has an explanation or a contribution to what i asked: can i get a swedish citizenship without speaking the language? anyone has any experience? how did it go?
+
Puffin
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:14 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (faithfulguy)
Hi,

I am on the verge of making a decision to move and take a job offer in sweden. I am from a third country(outside EU).

My question is, can i get swedish citizenship without swedish or at what level(oral or written) of swedish do i need to have, after living here 5 yrs , to get a swedish citizenship. Is speaking the language a better sign if integration? i don't think so! There are other factors, i may assume.

My concern is whether i have the energy or passion to learn another language at this stage of my life.

Someone had any experiences? Please your contributions will help

There is currently no requirement to speak Swedish for citizenship - although Folkpartiet are keen to introduce such a requirement.

I think that speaking the language is probably one of the bests signs of intergration - as there is so much that you simply can't do if you are dependent on other interpreting for you.

Are you very old then? There was a woman in her 70s at komvux at the same time as me who successfully passed SFI, SAS grund and gymnasiet Svenska A & B
+
Puffin
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:17 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (faithfulguy)
I don't believe learning the language necessarily makes one a swedish.

If i stay in my third country and learn french or swedish, does it make me a french or swede? Absoluteley no way.

There are a alot of people who have remained in my country who have a learned a second language(mostly through college) but their thinking and culture is the same. Most of these folks have not even travelled to country whose language they are studying.Do you tell me these folks are better integrated than those who lived in another country but cannot speak their language.

Most of you sometimes forget that swedes are able to speak english because its part of their curriculla and they have been studying it for years. It is better to learn a language as a kid. How do you expect a 35 year old( with so many responsibilities and enegagements) to learn a language in 5 years?

Anyone has an explanation or a contribution to what i asked: can i get a swedish citizenship without speaking the language? anyone has any experience? how did it go?

35 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!- don't make me laugh - I was feeling a little sympathetic as I assumed that you were in your 60s or 70s when you referred to being old. Nearly all of the people in my SFI class of 25 people were over the age of 30 - many were in their 40s and 50s and even 60s.

There are always evening and weekend classes

I learned Swedish up to University entrance level between the ages of 37-39
8)
+
Craptastical
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:23 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez)
Only permanent residency counts, i.e. not work or student visa.

It's odd that work permits that last that long don't count toward citizenship. Isn't that the type of immigrant Sweden should covet (the kind that has a job, isn't reliant on the system to support them etc.)

Full disclosure: I am on a long term work permit as well
+
faithfulguy
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:23 AM
Post #13

you guys are ignoring the arguments i raised in my last post.

Puffin what were you doing at that time? working or full time studies?

I believe in five years i will be able to read and write very i have a good honours university degree with significant years of international working experience, but my concern is speaking the language(i mean orally)
+
Puffin
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:29 AM
Post #14

Most people find the speaking part much easier than the writing bit and mastering the grammr rules

If you are thinking of taking a degree in Swedish you will need to be able to speak as oral ability is examined at both high school level and many seminars are examined at university level.

I have taken a degree here in Sweden and am currently teaching at university level in Swedish and English as well as writing a PhD thesis
+
post 14.Oct.2008, 08:33 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (faithfulguy)
my concern is speaking the language(i mean orally)

that normally comes first when immersed in a culture and its language, hence the notion of integration.

my life is 90% in english. it is my bread and butter and pays the bills. however, my social life, while also largely influenced and even with some people exclusively in english, would be only a shadow of what it is were i not fluent in swedish. and by fluent, i'm only speaking of speaking. i nearly never write in swedish as i know everyone can read english and no one ever seems to mind reading english if they can speak and write back in swedish .

so no. for citizenship there's no test. but i can't find any viable argument to support an ability to integrate into a society without a proficiency in the local language.
+

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN