• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

What are the gun laws in Sweden?

Eric Cantona
post 6.Jan.2009, 08:31 PM
Post #1

Was just wondering... for a friend.. as a hobby

I'm under the impression it's rather lax, with the vastness of the countryside and hunting elements etc.

Are there gun clubs etc to get proper training? Thinking around Stockholm area.

Thanks in advance (on behalf of my friend)
Go to the top of the page
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 6.Jan.2009, 08:42 PM
Post #2

There are some threads existing regarding this topic. Please engage "Search Discussions".
+
ShaunD
post 6.Jan.2009, 09:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Eric Cantona)

I'm under the impression it's rather lax, with the vastness of the countryside and hunting elements etc.

As a member of the pistol club here in Hedemora I can hopefully help you out here !

The law's are not that lax I found when I first started.

Firstly you have to be a member of a gun club, I know of one called www.thetarget.se in Stockholm. When you join the club, in order for your first licence you must attend a new beginners course. Mine was once a week for 10 weeks, after which, you must continue to be an active member of the club for a further 6 months. After this time you can purchase your first (in my case) pistol which can only be in caliber .22lr and your club must give you a paper to approve you when you apply at the police.
If you get bitten by the bug like I have, then you have to wait a further 6 months in order to purchase another pistol in a different caliber. After this you can purchase more with your clubs approval with no time limit but the police can and could ask why if you want to get more in a short time frame.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot, in order to be granted a licence you must have an approved gun safe, which must be a minimum weight and/or bolted solid to the wall/floor. You need to fill in your safe details on the weapon application.

I love the sport and am competing for my club in competitions this summer now !
Since I started I now have the following pistols
High Standard Sharpshooter Cal .22lr
Sig Sauer P229 Cal .40s&w
Hopefully soon a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver in Cal .357 Magnum

I think that's everything covered for now, any more questions then ask away and I will do my best to help biggrin.gif

Shaun.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jan.2009, 09:17 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (ShaunD)
As a member of the pistol club here in Hedemora I can hopefully help you out here !

The law's are not that lax I found when I first started.

Firstly you have to be a member of a gun club, I know of one called www.thetarget.se in Stockholm. When you join the club, in order for your first licence you must attend a new beginners course. Mine was once a week for 10 weeks, after which, you must continue to be an active member of the club for a further 6 months. After this time you can purchase your first (in my case) pistol which can only be in caliber .22lr and your club must give you a paper to approve you when you apply at the police.
If you get bitten by the bug like I have, then you have to wait a further 6 months in order to purchase another pistol in a different caliber. After this you can purchase more with your clubs approval with no time limit but the police can and could ask why if you want to get more in a short time frame.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot, in order to be granted a licence you must have an approved gun safe, which must be a minimum weight and/or bolted solid to the wall/floor. You need to fill in your safe details on the weapon application.

I love the sport and am competing for my club in competitions this summer now !
Since I started I now have the following pistols
High Standard Sharpshooter Cal .22lr
Sig Sauer P229 Cal .40s&w
Hopefully soon a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver in Cal .357 Magnum

I think that's everything covered for now, any more questions then ask away and I will do my best to help biggrin.gif

Shaun.

Is that an open carry permit?

Or transport in a locked box to the club's range.

Or transport without box (wearing) to and from club range, only.
+
ShaunD
post 6.Jan.2009, 09:27 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock)
Is that an open carry permit?

Or transport in a locked box to the club's range.

Or transport without box (wearing) to and from club range, only.

As far as I am aware it's transport (no locked box required) to and from the club range or designated area but in a closed case or bag.

I personally have a locked case that mine are transported in. And of course you must have your licences with you at all times when the handguns are with you.
+
Eric Cantona
post 6.Jan.2009, 09:29 PM
Post #6

Well Roge, thanks for your tip. If all we did was do a Discussions search all the time we'd have nothing to interact, post about and evolve with would we?

I did a search though, and then was pleased to see Shaun made some effort about the subject he's obviously enthused over.

Thank you Shaun - the basic time frame and requirements well summarised and a link to a club too. With a bar. Perfect. Might catch up with you in a competition some time...(and kick your butt!)
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 7.Jan.2009, 02:58 AM
Post #7

Shooting is a great sport. I love it. Good luck.
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 7.Jan.2009, 03:12 AM
Post #8

I shoot clays and introduced trap to my nephews over Christmas. While they are just big enough to hold up the shotgun, they had blast.

Took them out twice. The first time any hits were purely random. The second time was because they actually were learning something.

They learned to be safe and to blame misses on the wind.
+
Kind Man
post 7.Jan.2009, 04:59 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Eric Cantona)

I can show you about the Flowers if you want?

what my dad said to us was my son stay away from guns never touch it. because Gun is made to harm and if you stay with guns one day you would harm someone or someone else would harm you.

my advise is to you as brother to never think about having it.
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 7.Jan.2009, 03:31 PM
Post #10

I can show you about the Flowers if you want?

what my dad said to us was my son stay away from guns never touch it. because Gun is made to harm and if you stay with guns one day you would harm someone or someone else would harm you.

my advise is to you as brother to never think about having it.

LOL. Guns are tools, just like a knife, it is the depraved and fallen man that uses tools for wicked purposes. Guns are indifferent and unfeeling.
+
dsclimb
post 7.Jan.2009, 03:37 PM
Post #11

"my advise is to you as brother to never think about having it."

Plenty of deaths on the road, so I presume you don't drvie either? Everything in life is as safe as the user.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply