• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

How do you greet people?

Roowhip
post 12.Feb.2006, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Here in sweden I have noticed that on social occasions, people will often greet you with a hug which I find a little bit strange..almost uncomfortable (unless I know the person well) especially for a a culture that finds it difficult to express emotion otherwise andfor example at work, certain people don't bother to greet you at all when they rock-in. I have just started reading Marian Keyes "Last Chance Saloon" and she writes about 3 Irish friends in their 30's in London and how they greet all their other friends with a kiss on the cheek (as Londoners do..(is this true???) but the 3 old friends can't greet each other that way..being bought up more like myself (the layed back Aussie style). It reminds me when my mother was dating a Bosnian guy (in her long list or men) and one Christmas I arrived and sat down and the guy turned to me and said " why don't you hug your brother" (you have got to imagine the accent..) and my husband quotes me my response to this day which was "we don't show affection in this house"...
Does anyone else find this strange..I mean if I was in France, I wouldn't find it strange to kiss or hug on greeting as they are so expressive (I loved how this guy almost looked and sounded like he was going to kill me when I ran over his foot..ever so slightly with my rolly bag in Paris last year..quite refreshing actually) .And do Londoners really kiss both cheeks on greeting...
puss och kram
from a confused colonial turkey biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
*Littlefair*
post 12.Feb.2006, 04:34 PM
Post #2

/me gives Andersson a massive hug. :twisted:
+
Roowhip
post 12.Feb.2006, 04:35 PM
Post #3

now Littlefair..WE have already discussed how we would greet one another laugh.gif
+
*Littlefair*
post 12.Feb.2006, 04:37 PM
Post #4

yes but if I had wrote that on here I would have
1. been banned
2. had to pass round smelling salts for all the people who fainted
3. had to think of funny code words like didgeriedoo
:twisted:
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 12.Feb.2006, 04:40 PM
Post #5

I never hug people when I greet them, I only say hi 8)
+
*Carol*
post 12.Feb.2006, 05:59 PM
Post #6

In Holland, they kiss three times, which can be a bit much if you aren't all that into them. I mean, you are breathing them in by the third kiss. As a Californian, I am used to the hugging greeting, but of course there aren't rules about it, and they are usually briefer than the 3 kiss ritual. Where I come from, in certain circles you hug, and in others you don't. In Holland, in mixed groups, with Dutch and Americans, sometimes we Americans weren't so big on the obligatory three kisses on departing an extremely laid back affair...I guess not having been raised in tram culture, we believed we would live to see them another day...In any case, I invented saying "3DK" by way of arrival or departure when it felt right. It took off in my circle. 3DK was short for "Three Dutch Kisses." Maybe you could use some variant with your expat friends in Sweden, and then just hold your breath and feel your colonial roots until it feels natural to hug the Swedes. It is a dilemma. At least you as an Aussie didn't also have to deal with feeling like a freak at a social event if you held your fork the way it was most natural to you.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:10 PM
Post #7

It depends on who it is.
I might just say hi, might shake hands, might give a little hug, or might simply say, "fancy a quickie?". Again, it depends.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Dakyras
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:12 PM
Post #8

But Markbase. Those types of greetings can be stupid and dangerous :shock:

:wink:
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:13 PM
Post #9

...and once again:
Depends on who it is. :wink:

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net -
for observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Roowhip
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:17 PM
Post #10

In Holland, they kiss three times, which can be a bit much if you aren't all that into them. I mean, you are breathing them in by the third kiss. As a Californian, I am used to the hugging greeting, but of course there aren't rules about it, and they are usually briefer than the 3 kiss ritual. Where I come from, in certain circles you hug, and in others you don't. In Holland, in mixed groups, with Dutch and Americans, sometimes we Americans weren't so big on the obligatory three kisses on departing an extremely laid back affair...I guess not having been raised in tram culture, we believed we would live to see them another day...In any case, I invented saying "3DK" by way of arrival or departure when it felt right. It took off in my circle. 3DK was short for "Three Dutch Kisses." Maybe you could use some variant with your expat friends in Sweden, and then just hold your breath and feel your colonial roots until it feels natural to hug the Swedes. It is a dilemma. At least you as an Aussie didn't also have to deal with feeling like a freak at a social event if you held your fork the way it was most natural to you.

lol..I had a friend and his family visit from Holland last summer and they certainly hold to their 3DK ritual. However I quite liked it (nothing to do with the fact he is a bit of a hottie) but the fact that he said before hand "this is how we do it in holland" so there was no confusion. What confuses me here though is that if you go to a party (especially a party with work colleagues who barely greet you at work)..what's with the sudden hugging??
Carol..what is the deal with forks..how do you hold them in Calafornia?? :?
+
*Paul Smith*
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:41 PM
Post #11

You got to put your finger down the shaft, hehe, rather than holding them like a pencil or holding them like a baseball bat, or, the Aussie's favourite, not holding them and eating with your fingers :-P
+
*Mogli 12*
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Londoner's greet with a kiss to the cheek? Not generally.You'd only do this if you were greeting a close family member ( but not always) or someone you've known for a very long time eg lifelong friends. Or if you're extremely pretentious then it's an air kiss 'dahling'.
+
*Mark Boy*
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Pending on my mood is how I meet and greet people. I would consider myself honest, upfront and genuine and if I am in a ''confident mood'' I would be very expressive with hugs, kisses and even flirty gestures BUT if I am feeling under the weather or a little down then that is easily detected by my attitute, I would be quiet, no eye contact. I have even walked in opposite directions if I am not in the mood to chat to ''on coming'' friends...

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1386.gif[/img]
+
*Paul Smith*
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:51 PM
Post #14

who'd ever want to chat to a fiend? hehe
+
*Mark Boy*
post 12.Feb.2006, 06:57 PM
Post #15

laugh.gif I am not amused! laugh.gif

[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1386.gif[/img]
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se