• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Interpol.

7/1
post 7.Dec.2008, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Is it the job of the interpol to catch people who took loan from USA and ran away to an other country without paying back ?.
Go to the top of the page
+
BillyB
post 7.Dec.2008, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Kind off...

Interpol are not actually ever out and about chasing people and making arrests, they are all about information and tracking, and are a link between police in different countries.
the info they have is then passed to the local law enforcement agency

So in the scenario you mention US law enforcement would contact interpol with your details, eventually when you pop up on the grid somewhere else the local police will nab you.
+
7/1
post 7.Dec.2008, 09:03 PM
Post #3

I know 2 persons who did it from almost 7 years and still living in a luxury way and Interpol did nothing till now.
+
BillyB
post 7.Dec.2008, 09:08 PM
Post #4

well depends on a few factors.
They only act when asked to. If the US police didnt report it the them or ask for their help nothing would happen.

Majority of cases dont go to interpol, its normally the more serious ones.

Then it depends on the countries involved, you could be in a coutry that is not part of interpol or doesnt have any extradition treaty with the US in which case there is no point doing anything.
+
7/1
post 7.Dec.2008, 09:10 PM
Post #5

Is it possible that the banks there did not report these 2 persons for taking about 250 000 usd or maybe more and not paying interest or paying the money back ?
+
BillyB
post 7.Dec.2008, 09:17 PM
Post #6

im sure the banks reported it but that doesnt mean interpol were involved.

the police very rarely report crime to interpol.

Most of interpols work is large operations covering many countries, drug cases, terrorism things like that.

In cases like the money one you mention they would only go to interpol when they knew the person had left the country.
And even then it doesnt mean they go out and actively search for the people, unless they knew where they were in which case it gets handed to local police.

In most cases of this small scale, its logged until eventually the persons name pops up for some other reason and they pass the info on to the police
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 7.Dec.2008, 09:38 PM
Post #7

I doubt they would report it to interpol, they are busy chasing drug dealers and the like. Even so, Interpol can't do anything but share information to local police that do the arrests. Interpol has no jurisdiction to arrest anybody in any country.

Anyhow, just don't try to come back to the USA, you'll be nabbed for sure if you are in the system.

That having been said, sooner or later things will always catch up with you.
+
Furu
post 9.Dec.2008, 08:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (7/1)
Is it the job of the interpol to catch people who took loan from USA and ran away to an other country without paying back ?.

owning money from one party to another is a civil matter. conflict between two parties.

I had a problem with a computer dealer and he did not paid me back. This is what I was told

" this is a problem between you and the dealer " it is a civil matter, you can go to court and we cannot arrest anyone for that reason. If someone cannot pay their debt, it is not a crime.

criminal matter is when it is something you vs the state as mentioned in other post, crimes like terrorism, drugs and serious criminal offenses.

now there is something like corporate crime such as Enron, when you stealing public money in terms of fraud and if the states decides to take the case over then they can lay charges such as criminal.

e.g. In canada owing money to bank is a civil matter and both parties can go to court, but owning money to Tax department is considered a criminal matter.

this is what i think, but I may be wrong.
+
7/1
post 15.Dec.2008, 07:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Shark99 - Itchy Gruyn)
I doubt they would report it to interpol, they are busy chasing drug dealers and the like. Even so, Interpol can't do anything but share information to local police that do the arrests. Interpol has no jurisdiction to arrest anybody in any country.

Anyhow, just don't try to come back to the USA, you'll be nabbed for sure if you are in the system.

That having been said, sooner or later things will always catch up with you.

A guy just took a lot of money by loans from USA banks and came to Sweden and he did not pay back the loans or the interest because he said that after 7 years his his name will be clean again in the USA and he can then go back there with his money.
Is this true ??.
+
post 15.Dec.2008, 07:08 PM
Post #10

I have no idea. He might not be criminally prosecuted, but he might not be free from the credit reporting agencies, and will have a hard time getting loans, or things like that. The IRS might also want an account of what he's been up to since living abroad. All US citizens and resident aliens are required to declare their taxes while living abroad, even if they are not working for a US company or are not residents of the United States anymore. It's really strange that people who live abroad, and work abroad, are still required to pay taxes in the US, but then again, you pay for those US Marines that come rescue you when the embassy collapses smile.gif
+
7/1
post 15.Dec.2008, 07:44 PM
Post #11

Do not think that he needs to take loans anymore because he just hit the 1000 000 usd.lol.
So i think he will go back to the US.
+
post 15.Dec.2008, 08:48 PM
Post #12

So is he going to come back to the US and put a million dollars in a bank? That's not suspicious at all.

Your friend sounds like the real deal.
+
7/1
post 15.Dec.2008, 09:02 PM
Post #13

He is not my friend .
Not in banks but maybe open a company or something.
+
Furu
post 15.Dec.2008, 11:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (7/1)
A guy just took a lot of money by loans from USA banks and came to Sweden and he did not pay back the loans or the interest because he said that after 7 years his his name will be clean again in the USA and he can then go back there with his money.
Is this true ??.

correct, all inquiries after 3 years and all bad debts after 7 years need to be purged from credit file.

if you declare bankruptcy they stay there for 7 - 14 years. so it is sometimes better to leave for a while and come back.

he wont be able to borrow from same bank he defaulted because they will still have him in their personal file but other lenders wont be able to see because his credit file would have been cleared.
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 16.Dec.2008, 12:15 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (7/1)
Is this true ??.

The guy is referring to the Statute of Limitations.

Copies and pasted from elsewhere:

Why should you care about the Statute of Limitations (SOL)?
Every day, consumers pay off collection accounts and charge-offs which they do not have to pay off because the Statute of Limitations has already expired for the open account. Consumers pay off these accounts because the accounts still appear on their credit reports.

This information can be a powerful weapon in unburdening yourself of old debts, as creditors have a limited time in which to sue you. Remember: the Statute of Limitations begins to run from the day the debt - or payment on an open-ended account - was due. Also, this has nothing to do with how long an negative credit item can remain on your credit report. To view these credit reporting rules, click here.

Consumers also pay off these accounts when they are not on their credit reports. Even though an account was removed from their credit file, a collector watched their credit report for any activity (actually the computer was watching any credit activity). When the collector spotted the activity, he called the consumer for payment. All the consumer needed to say to the collector was, "I have an absolute defense--the Statute of Limitations has expired."

The Statute of Limitations does not cause your debt to go away after it expires. If the creditor files suit, the consumer has an absolute defense. The consumer must offer the new evidence to avoid a judgement. The evidence will consist of papers the consumer files to support his claim. If the creditor sues you, and you do not prove to the court that the Statute of Limitations expired, you will have a lost lawsuit and a judgment against you.

When does the Statute of Limitations start?

You might be asking yourself, "It has been such a long time since my "open account" has had any activity. When does my Statute of Limitations started ticking." The statute of limitations (SOL) is calculated by:

Take the date you last made a payment and add 6 months to this date.
Add the number of years of the statute of limitations in your state.

Example:
You last stopped paying on a credit card on Jan 15, 2001. The statute of limitations for credit cards (usually regarded as open accounts) in your state is 6 years.

The date at which you are "safe" from having a creditor sue you over this debt is:

Jan 15, 2001 + 6 months = July 15, 2001.
6 Years + July 15, 2001 = July 15, 2007

Therefore, a creditor cannot sue you for this debt after July 15, 2007.

Depending on what state you live in, if you make a partial payment, you could be postponing the Statute of Limitations' taking effect on your collection account or charge-off. A collector might call you one day and say you waived your rights when you made a deal with the collection agency. Do not take anything a collector tells you for granted. Make them prove it to you, in or out of court. For about half the population, the Statute of Limitations started ticking the day they made the last payment for their account

I am not an attorney but just play one on the www. tongue.gif
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com