• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

english speaking jobs?

mankey
post 6.Nov.2008, 01:11 PM
Post #1

Goddag! It seems like it's really not easy to land a lay job in Sweden... I recently moved from Germany over here to Göteborg. I was wondering if anyone know a place/website to go to that offers jobs in English? I'm 23 years old, have a driver's license and can communicate in German, also I'm getting my permit as an EU some time this week, I'm not really looking for anything fancy just a decent pay job, could be at a farm, warehouse or whatever really. Appreciate any feedbacks! Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Mo
post 6.Nov.2008, 01:19 PM
Post #2

click on the jobs menu top right

or try

http://platsbanken.arbetsformedlingen.se/S...tart/Start.aspx
+
Forsman13
post 6.Nov.2008, 04:18 PM
Post #3

I will be moving there also. I am so scared I won’t find a job when we move there. My husband is Swedish and we are planning on moving to Sweden so he can do research at Chalmers University. I am pretty sure he gets paid to do the research I just don’t think it’s enough to support a family. I have a wonderful job in America right now and I support my family with it. Do you know if it’s easy to find Bank jobs? I work in the fraud department doing check fraud, money laundering, kiting, basically anything to do with fraud. I love it! I am just so worried that I will be without a job forever and we live a pretty good life here with cars and house and we have plenty of spending money. I guess I have two questions 1. does the University pay well enough to live off of? 2. Is it hard to get bank jobs?
+
PrinceKnight
post 6.Nov.2008, 04:22 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (mankey)
Goddag! It seems like it's really not easy to land a lay job in Sweden... I recently moved from Germany over here to Göteborg. I was wondering if anyone know a place/website to go to that offers jobs in English? I'm 23 years old, have a driver's license and can communicate in German, also I'm getting my permit as an EU some time this week, I'm not really looking for anything fancy just a decent pay job, could be at a farm, warehouse or whatever really. Appreciate any feedbacks! Thanks

Why on earth would you leave Germany, where the unemployment rate is currently at a 16 year low (plenty of jobs there), to look for a job in Sweden, where times are much tougher?
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 6.Nov.2008, 04:31 PM
Post #5

hahah it's not hard to land a "lay job" at all smile.gif
+
mankey
post 6.Nov.2008, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Why on earth would you leave Germany, where the unemployment rate is currently at a 16 year low (plenty of jobs there), to look for a job in Sweden, where times are much tougher?[/quote]

My woman. That's one reason I moved here, and Germany sucks in my view, 3 years there was more than enough for me =) Tho I didn't know that was the current situation. Oh wells sooner or later I'll find something for sure.
+
Averagejoe26
post 7.Nov.2008, 01:19 AM
Post #7

Forsman13:

I am at Chalmers right now and I lived in US for two years for my BS.

Trust me, just stay put in US, you will be better off. (this is just my opinion, your reality with health care and children education may be different)
+
Puffin
post 7.Nov.2008, 02:18 AM
Post #8

There is also the Jobs in Stockholm recruitment agency for English speaking jobs (also advertising jobs in other parts of Sweden)
http://www.jobsinstockholm.com/

Although i note that the "company that cannot be named" also recruits here
+
mankey
post 7.Nov.2008, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Thanks... Don't think I'll be moving from Göteborg tho.
+
Forsman13
post 7.Nov.2008, 03:23 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Averagejoe26)
Forsman13:

I am at Chalmers right now and I lived in US for two years for my BS.

Trust me, just stay put in US, you will be better off. (this is just my opinion, your reality with health care and children education may be different)

Better off in what ways? I totally clueless when it comes to other countries, I have lived in Utah my whole life never traveled much. Do you like Chalmers? I was thinking it was a little extreme to just sell our house and start over in another country. My husband just has it in his mind we will be better off in Sweden. He hasn’t been to Sweden since he was young and I think he just has such great memories, but everything is great when you’re young. He could get free school here too; because once you’re in the PhD studies here they pay him to do the research. We just want to start a family and I want to stay home and he thinks it’s impossible to have a family and do his PhD because he doesn’t want to have to work. So really will he even get paid that much doing research at Chalmers? Is the grass greener on the other side?  Thanks for comments!
+
Keithy
post 7.Nov.2008, 03:57 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Forsman13)

Better off in what ways? I totally clueless when it comes to other countries, I have lived in Utah my whole life never traveled much. Do you like Chalmers? I was thinking it was a little extreme to just sell our house and start over in another country. My husband just has it in his mind we will be better off in Sweden. He hasn’t been to Sweden since he was young and I think he just has such great memories, but everything is great when you’re young. He could get free school here too; because once you’re in the PhD studies here they pay him to do the research. We just want to start a family and I want to stay home and he thinks it’s impossible to have a family and do his PhD because he doesn’t want to have to work. So really will he even get paid that much doing research at Chalmers? Is the grass greener on the other side?  Thanks for comments!

It seems to me that your husband should have the answers to these questions before selling the house and moving you to Sweden. I would suggest that, before you get these answers from him, you refuse to budge.

With regards to bank jobs, forget it. ANY job is difficult to get here if you don't speak Swedish. Even if you do (which will probably take 2-3 years), there will be a very limited choice of 'good' jobs open to you if you aren't Swedish.

With so little information about your circumstances, it's really impossible to answer the question about where the grass is greener.
+
Puffin
post 7.Nov.2008, 11:07 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Forsman13)

If you are accepted as a PhD student you will definitely get a salary while you study - it depends on the programme where you are accepted how the salary would look. Some places have you on stipends for the first year or 2 (these can be pretty low - like 13,000-15,000 kronor/month) whereas others make you a full grad student at once. The salary again depends on your field - but once you are accepted as a full post grad student the amount is reasonable - like an average Swedish salary. According to the SACO (Union) website - once you move onto the grad student scale the salary is around 21,000-25,000 kronor/month.

It may be difficult to combine PhD studies with other types of work - especially if it is a lab based PhD as they seem to have less flexibility to work off site and at odd hours compared to some other disciplines - also some departments also expect you to be available for work in the department - teaching undergrad courses, supervising bachelor/masters dissertations and other admin tasks.

It may be difficult to manage on a single salary with a family - although I have known PhD students who have done this with non-working spouses - you have to be prepapred to live a "student type" lifestyle. However it is fairly common for PhD students to have families and also take their paid parental leave that pays 80% of salry to stay home for up to 1 year - you would also be entitled to several months of payments to be an at home mom.

One of the greatest problems can be accepted for PhD studies - the system in Sweden attracts applicants from all over the world and it is not uncommon for 30-50 peaople to apply for each place on the PhD programme.

It is not necessary to be able to speak Swedish to work in the University sector. Some departments tend to speak English
+
krishnochura
post 11.Nov.2008, 03:08 AM
Post #13

I worked in Sweden for a while. The job industry is COOL!!!! But getting job is hard and you will have to face some unpleasant obstacles! really unpleasant.

Let me ask you a question, , are you looking for a job in Sweden and you are from Germany? Wonderful world!
+
Catherine_Burr
post 17.Aug.2011, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Hello,

I am an architecture graduate and have recently moved to Stockholm. I would gladly offer conversational practice in English if this is something you and your partner are still looking for?

I am a native English speaker, although I do not have have any formal teacher training, I hope that I may be able to help.

Please contact me if you are still interested.
+
cattie
post 17.Aug.2011, 03:15 PM
Post #15

The grass is only greener in Sweden because they get more rain and snow.

My husband is Swedish and we used to live in California, he got the same way your husband is, they all have a homing beacon. We should have listened closer to the Swedish national song before we got married. The last line translated is "I want to live and I want to die in Norden." We now live in Sweden.

In Sweden, it may be many years before YOU will compete for anything close to job in the USA . Foreign women who do not speak Swedish are not all that competitive in this tough job market. You may need to change career. As far as you getting parental leave, the amount paid for that leave is based on your pre-motherhood salary IN SWEDEN. You must pay into the system first. If you do not find work in Sweden and become a mother, you will will receive a basic amount of maternity leave. I think it is about 350 SEK a day. Medical care is not free there are rather high co-payments before you reach the annual deductible for doctor's visits and another annual deductible for pharmacy also dental and vision.

My husband now has what is considered a very decent salary in Sweden. However, with a tax rate at 42% his net take home pay in Sweden is the about same as his net take home pay in California was in 2008. Then he worked at a much easier and lower level job (and had lower pre-tax salary) This is comparing Net take home the pay AFTER health insurance and 401K deductions.

So the result is our his salary seems bigger but it is smaller. My salary is much much smaller. Our apartment is much much smaller. Our food bill is much much larger. Our expenses for clothing, transportation, entertainments and children's toys are more. On the bright side, because we live much more simply, we are leaving less of carbon footprint. But that is only because gas and automobile costs so much more. Housing costs may be similar to Utah although a bit less than California.

You need to do a line by line comparison if you want to see if you disposable income will be more at the end of the year. Opportunity costs for you and him over the lifetime need to be considered, also. This is 2011, a great job is not easy to find anywhere. Read the Financial Times, or even try to translate the Swedish Dagens Industri.They have fired so many bank employees in Europe in the current crisis. My bro-in-law works for a bank, his job is secure but that is partly because he has had it for a dozen years.

Enjoying Life is another question altogether and is NOT OBJECTIVE. You know your husband. Does he have rose-colored glasses on? Is he just restless? Will blame you if you hold him back from this opportunity? Or is he just longing to go back to something (his youth) that is not really there, anymore? Be sensitive. You have no idea (I do) how hard it is to really leave your homeland behind. One or the other of you will have to make that sacrifice, if he is already settled in the USA with friends and opportunities, than moving to Sweden may be more of challenge to your marriage than either of you could bargain for. Add becoming parents, being underemployed, and the challenge of acculturating well, it is good to do some research... before putting in your notice on a job you love.

Maybe read some of the other discussions on this board about non-swede/swede relationships in Sweden. Swedes can be different in Sweden than when living aboard, more conforming or something.

Last note, my husband now wishes he had tried harder to get a another job in California despite the recession, he had that nostalgia for Sverige. He wants to move back to USA. It is a bit of problem to look for a job in California from Sweden, though.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com